Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Worldometers has CA averaging 32 covid deaths per day, whereas FL is at 33 and spiking hard.

This is a very recent development too, I really don't want to see it rise exponentially along with their cases because they have counties that are largely unvaccinated.

Last edited:
Worldometers has CA averaging 32 covid deaths per day, whereas FL is at 33 and spiking hard.

This is a very recent development too, I really don't want to see it rise exponentially along with their cases because they have counties that are largely unvaccinated.

7 day moving average is a bit of a lame measure. You set your node and you can make that type of metric read whatever you want it to read. Also, totally doesn’t work given that states like Florida are irresponsibly not reporting results every day. It’s easy to say they shot up 1000% since a week ago or whatever if a week ago they had 5 cases, all week they had 0, and today they had 50. Those cases occurred throughout the week.

IMG_1864.JPG

That’s a pretty downward trend in deaths.

Also, 33 deaths a day is less than perfect, but “spiking” is a bit dramatic.

7 day moving average is a bit of a lame measure. You set your node and you can make that type of metric read whatever you want it to read. Also, totally doesn’t work given that states like Florida are irresponsibly not reporting results every day. It’s easy to say they shot up 1000% since a week ago or whatever if a week ago they had 5 cases, all week they had 0, and today they had 50. Those cases occurred throughout the week.

View attachment 12902

That’s a pretty downward trend in deaths.

Also, 33 deaths a day is less than perfect, but “spiking” is a bit dramatic.
Very true that it's more difficult to track Florida's data when they're so irresponsibly inconsistent about reporting it.

I think what I'm disturbed by is that a state of 21 million people even has numbers comparable to California. I would be interested to see the county by county data alongside the vaccine numbers to see the apparent correlations. Miami-Dade actually has decent vaccine numbers but I know the state is full of antivax pockets where variants can thrive.

We’ve been several times over the past 10 years or so, and the clubbing is pretty astonishing for what’s basically a small Portuguese fishing village — it’s all old and small and crowded and sweaty and that’s what makes us so great, but also exactly why we said no way this year.

Yeah its quite the place, the difference from off season to a summer holiday weekend is remarkable.

kL4aT.gif

My husband and I were going to head down to the US (even with all the inconveniences) to do some hiking in August while our kids are visiting his parents. Unfortunately, Colorado has really shitty looking pockets too. And I'm honestly not worried at all about getting sick (if, while double vaccinated + having had COVID I catch it and am very ill, well then there's probably little hope for any of us). But if it's percolating enough in the community that either of us get it and are asymptomatic but positive and can't fly back, that's a pretty epic catastrophe so now we'll probably pass and do something within Canada instead.

Mask mandates, while annoying, really aren't that bothersome or intrusive. We're still under one here and frankly I don't see us coming out of it either, just basically rolling into the next wave.

But any restrictions that go further than that, like business closures, a return to virtual schooling, closing down of personal services, etc...and you really have to wonder how much the 70-80% who are vaccinated are willing to tolerate from the 20% that insist on being selfish. Isn't this setting us all up for some massive scale civil disobedience at some point? I have no interest in shutting down my life again because a minority of people are ignorant assholes.

The only reason another mask mandate would bother me at all is psychological. Setback, all of that. I have already decided to wear one again so that's that anyway. They're not political at all to me.

As for more shutdowns in US the economy can't take it and neither can people. It's "ironic" I guess that the very people who protested about muh freedumb and about shutdowns are now the people continuing the problem by refusing to get vaccinated just to stick it to Joe.

Hannity last night, Ben Shapiro (albeit in the most Ben Shapiro way) today.

either the GOP is spooked by the stock market crash or someone threatened to sue - but it looks like some right wing talking heads are finally encouraging people to get vaxxed.

honestly - and i hate myself for saying this? but the biden administration should do whatever they can to get the orange guy to say it, too.

tell him his inauguration crowd was bigger. whatever. let's save more lives and put this behind us, by any means necessary.

Anti-vax folks need to feel pain for what they are putting the rest of us through. We should require a record of immunization for air travel, amusement parks, theaters, etc.

Fuck your feelings. Right?

Anti-vax folks need to feel pain for what they are putting the rest of us through. We should require a record of immunization for air travel, amusement parks, theaters, etc.

Fuck your feelings. Right?
100%

Especially on air travel. I get that it'll be near impossible to institute these requirements on a state by state level - but things that are controlled by Federal law? Yea, required immunization needs to be done

https://twitter.com/tap_1_0/status/1417616113794535424?s=21

Probably both polling numbers / killing your voters plus a push from corporate America as they want their workforce back
One day I'd like to see a study done as to how many more Trump or Trump leaning voters (vs. liberal voters) died in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania and whether or not that difference would have swung the vote in any of those states... especially GA and AZ.

One day I'd like to see a study done as to how many more Trump or Trump leaning voters (vs. liberal voters) died in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania and whether or not that difference would have swung the vote in any of those states... especially GA and AZ.

considering that black people are killed by covid at a much higher rate than white people, i'd wager that it actually probably had the opposite effect in GA, and that it killed more biden voters in atlanta than trump voters in the rest of the state.

considering that black people are killed by covid at a much higher rate than white people, i'd wager that it actually probably had the opposite effect in GA, and that it killed more biden voters in atlanta than trump voters in the rest of the state.

Right. As nobody was able to be vaccinated yet last November, the political lines weren't as much a factor in who was getting sick ( a bit with the behavior patterns maybe).

Yea I'm not 100% on the lack of political impact

https://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-rel...tion-and-covid-19-case-and-death-numbers.html

I wonder more about as the pandemic dragged on past the first few months. The major, liberal leaning cities saw improvements and didn't take the brunt of the second and third waves as badly, whereas more rural areas, specifically in the south, did.

Still may be the case that more person's of color/liberal voters died, but it would make an interesting case study. Maybe it would be more of a localized effect vs national.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom