Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, the Q/Anti Vax people are having a field day with this news

Meanwhile some or many of them take prescription and non prescription meds and probably don't always read the warnings about possible serious side effects.

The J&J issue is also so bad because pharmacies were receiving most of them. For people with transportation and convenience difficulties, your local pharmacy is the place to go.

In all of my online searches for appointments CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart pharmacies all had just Johnson and Johnson.

Yeah, my anti-vaxer right wing nut job associates are pretty much acting like this:

“OMG 6 people got blood clots OMg and they want us all to get vaccinated!?” 6 people out of almost 7 million doses mind you.

Meanwhile, these are the same nut jobs who, when you tell them there’s been almost 3 million reported Covid deaths, just brush it off like:

“whatever man there’s a 9999999 point whatever survival rate.”

Its 6 cases out of 7 million...so not convinced the risk of delaying versus protection it can provide balances.

As for the EU, they've spent months rubbishing AZ, of which they have 20 odd million doses that haven't been used in various storage locations.

Our govt has recently issued a recommendation for under 50s not to take AZ, which has pushed the 'completion' of our vaccine rollout out 6 months because otherwise we're waiting on Pfizer shipments to trickle in and for Novavax to be approved which will only come in the second half of the year.

Just find this interesting, for such a young very fit athlete to experience these effects. Insidious virus, the long term effects are still such a mystery. Doesn't matter how physically fit you were before getting covid.

Celtics star Jayson Tatum has been dealing with the effects of COVID-19 for months, and over the last 10 games, he has started to look more like himself.

On Tuesday, after the Celtics defeated the Portland Trail Blazers, Tatum said he was “very close” to 100 percent, and he offered up some new information about his recovery.

“I take an inhaler before the game since I’ve tested positive,” Tatum said. “This has kind of helped with that and opened up my lungs and, you know, I never took an inhaler before. So that’s something different. I for sure feel better now than I did a month ago.”

Tatum said Celtics trainers have not indicated when he can stop using the inhaler. For many people who experience the effects of COVID long after their initial positive test, the recovery process remains something of a mystery.

Tatum, who is 23, tested positive on Jan. 9. He missed nearly three weeks, returning on Jan. 26.

In February, Tatum shot just 39.7 percent from the floor — a major dip below his usual numbers. As he put distance between himself and his positive test, those numbers normalized. Before Tuesday’s game (in which he scored 32 points), he was averaging 29.4 points in April on 51-percent shooting.

In early March, Tatum told reporters he still didn’t feel 100 percent nearly two full months after he was first diagnosed.

“I’ve talked to guys that said it took months for them to kind of catch their breath, and get their wind back. And I think I’m kind of on the same track with that,” Tatum said. “I for sure feel better. I don’t feel necessarily the same before I got it when I was playing. I definitely know there’s a difference. But I feel pretty good.”

https://newrepublic.com/article/162...=EB_TNR&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1618244062

I think it's very important, even as the United States is finally getting vaccines rolled out on a mass scale, to try to learn from the experience and understand why things were botched so badly. It came in many forms, and one of the ones that has been overlooked has been the pure greed of those at the top of these industries. Big pharma's insistence, aided and abetted by Bill Gates, that intellectual property must be maintained through this entire process, has had a massive negative effect. It's one of the main reasons that the vaccine rollout is being entirely focused on wealthy nations, and that poorer nations will be last in line and may not see vaccines until 2022 or 2023.

To get back to this, here is a good letter that a number of NGOs (including Amnesty, Oxfam, MSF) have sent to the head of the WTO on the question of patents:

https://twn.my/title2/intellectual_property/trips_waiver_proposal/CSOLetter_Dr. Ngozi.pdf

We believe that the way forward should be to remove barriers towards the development, production and approval of vaccines, therapeutics and other medical technologies necessary for the prevention, containment and treatment of the COVID-19 pandemic, so that more manufacturers, especially from developing countries, may independently contribute to the global supply. Global supply should not be dependent on the purely commercial prerogatives and exclusive rights of pharmaceutical companies holding the technology. There is simply too much at stake. In the context of WTO, temporarily waiving relevant intellectual property rules that reinforce monopolies, is an important contribution that the WTO as a rule-based multilateral institution can make on this matter in the pandemic, alongside reaffirming and supporting the full use of existing public-health-safeguarding flexibilities of the TRIPs agreement. Voluntary licensing, if pursued, should treat vaccine as a global public good, be open and allow for transparent global non-exclusive licenses with worldwide coverage of supply, and left to the WHO that has established C-TAP for this purpose.

Our govt has recently issued a recommendation for under 50s not to take AZ, which has pushed the 'completion' of our vaccine rollout out 6 months because otherwise we're waiting on Pfizer shipments to trickle in and for Novavax to be approved which will only come in the second half of the year.

I've definitely complained about our government (the feds for not procuring quickly enough, the provinces for having ridiculous rollouts) but what's happening in Australia just beggars belief.

It's as if your Prime Minister concluded that you've eradicated COVID and is totally happy plodding along with the border closed indefinitely.

I do think Australia is in an ironically difficult position - absolutely nobody will be willing to export to them since life there is going on basically like normal - but the Australian PM is just...wow.

Scott Morrison is essentially Mike Pence in many ways, his bible thumping and complete inability to view women as humans chief amongst them.

He had the sense to leave the initial handling of the pandemic to the State Premiers while his team focussed on on Federal aid. Since then he’s been using the bully pulpit to snipe at Premiers belonging to the opposition party and completely bungled the vaccine rollout. That’s now being handed over to the Premiers too, in a complete “I don’t know what I’m doing” passing of the buck. The NSW Premier, of the same party as him and who he has held up as a standard other Premiers should meet, is now taking pot shots at him and unaligning herself.

Not even going to get started on his absolute failures as both the leader of our country and his own party in the past 18 months.

Yes, life is pretty much back to normal. NSW just had 700,000 people attend the Easter Show across 2 weeks without any known cases emerging and I’m looking forward to seeing Hamilton at the theatre next weekend. But we’re stuck in a holding pattern of closed borders (NZ is the only place we can legally travel to) with no end in sight. Nobody wants restrictions to return but we don’t want a return to pre-80s global isolation either. We’re kind of a bubble boy country with no immune system to the outside world.

Crazy to see that the US and UK, two of the most horrifically mismanaged countries during the pandemic, are now world leaders in the vaccine rollout. The US is lucky to have Biden over Trump, whilst Boris in the UK seems to have filled his pockets enough over the last year that he’s finally let the NHS take the lead.

Last edited:
What’s surprising about the US and UK leading the vaccine rollout? They led the production of the vaccines. Mismanaged, yes, but I think this was always the understanding that they’d go first.

More that the rollouts have been pretty successful. Boris has let the NHS take the lead and even with Trump out of office, the US still has an obstructive opposition and 50 states with different agendas. Not hard to imagine how Boris and Trump could have bungled this too.

Doubt US leadership, that’s always easy, but similarly to the UK I wouldn’t doubt the sheer capability of the federal lifelong employees whose job it is to make that shit work. They’re bigger than any one president, and for as bad as someone like Trump or Bojo might be, I’d say both the UK and US have pretty effective everyday civil servants (for better or for worse).

I agree, it’s just that it only takes one DeJoy to really muck everything up and set the frontline workers back from their full capacity. That thankfully doesn’t seem to have happened this time on either side of the Atlantic.

What’s surprising about the US and UK leading the vaccine rollout? They led the production of the vaccines. Mismanaged, yes, but I think this was always the understanding that they’d go first.

This is basically what the US was made to do - outmanufacture everyone. It's one of its strongest suits and largely contributes to its dominance over the last century. Shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

The UK less so, but I think they had no choice given where they were with the rates of infection and their variant.

Pfizer confirming a third dose (booster) will be needed within 12 months. We knew this was probably the case but it makes the long-term management of this really complicated, particularly in the developing world.

This is basically what the US was made to do - outmanufacture everyone. It's one of its strongest suits and largely contributes to its dominance over the last century. Shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

The UK less so, but I think they had no choice given where they were with the rates of infection and their variant.

The vaccine was UK developed, I think that alone got them the priority but I could be wrong.

Pfizer confirming a third dose (booster) will be needed within 12 months. We knew this was probably the case but it makes the long-term management of this really complicated, particularly in the developing world.

You mean Pfizer’s... CEO... saying we will need round 3, despite data not yet existing for what things look like 12 months in.

Pretty sure every drug making CEO wants annual vaccines to be a thing. Let’s hope not.

You mean Pfizer’s... CEO... saying we will need round 3, despite data not yet existing for what things look like 12 months in.

Pretty sure every drug making CEO wants annual vaccines to be a thing. Let’s hope not.

That's true. It's been shown that dog rabies shots last for years but we've been maniacally vaccinating every 1-3 years for decades.

They didn't confirm it will be needed. He said it was likely needed and that they were going to begin creating it. He even said that this is just a guess and not confirmed, but that doesn't make for a good headline.

It's impossible for then to know for sure as the data isn't available yet. From all reports the antibodies after 6 months are still sky high, so annual vaccination may not be necessary.

It is entirely possible that annual shots so become recommended, similar to the flu shot. We just don't know yet. As the flu and covid-19 are related it's not crazy to think that this will become the norm, but the efficacy of the MRNA technology is so good that we just won't know until we get more data. The regular flu shot averages around 40% efficacy.

Here's his exact quote;

"A likely scenario is that there will be likely a need for a third dose, somewhere between six and 12 months and then from there, there will be an annual revaccination, but all of this needs to be confirmed. And again, variants will play a key role."

As the flu and covid-19 are related it's not crazy to think that this will become the norm, but the efficacy of the MRNA technology is so good that we just won't know until we get more data. The regular flu shot averages around 40% efficacy.

This has nothing to do with mRNA vs "regular" flu shot.

The flu shot is not actually formulated to immunize against the current strain. Rather, mathematical models attempt to predict what strain will be the main one next year based on what they see this year + include a couple of main strains that have cause epidemics in the past. That's why the flu shot has a low efficacy - it's really an educated guess.

No needa be short with the microbiologist in the room
Or whatevs -1*martina was in her prior career. I hope I’m remembering that correctly.

He had also been on a plane with the Governor of South Dakota

Rolling Stone

Over the past few decades, Ted Nugent’s controversial, often confrontational politics have overshadowed his music, and over the last year he has spent most of his energy on denying the existence of Covid-19. Now Nugent, whose age at 72 makes him one of the most vulnerable to the virus, has admitted he has contracted the coronavirus.

“Everybody told me I should not announce this,” he said in a Facebook Live broadcast on Monday afternoon. “I have had flu symptoms for the last 10 days. … I thought I was dying, just a clusterfuck.” Then, after some digressions, he got to the point, using his typically uncooked vernacular: “I was tested positive today. I got the Chinese shit. … I got a stuffed-up head, body aches, my God, what a pain in the ass. I literally could hardly crawl out of bed the last few days, but I did, I crawled. … So I was officially tested positive for Covid-19 today.

He spent the rest of his nine-minute video slurring China, describing a contentious conversation he conducted with a doctor, casting doubts on the ingredients in Covid vaccines, and praising My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell. At one juncture, he paused to belch the first name of Barack Obama, whom Nugent once called a “subhuman mongrel.”

Nugent has long embraced far-right conservative touchstones, supporting the NRA, opposing animal rights, bemoaning the very existence of Obama, and supporting Donald Trump, the president who fueled much of Nugent’s anti-Chinese rhetoric about the virus.

Last August, Nugent had described Covid-19 as a “leftist scam to destroy [Trump],” according to Blabbermouth. In the same statement, he baselessly accused politicians of sweeping other deaths under the Covid umbrella, to make the number of Covid deaths bigger, and blasted Fox News for supporting those claims. The singer and guitarist, who brags that he did not graduate college in his first Facebook live, has previously denounced mask mandates, and Blabbermouth reports he has said that he would not get a vaccine. Earlier this month, he disputed CDC reports that more than half a million people have died of the virus without any evidence to support his claims.

Yep, Nuge is a certified moron.
His previous Facebook live post from a couple weeks ago was ranting about not being able to tour and wondering why we are locked down for Covid-19 when we didn't lock down for Covids 1-18,
I would never wish the virus on anyone, but him getting it is definitely a bit of just desserts.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone either. But I think covid deniers create bad karma, will just say it that way. Their denial must be so hurtful to people who lost loved ones.

And of course Trump got treatment that countless people didn't have any access to. And he received the vaccines privately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom