Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is absolutely fucking despicable. Holy shit. What in the goddamn hell is WRONG with people

All the teachers, students, and parents across this country should all just do a national strike and refuse to go into any schools. They can't force everyone to go back, after all. And they need to demand that a) everything be done online until schools are considered safe to go back, and b) that everyone forcing these people back and spying on the kids and trying to cover up the complete lack of safety regulations and whatnot face criminal charges. Serious criminal charges. They are putting people's lives at risk and they do not care. They need to face the consequences of that.
After getting absolutely shellacked for it, the school reversed the suspension...sending this girl back into that petri dish school of hers. Great.

Over the weekend New Zealand marked 100 days of ZERO covid cases. I wish I could move there.

With varied results regionally basically all of the western world has done much better than the US. Some by leaps and bounds.

Let’s not forget that New Zealand, unlike Europe and Australia, is afforded the luxury of being like a minimum of 4-5 hours by flight away from literally every population.

It appears that we Americans are so disease ridden that the mere thought of moving to New Zealand on an internet forum has caused an outbreak in that country.

And they’ve gone straight back into level 3 restrictions. All non essential businesses to close from noon Wednesday, the very next day from the reported cases. Restrictions initially to last until the end of Friday. Leadership.

And they’ve gone straight back into level 3 restrictions. All non essential businesses to close from noon Wednesday, the very next day from the reported cases. Restrictions initially to last until the end of Friday. Leadership.

Yes that is leadership. I wasn't even aware that they had an outbreak in that short of a time period. It's depressing enough to keep up with the situation in the US.

From what I just read quickly, NZ had 4 cases in one household in Auckland (their most populated area), and the increased restrictions apply just to Auckland. Targeted scientific approach immediately-what a concept. If only that could happen in the US, without the insane politicitization and conspiracy theories. And our narcissistic dolt "president".

Who would have thought that the secret to curing the world of coronavirus was in front of us all this time...

Didn’t take long for Trump and GOP to politicize College Football.

Trump and his crime buddies stating things like athletes won’t get sick. Just some sniffles.

Odds are in the athletes favor they’ll be fine, but enough get exposed / infected and some will get seriously sick or worse.

I wonder how parents, coaches, and school officials will feel if they use the GOP, anti science approach when its one of their own that falls victim ?

Or is entertainment and $$$ really the only thing that matters in this country ?

It’s not so much about money, it’s that college football is essentially what Deep South and some midwestern states have in place of professional sports.

It’s more white identity bullshit.

Russia saying they have a vaccine. Gotta help Donnie.

I read Putin said his daughter already got a shot of this untested vaccine. And that's how you find out whether you are daddy's favourite child

They're not wrong that the odds of a player getting seriously sick, while not impossible, is unlikely.

They'll turn into traveling hordes of super spreaders, but very few of any will get seriously sick.

Considering how many healthy young people with not more than mild symptoms report problems breathing for months after, it could be a short season this year.

Von Miller of the Broncos caught covid early on and said that it knocked the crap out of him. He lost 15lbs, fatigued all the time, and more than a few moments thought he was going to need a hospital visit.

He appears to be fully recovered but i have to imagine that his experience will be similar to a lot of athletes.

If you drop 10-20lbs during the season that’s a lot of muscle and power that’s not going to come back after you are cleared to play. So a 2 week absence could turn into a month or even a season.

I just can’t fathom any parent wanting to risk the health of everyone with this thing. Ok, get it football is rough. It wrecks the human body in its own way. But one person getting a concussion during the game doesn’t mean six others suddenly drop with head injuries a few days later.

But hey this is Freedom Country

Von Miller of the Broncos caught covid early on and said that it knocked the crap out of him. He lost 15lbs, fatigued all the time, and more than a few moments thought he was going to need a hospital visit.

He appears to be fully recovered but i have to imagine that his experience will be similar to a lot of athletes.

If you drop 10-20lbs during the season that’s a lot of muscle and power that’s not going to come back after you are cleared to play. So a 2 week absence could turn into a month or even a season.

I just can’t fathom any parent wanting to risk the health of everyone with this thing. Ok, get it football is rough. It wrecks the human body in its own way. But one person getting a concussion during the game doesn’t mean six others suddenly drop with head injuries a few days later.

For colleges, yes. For Pence, it’s about doing the white, Christian thing.
There's billions of dollars for corporations and TV and what not tied up in college football. Colleges aren't the only ones who will take a hit if they cancel here.

There's no doubt that the redder states have bigger interest in college football than the bluer states in the northeast - so sure, they're also playing to their base. But end of the day it always starts and ends with the dollar.

Look I never said that it's nobody will experience a bad case. But it is true that the odds of younger athlete having a really bad case are slim. Not impossible, but slim.

It is also kinda silly to say football can't play but students can go back to campus. What are you really accomplishing?

Look I'm in favor of pushing all non professional fall sports to the spring - college football included.

But the biggest issue with playing is NOT kids dying. The biggest issue with playing is the same as the biggest issue with this damn thing in general - that the little asymptomatic bastards become super spreaders.

And look - we're probably going to live with this virus forever. The vaccine isn't going to get rid of it. The hope is simply that we can make this virus to actually be like the flu (and for real this time, not gzusfrk's pipe dream or an Ordinary Spring [emoji769]).

When it is actually really just like the flu? Tens of thousands of eople still die from the flu - mostly the elderly, but occasionally a young and healthy person as well. It's just closer to 20,000 to 60,000 and not, ya know, 200,000 on a couple of months.

But at some point we will need to decide on an acceptable level or death from this thing and get on with our lives, as morbid and awful as that may sound. We've been doing just that for decades.

I agree that we do need to start thinking long term and how do we live with this thing.

We must suppress it though. We can't function with a 50,000 case a day outbreak for years at a time (assuming there really isn't a long lasting immunity). Human beings won't go to work, school, or sports if they're afraid. Throw in our healthcare system isn't set up to handle wave after wave of infections.

The month of May was a good experiment. Most states tried to get on with life, and after four to five weeks, their hospitals got overrun.

It's not going to happen under Trump, but maybe if Biden can take over we get a full on national shutdown. 4-5 weeks, Euro/Asia style. Suppress the virus. Instead of getting down to the 20k cases we had at end of April, we get down to hundreds.

Then we have a plan on how to roll people back into jobs, schools, sports. Then react quickly when cases flare up. Much easier to trace and isolate a few hundred people versus a football stadium crowd.

The thing we do have going for us is the science and treatment will get better. As you said, somehow we have to get this bug to be as lethal as the flu. Vaccines, therapies, and our own immune system adapting over time.

The other discussion is that this pandemic has showed how big of a failure this American experiment has become. I'm not as against capitalism as some on here, but what we have isn't that. It's crony capitalism at best.

This pandemic does provide us with a chance to change how our society and country should look. Healthcare, Universal Income, how we work, play, eat, and of course how we treat one another. Innovation should blossom out of necessity.

I don't think Biden is that guy, but maybe he can surround himself with people who will challenge for a new social contract. Going back to the way things were, that'll just repeat this cycle. That "normal" was the cause for this reality. If we want something better, we have to change for the better.

We are on an upward slope again in Germany. Last week consistently around 800 new cases per day, then progressing to 1000, and yesterday it was close to 1500.

The last 2.5 months felt a different kind of normal, which makes it difficult to keep up the attention. And then there were summer travels. Really not surprising.

one of the main arguments from the college athletes themselves about why they should be playing is that they are safer from covid in the environment that has been set up at many of these bigger schools- which includes testing and isolation from the rest of the student body - vs., well, this...

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1293932308077174784

... aaaaaaand they're not wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom