Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Open 'er up!

1000x-1.jpg

Why is Bruce Arians at a protest in Michigan? (right above the" Freedom TRUMPS safety" sign)

Last edited:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...px.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

Good old Rand Paul, who had Covid-19, tells us that "outside of New England we've had a relatively benign course for this virus nationwide"", and then tells Fauci he isn't the "end all, the one person who gets to make a decision" about the virus.

Is he so stupid he thinks New York and New Jersey are part of New England?
I like the way Fauci replied to him.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...px.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

Good old Rand Paul, who had Covid-19, tells us that "outside of New England we've had a relatively benign course for this virus nationwide"", and then tells Fauci he isn't the "end all, the one person who gets to make a decision" about the virus.

I saw that, lol what a fool. I'm not listening to a guy who allegedly still went swimming in the Senate pool when he had covid. Maybe I'm wrong about that, it's been a long long lockdown. He did at least one stupid thing I believe.:D

Been thinking ... would imagine the reason that the protestors are so much more “intense” (for lack of a better word) in Michigan than in other places is likely due to the governor’s gender.

A lot of men, and women, don’t like a woman telling them what to do. It’s really sad.

I believe you are correct about that, and that's one reason we can't have a female President. Even though so many people will never admit to that, it's true. Sometimes it's subconscious too, some people are raised and socialized that way.

There's a protest this weekend against the male MA governor. At his home. I don't know how many people will show up or what it will be like. Hopefully because of MA laws firearms won't be an issue.

Gov Whitmer is on the View right now.

Fingers crossed that this continues over the next 4-6 weeks.

With this virus it seems like momentum really matters. Everyone is now thinking that it has been around longer than we may have thought initially and it was really slow to spread to the point of a lockdown being required. And then it took a couple of months in the hardest hit places for the numbers to really start coming down - I remember following Italy's numbers and thinking that these people have been under a (much more draconian than us) lockdown for a month and they are still posting increases daily and many more deaths.

So here is to hoping that we still see these positive trends around the end of June.

It makes sense when you realize that “Dr.” Rand Paul either would not, or more likely, could not get board certified in fucking ophthalmology and created his own mail order professional certification organization to accredit himself.

It makes sense when you realize that “Dr.” Rand Paul either would not, or more likely, could not get board certified in fucking ophthalmology and created his own mail order professional certification organization to accredit himself.

I didn't know that. I bet he graduated from Trump University.

Been thinking ... would imagine the reason that the protestors are so much more “intense” (for lack of a better word) in Michigan than in other places is likely due to the governor’s gender.

A lot of men, and women, don’t like a woman telling them what to do. It’s really sad.

I definitely agree this is a factor. There's a reason Trump called her "that woman", and his base is all about the sexism.

The data in NY continues to improve significantly. Percentage of positive tests is now 6.4. The number of deaths continues to decline. We might get to under 100 deaths per day in about a week - still terrible, but considering where we were in mid-April, it's a relief.

The data in NY continues to improve significantly. Percentage of positive tests is now 6.4. The number of deaths continues to decline. We might get to under 100 deaths per day in about a week - still terrible, but considering where we were in mid-April, it's a relief.

:up:

The good news numbers are basically all down to the response in NY and NJ (and to a lesser extent some surrounding states). They did the responsible thing. If you take that data out then the stats on testing and rates are less impressive.

Don't understand this political opposition to masks. Just watched a video about Costco members boycotting the store (and complaining on Twitter) because Costco is requiring masks.

One of them said that "masks are used to condition you into unquestioning servitude of the government".

Reporting in again from the dumbest state in America. Our republican state Supreme Court just overturned the stay at home orders. Restaurants and bars are happily opening up tomorrow.

It's weirdly dispiriting that California is now bringing in more numbers a day than any other state. We were lauded for the effort we put in to keep the curve flattened, but nothing appears to be improving, at least on the surface. 1,700-1,900 cases, 80-90+ deaths every day without much change.

The good news is that we've reported at least 32,000 tests every day for a week straight and got over 40,000 twice. April 23-25, we reported 40,000 tests total. Roughly 13,000 a day. Today's percent of positive tests was around 5.5%.

Last edited:
The US reported more recoveries than new cases today for the first time in the entire pandemic. As such, active cases finally went down.
Good news! Though I worry re: opening up areas too fast, too soon. Otoh IF the most major biggest cities are now lessenning the number of new cases over all and they still enforce proper social distancing, mask-wearing etc - if cases rise more in the 'burbs, and rural areas would the numbers be less over all b/c of lower population? (I hope that makes sense, and still horrific for all involved)

It IS sad. Never bothered me. How they treated me, others was what counted.

Why is Bruce Arians at a protest in Michigan? (right above the" Freedom TRUMPS safety" sign)
So who's Bruce Arians?

Must be cv-stay@home tiredness getting to me; Native NYC'r, we vacationed all over New England when we were kids to mid-teens, have had North NJ relatives all our livesand I totally missed RP including NY, NJ as part of New England. :lol:
I have to check out Dr Fauci's reply.

From that link...

Nice to see a Republican actually call them out for what they are. Now if only the rest of the state's party would get it together and quit straddling the fence and trying to appease these nutjobs.

They are serving the public, you fucking dumbass. Seriously, this insanity wouldn't be allowed for any other group of people, it shouldn't be allowed here. These assholes are going to get someone killed eventually over this. Put them in jail for endangering the public and intimidating and threatening people and take away their guns.

I love that :D. .I'm glad the majority of the state's residents support her policies, and I hope she continues to stand firm. Seems at this point the best thing for the Democrats to do going forward is to just continue doing their jobs and let the GOP take itself down with its own foolishness and craziness.
Omg, a Republican actually spoke back against these ass-hats?!
I sure hope they'll take themselves down!

Yes. They chant lock her up at the protests too.
Ohhh, joy. :|

Don't understand this political opposition to masks. Just watched a video about Costco members boycotting the store (and complaining on Twitter) because Costco is requiring masks.

One of them said that "masks are used to condition you into unquestioning servitude of the government".
As have some suggested one can go serve in a covid19 ward without a mask and see how that feels.

What a warped notion of freedom some people have. It’s all tied to the gun thing.

Great. Maybe we finally won't have to stand in line at Costco for an hour and a half.

It's not just that these people want to re-open the economy. They want to do it 100% on their terms without a single inconvenience or sacrifice. At that point it isn't about economics or livelihood, it's just a dogmatic, unabashedly political position.

It's weirdly dispiriting that California is now bringing in more numbers a day than any other state. We were lauded for the effort we put in to keep the curve flattened, but nothing appears to be improving, at least on the surface. 1,700-1,900 cases, 80-90+ deaths every day without much change.

The good news is that we've reported at least 32,000 tests every day for a week straight and got over 40,000 twice. April 23-25, we reported 40,000 tests total. Roughly 13,000 a day. Today's percent of positive tests was around 5.5%.

Do you think it’s a combo of

Shutting down before everyone else
More tests now
Relaxed measures or nice weather so people are going out more.

Back in March San Diego weather was just gross (for here) and i think the shock and awe of it all kinda jolted everyone to stay in.

Now weather is warming up and May Grey hasn’t really happened. I see way more foot traffic downtown, more cars on the streets, etc.

Just seems almost normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom