Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To dazzled:

Things are opening up in the UK, bit of a mixed bag, I think a certain devil may care attitude to things has settled into society in general. Our main problem seems to be our test and tracing capabilities remain crap but we are full steam ahead for reopening stuff.

Work has felt quite normal the past few weeks, which is great, did a few weeks in ICU but my hospital wasn't hit too bad, and at least I know I used my PPE correctly as my blood test was Covid negative (whether our tests are accurate though ehhhh who knows).

Thanks for replying. :)

Good to know things are more normal for now. Very glad you're healthy :up: .
I've got 2 nurses in my wider circles, so I think of them in particular and the general Health care and essential workers, etc.

I'm sure you've heard a bit of the "Freedom" = NO Masks crowd, plus the lazy, the careless, the disbelieving etc here in The States. :sad: :crack: :|. Yeeeesh!

:wave: Stay safe.

Thanks for everything you're doing, LJT. Glad you made it this far and are still in good health despite all the risks.

Mass. Has Lowest COVID-19 Transmission Rate In The Country, According To Website That Tracks Virus' Spread

June 22, 2020
State House News Service

Massachusetts now has the lowest COVID-19 transmission rate of any state in the country, according to a website that has been compiling state data and tracking transmission trends.

The current Rt for the coronavirus in Massachusetts — a measure of a virus's average transmission rate at a given point in time — is estimated at 0.67, according to the website Rt.live, comfortably below the 1.0 threshold that signifies rapid spread. The Rt value is essentially the number of people that one infected person transmits the virus to.

"The way you really get in trouble with this virus is the reproduction rate — you know, how fast does one person become two, become four, becomes eight, becomes 16, becomes 32 and the like," Gov. Charlie Baker said last week.

The District of Columbia has the second-lowest transmission rate, 0.69 according to the site. In New England, Vermont is the only state with an Rt value above 1, estimated to be 1.03 as of Monday. New Hampshire's rate is estimated at 0.93, Maine's at 0.86, Rhode Island's at 0.78 and Connecticut's at 0.72. The highest Rt value in the country belongs to Hawaii, at 1.57. Overall, there are 31 states with an Rt value at or above 1.

That's some good local news finally.

The biggest revelation in numbers recently has been that the protests had little to no impact on COVID spread, but restaurants and bars opening did.

Mask requirements should be a minimum, but keeping restaurants takeout only should really be the expectation going forward. There's no safe way to do it otherwise, especially in cities where space is at a premium.

That is very informative, thanks. I think it only reinforces the notion that sports/concerts and restaurants/bars have to be the last things that come back into play. The list of things you need to do to properly space and ventilate is simply not possible for most restaurants/bars.

And here we go...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/23/...avel-coronavirus-reopening-borders-draft-list

They won't be the only ones. And this is what those people rushing to reopen the economy so that restaurants and bars and hair salons can reopen don't understand - the larger impact on the US and by extension global, economy as a result of the US' abject failure to get this under control in the manner that the rest of the developed world has is staggering.

Think about what it means when American businessmen/women can't travel or conduct business abroad personally. How that affects the US supply chain and where the world will move to instead and so on. It will be brutal. Because some people can't be bothered to listen to reason.

It's terrible.

And it doesn't/didn't have to be this way. Literally every other developing country has gotten this under control.

Yes, Trump is to blame for most of it, BUT it's also the sycophant Republican governors who are acting only to please his majesty and not in the best interests of their people. This is why the election is so important - there has to be a top to bottom cleaning out. And finally, the Americans who choose to follow these brazen criminals have to take some responsibility. When you see idiots in an evangelical church cheering on Trump as he bullshits about Kung Flu, it reinforces their complete moral failures. Compare that to the Northeast, which was hit very hard, where people were dying by the minute and where most people, whether it was comfortable or convenient or not, managed to suck it up and act like big boys and girls and think not only of themselves but their neighbours and fellow citizens.

The way our country operates as 50 autonomous states is definitely the issue. Other nations can have one federal set of rules that everyone follows, doesn't happen here. So you end up with different outcomes in different states/regions, and then the travel within the country will just cause more outbreaks.

The way our country operates as 50 autonomous states is definitely the issue. Other nations can have one federal set of rules that everyone follows, doesn't happen here. So you end up with different outcomes in different states/regions, and then the travel within the country will just cause more outbreaks.

We don't.

Healthcare in Canada is a provincial issue, per our constitution. Which is why you also saw really different rates in different provinces. However, our provincial premiers basically adopted the same or very similar set of rules re: lockdowns, regardless of which party they belong to. That's the difference - like I said, the GOP sycophant governors have a lot of blame to shoulder here.

And its a lot easier to get 13 governments to band together for something than 50.
Plus you have poutine. Everyone can get along while indulging in poutine.

That’s where strong federal leadership is needed, especially in times of crisis. I agree that it’s impossible to compare the US to, say, France. But if Trump cared about anyone but himself he could have easily gotten the red state governors to go along with a much stronger response. Because the decadent elites in liberal hellhole cities were always going to do the right thing anyway.

One good bit of news is that the US and the EU death rates are pretty similar ... at least for now.

I don’t think the morbidity will be as bad as it was in April since we’ve gotten better at treating the disease and the average patient is less grandma in the Bronx and more Becky doing body shots on the lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom