Glenn Beck Has A Dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once in my class we were reading Sounder and on the first page the words "negro school" appears.

A black student raised her hand and said she was offended by that word.

I gave a brief answer on how the term to refer to race has changed through the years. I gave The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) as an example.

We continued reading chapter one.

It was Black History Month and that afternoon we has an assembly in the gym to celebrate.

The celebration included a group of singers.

On the program we gave to each student were the words "Negro spirituals."

Glenn Beck is everything that's wrong with America today ...

But on this actually agree with him. African-American is a term that had it's time, and really is useless at this point. Black serves the same purpose, is generally more accurate (it's shocking how often white Americans call blacks "African-Americans" even when they're not from America), and, as a bonus, has less syllables.

It bother me that Glenn Beck is called a f@#king moron for saying, "African-American is a bogus, PC, made-up term. I mean, that’s not a race."

It bothers me that some Americans are so PC they don't know what to call a black man or woman from another country.
Glenn Beck is a fucking moron, but for completely different reasons.

Nelson Mandela is black. Seal is black.

Also, this post is sponsored by Goldline.

Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – The top Democrat in the U.S. Senate apologized on Saturday for comments he made about Barack Obama's race during the 2008 presidential bid and are quoted in a yet-to-be-released book about the campaign.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described in private then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."

But Beck's the racist :angry:

Someone else's bigotry does not make Beck any more or less racist, sorry.

I don't think Beck or Reid are racists.

Or necessarily racist for Jimmy Carter to call Obama "this black boy".

Or for Joe Biden to call Obama "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

Obviously it depends entirely on who says it, right?

Do they have to be beating someone in order for you to call them racists? Seriously, what does it take?

What does it take for someone that disagrees with you NOT to be a racist, sexist, homophobe, fucking moron or an anti-science teabagger.

Seriously, what does it take?

What does it take for someone that disagrees with you NOT to be a racist, sexist, homophobe, fucking moron or an anti-science teabagger.

Seriously, what does it take?

There disagreement to be based on logic, facts, and understanding.

Not hate, fear, or disillusionment.

I have always respected those that disagree with me and have been able to back and explain their stance.

Beck, Rush, and some in here can't do that. I and many others have shown you NUMEROUS examples of racism and sexism by Rush, Beck, and others. You choose to ignore it. :shrug: Personally I think it says something about a person when they are given so many examples and turn a blind eye to it...

No doubt in my mind that there's a double standard at work there among some people. Not for me-racist remarks are racist remarks are racist remarks. I don't know enough about Beck (don't care to watch his show) or Reid to declare if either or both are racists-they can let their own words and deeds speak for themselves. But it's not a case of neener neener-Reid made a racist remark so somehow Beck is on a different playing field somehow. It certainly is fair to point to double standards when they exist. If a Republican said the same as Reid would Obama be calling for his resignation as Steele claimed? Not from what I have seen regarding how he deals with matters of race. Would others-I would guess definitely. They're all a bunch of hypocrites in my eyes anyway.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with these people because I can't understand why they say these things in the year 2009 or 10 or whenever.

Bill Clinton also allegedly said that a few years ago Obama would have been getting us coffee :| The out of control egos in politics are part of it-the rest, well it rears its' ugly head for the world to see sometimes. He certainly had plenty of other ugly things about the President during the campaign-like Hillary said, she can't control him and he can become a problem.

Looks as if there's quite a bit of juicy book selling stuff in that Game Change book. It's not as if it never occurred to these people that people would talk and books could be written, etc. It's not pretty to see this type of stuff exposed-on the other hand how surprising is it? Politics really are dirty.

Not nearly as funny as Countdown with Keith Olbermann. That guy's a hoot.

That would sting if I actually liked Keith Olbermann. I may agree with his political leanings, but he's no more of a journalist than the gang over at FOX. He's an entertainer and a douche-y one at that, just like Glenn.

That would sting if I actually liked Keith Olbermann. I may agree with his political leanings, but he's no more of a journalist than the gang over at FOX. He's an entertainer and a douche-y one at that, just like Glenn.

I can't entirely agree with the last part. I'm not necessarily saying Keith is an out-and-out journalist, but I think Keith comes across as more intelligent, more fact-conscious, and more professional than Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity or even Bill O'Reilly. I mean, how often does Keith get caught in lies or intentional manipulations of the truth, and how often do they other guys? How often do people say Keith is crazy or nuts or whatever, and how often do people say that about Glenn or Rush? Keith comes off, to me at least, as having some dignity and some respect for the truth, and I can't say the same for the other names I mentioned.

I've said the same thing on here numerous times, and yet the myth that we're all on the Olbermann bandwagon persists.

Does anybody even watch MSNBC?

It's just the weirdest channel - 8 hours of news, and then a bunch of shows about life in prison.

I can't entirely agree with the last part. I'm not necessarily saying Keith is an out-and-out journalist, but I think Keith comes across as more intelligent, more fact-conscious, and more professional than Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity or even Bill O'Reilly. I mean, how often does Keith get caught in lies or intentional manipulations of the truth, and how often do they other guys? How often do people say Keith is crazy or nuts or whatever, and how often do people say that about Glenn or Rush? Keith comes off, to me at least, as having some dignity and some respect for the truth, and I can't say the same for the other names I mentioned.

But he resorts to the same immature antics and exaggerations that those guys do. O'Reilly and Olbermann are mirror images of one another.

CNN is by far the most reasonable and moderate of the news channels. MSNBC and Fox are both very partisan.

I've said the same thing on here numerous times, and yet the myth that we're all on the Olbermann bandwagon persists.

It just proves how many on the Right are on the Beck/Hannity/O'Reilly/Coulter/Limbaugh/Malkin/Ingraham etc. fan list. These people have about as much political insight as my cat, but they're worshipped by the GOP. It's the reason their party has no direction.

I liked Keith Olbermann back when he was one of the few people in the media calling out the Bush administration on its b.s., but now I find him tiresome. Rachel Maddow is much funnier and far less pompous.

Cable News Ratings for Monday, January 11, 2010

P2+ Prime Time
FNC – 2.662,000 viewers
CNN – 648,000 viewers
MSNBC –715,000 viewers
CNBC – 296,000 viewers
HLN –595,000 viewers

5PM – P2+ (25-54) (35-64)
Glenn Beck – 2,786,000 viewers (709,000) (1,210,000)
Situation Room—668,000 viewers (147,000) (249,000)
Hardball w/ C. Matthews —443,000 viewers (82,000) (188,000)

8PM – P2+ (25-54) (35-64)
The O’Reilly Factor – 3,499,000 viewers (932,000) (1,600,000)
Campbell Brown – 564,000 viewers (133,000) (216,000)
Countdown w/ K. Olbermann – 909,000 viewers (232,000) (486,000)
CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER, SYNDICATED COLUMNIST: Look, the great thing of Fox News is it broke the monopoly of the liberal media. That's the reason why it is so wildly successful.

I once said years ago that the genius of Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch is to have discovered a niche of American broadcasting audience in news, namely, half of the American people.

And those that live in the warm liberal cocoon of pop culture and academia will never understand that.

you sound like you're saying academia is a bad thing

I spent 6 years in college albiet in Oklahoma during the Reagan years. Liberal Arts that teach students how to think. Good. Liberal Arts that teach them what to think. Not so good.

For instance, speech codes on campus should be, if anything, less restrictive, not more.

Back
Top Bottom