GARLAND, Texas 2 gunmen killed outside Muhammad cartoon contest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolf

Acrobat
GARLAND, Texas 2 gunmen killed outside Muhammad cartoon contest

GARLAND, Texas (AP) — Two armed men who opened fire on a security officer outside of a provocative contest for cartoon depictions of the Prophet Muhammad have been killed, authorities in the Dallas suburb of Garland said Sunday night.

The City of Garland said in a statement posted on its Facebook page Sunday night that two men drove up to the Curtis Culwell Center and began shooting at a security officer.
Garland Police Department officers engaged the gunmen, who were both shot and killed, the statement said.

City: 2 gunmen killed outside Muhammad cartoon contest

Why do people feel the need to engage in provocative actions insulting to people of the Islamic faith?

Why is the response to such provocations to open fire?

Probably the same reason why someone shoots another person because that person accidentally cut them off on the highway. For whatever reason someone is upset and tries to relieve that anger through violence. Except this action seems more planned and thought out so maybe its not the same thing.

And maybe you should hold someone "losing their temper" a little more responsible for their actions, in said case?

And maybe you should hold someone "losing their temper" a little more responsible for their actions, in said case?

Uh, I never assigned a lesser degree of responsibility to anyone engaged in the act of murder. I only attempted to explain why it happens.

If your response to losing your temper is to murder the people that pissed you off, fuck you. Go to prison and stay away from the rest of us. Not really interested in anthropological discourse about people like this.

Last edited:
If your response to losing your temper is to murder the people that pissed you off, fuck you. Go to prison and stay away from the rest of us. Not really interested in anthropological discourse about people like this.

Well, if you're interested in saving lives and ensuring security, you should be. Very often anger will lead to physical assault/violence of some sort but not murder. Over 10,000 people are murdered by firearms every year in the United States. The figure for simple physical assault is probably 40 or 50 times higher than that if not more. Physical assault should never be taken lightly. Even if unintentional it has resulted in death.

I think it's fucking dumb for people to do this provocative contest, as they know what the response will be.

That doesn't make the response right, far from it. But it's not a very smart thing to do after all that's already happened with cartoonists all over the world.

Then again, shooting people for drawing cartoons is fucking stupid as well.

Cartoon contest? 'Let's see who can insult the holy prophet of Islam the most?'

Ridiculous, stupidly provocative and insulting idea.

Sure, but it annoys me that every other religion can be mocked without fear of repercussion but Islam can't be touched. It shouldn't be free from mockery.

There is no moral equivalence between the two acts, to be clear.

The first act (cartoon contest) is stupid and provocative, (arguably) unnecessary but completely legal.

The second act is criminal and reprehensible.

The event sounds like it was going to be a real shit show, what without Geert Wilders being sealed in a glass container and subsequently launched into the sea.

Sure, but it annoys me that every other religion can be mocked without fear of repercussion but Islam can't be touched. It shouldn't be free from mockery.

I would imagine mocking Islam in the context of Australian/American society is a different case to say, mocking Christianity in the same context.

We should have the right to mock anything we want. Poor taste or not.

Blaming the cartoonist (regardless of their shitty) taste is like blaming the women for wearing provocative clothing in response to her being raped.

Show some fucking control. Instead of shooting at these people, bring light to their real motives.

Tho they did prove what bunch of shit the religion of peace mantra is.

There is no real answer to Islam other than to let them fight it out with themselves. Let's stay out of it, we cannot win no matter how much help we try to provide.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Blaming the cartoonist (regardless of their shitty) taste is like blaming the women for wearing provocative clothing in response to her being raped.

Show some fucking control. Instead of shooting at these people, bring light to their real motives.

There is no real answer to Islam other than to let them fight it out with themselves. Let's stay out of it, we cannot win no matter how much help we try to provide.

Yes, but it's like poking the sleeping lion, if the first five people who have tried have lost their face than don't poke the lion just to prove the point that he'll remove your face.

I don't think the behavior of two guys from Arizona define Islam.

I'm very liberal and agree with the first part of your post. Everyone, including assholes, should have the right to say what they want to say. But the second part of your post is awful. As another poster pointed out, two guys in Texas do not represent a whole religion. It'd be like if I said the KKK or the Lord's Resistance Army represented Christianity. And "the real answer to Islam?" Islam isn't some monolithic religion, it's very diverse with many different branches. Quit being an Islamophobe and grouping a small percentage of extremist terrorists with the overwhelming majority of peaceful Muslims.

I'm very liberal and agree with the first part of your post. Everyone, including assholes, should have the right to say what they want to say. But the second part of your post is awful. As another poster pointed out, two guys in Texas do not represent a whole religion. It'd be like if I said the KKK or the Lord's Resistance Army represented Christianity. And "the real answer to Islam?" Islam isn't some monolithic religion, it's very diverse with many different branches. Quit being an Islamophobe and grouping a small percentage of extremist terrorists with the overwhelming majority of peaceful Muslims.

Please, go look at the statistics. Liberals need to quit pulling out Islamophobe.

I will post a link at the end of this. Islam has some SHIT ideas in it's faith (as do the other religions). What you will find though is a majority, if not close to majority of support for these bad ideas.

Take the following poll question. What % of muslims favor death penalty for leaving the faith...

Turkey - 17%
Malaysia - 62%
Afghanistan - 79%
Egypt - 86%
Jordan - 82%
Lebanon - 46%
Iraq - 42%

*Edit: I did not post every single Muslim country in here. There were a few smaller countries that were in the low Teens, or Twenties for support of death penalty of Apostates. But Instead went after the larger countries in the region. Example Russia has a muslim population and they were polled at 15%*

Other than Turkey, which is considered the most secular of all middle east countries, you have majority, or close to it supporting DEATH to those who wish to leave the faith. 42% isn't a few bad apples, it's almost half the country.

You can find similar numbers on other polls for actions against those of blasphemy (cartoons). And a majority of Muslim countries favor Sharia Law. I don't know how you can be a supporter of human rights and sharia law (just like biblical law would fall out of our moral compass).

Again, I do not think every Muslim is out to cut off my head, or anyone's head. I do not see Islam as a major threat to this country. I do not feel nervous or uncomfortable around a Muslim. I think a good majority do what other believers do, which is cherry pick which verses to hold weight, and which ones to pass off as not relevant. BAD IDEAS should be struck down, without fear of being called a bigot, racist, or whatever else. I am not attacking Muslims, I am attacking the idea that it's considered OK to kill a human being for leaving the faith, for drawing a cartoon, for adultery, or any other silly reason. Death, or any sort of physical/emotional abuse is immoral and societies should stand up against it......

What is scary is these poll numbers show that a majority of Muslims, most of whom would not fall into the "extreme" side of their religion, support an extreme reaction to such a silly "crime". Does every one of the 86% truly wish death for those who leave the faith....who really knows. But my point is it's not just a small number of extremists that have extreme views.

You look at those who speak up against the human rights crimes being committed, and those who speak out against the extremists....and they're all risking their lives to do so. How would you like to be Rushdie, constantly in hiding for his life? Or any others who have had a fatwa placed against them? Where is the support for him and them in the Muslim world?

If you were to burn the Bible (as a public figure), seems silly to do so, some Christians might get upset...but that's about it. Burn the Koran and you'll have demonstrations in the streets, and you would most likely need to go into hiding for fear of death threats.

If this was just a small percentage of extremists, would you really need to take such precautions?

Christians don't go around burning non believers at the stake anymore. It's time Islam goes through the same transformation.

Muslim Beliefs About Sharia | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Please, go look at the statistics. Liberals need to quit pulling out Islamophobe.

I will post a link at the end of this. Islam has some SHIT ideas in it's faith (as do the other religions). What you will find though is a majority, if not close to majority of support for these bad ideas.

Take the following poll question. What % of muslims favor death penalty for leaving the faith...

Turkey - 17%
Malaysia - 62%
Afghanistan - 79%
Egypt - 86%
Jordan - 82%
Lebanon - 46%
Iraq - 42%

*Edit: I did not post every single Muslim country in here. There were a few smaller countries that were in the low Teens, or Twenties for support of death penalty of Apostates. But Instead went after the larger countries in the region. Example Russia has a muslim population and they were polled at 15%*

Other than Turkey, which is considered the most secular of all middle east countries, you have majority, or close to it supporting DEATH to those who wish to leave the faith. 42% isn't a few bad apples, it's almost half the country.

You can find similar numbers on other polls for actions against those of blasphemy (cartoons). And a majority of Muslim countries favor Sharia Law. I don't know how you can be a supporter of human rights and sharia law (just like biblical law would fall out of our moral compass).

Again, I do not think every Muslim is out to cut off my head, or anyone's head. I do not see Islam as a major threat to this country. I do not feel nervous or uncomfortable around a Muslim. I think a good majority do what other believers do, which is cherry pick which verses to hold weight, and which ones to pass off as not relevant. BAD IDEAS should be struck down, without fear of being called a bigot, racist, or whatever else. I am not attacking Muslims, I am attacking the idea that it's considered OK to kill a human being for leaving the faith, for drawing a cartoon, for adultery, or any other silly reason. Death, or any sort of physical/emotional abuse is immoral and societies should stand up against it......

What is scary is these poll numbers show that a majority of Muslims, most of whom would not fall into the "extreme" side of their religion, support an extreme reaction to such a silly "crime". Does every one of the 86% truly wish death for those who leave the faith....who really knows. But my point is it's not just a small number of extremists that have extreme views.

You look at those who speak up against the human rights crimes being committed, and those who speak out against the extremists....and they're all risking their lives to do so. How would you like to be Rushdie, constantly in hiding for his life? Or any others who have had a fatwa placed against them? Where is the support for him and them in the Muslim world?

If you were to burn the Bible (as a public figure), seems silly to do so, some Christians might get upset...but that's about it. Burn the Koran and you'll have demonstrations in the streets, and you would most likely need to go into hiding for fear of death threats.

If this was just a small percentage of extremists, would you really need to take such precautions?

Christians don't go around burning non believers at the stake anymore. It's time Islam goes through the same transformation.

Muslim Beliefs About Sharia | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Why not list the largest Muslim country in the world, Indonesia, where 18% support the death penalty for leaving Islam, similar to Turkey's 17%? Also, the country with the third largest Muslim population in the world, India, is not listed anywhere.

In addition, out of the 20 countries surveyed about seeking death for those leaving the faith, only 6 countries had majorities of 50% or more supporting that view point. So clearly the majority of Muslims worldwide do not support this.

Why paint a religion a certain way based on the views and behavior of the minority?

And how old are the Muslims being polled? Is there a generational shift away from violence or toward it? Or has it not changed at all?

Who is we, and what are you (since you say we) trying to 'win', and what help are you 'trying to provide' and why?

Just curious :shrug:

^Yep, lol.

Aaaaaaaaand, there is no verse in the Quran (that I know of, as of yet) that specifies this punishment (being killed for leaving the religion). Just some saying it's attributed to Muhammad, and not all sects believe that these sayings are even accurate.

I don't think any of these acts of violence are fuelled by Islam anymore. There's millions of islamic people who don't want to murder their christian neighbour. It's being used as an excuse to do horrible things onto other human beings by people too messed up in the head to listen to any kind of reason. Just like the crusades, where christians used their beliefs as an excuse to mass murder anyone of a different belief, or dare I mention the war here. It's all a different scale, I realise that.. but the over zealous following of the ideals of a few radical people is fucking scary to me.

Back
Top Bottom