FYM This...!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've ever complained or felt upset about starting this thread.

No, but you've certainly complained that everyone isn't responding how you would like them to. And asked twice for the thread to be closed. I was about to oblige your most recent request, but you seem to have changed your mind.

I don't think I've ever complained or felt upset about starting this thread.

Brilliant work, Sideshow Steve, Brilliant!

You've requested it be locked. Twice.

You are dead wrong on this issue. Not only are you wrong, but your ideas are as dangerous as the anti vaccination kooks.

Granted, some people are over medicated, but that does not negate the good it does for millions of people. You think by just citing a few studies that it makes you an expert. There are side effects- but that is up for the doctor, patient, and parents to decide whether the negatives out weigh the positives- not an "internet doctor" such as yourself.

What you're doing is spouting inane nonsense rather then having a rational discussion and you come off as extremely arrogant. Based on your reactions to people in this thread, you sound like you need to take some lexipro and chill the hell out.

I've met quite a few people in college who claimed they've been sexually abused as a child and didn't put the two and two together until years later. Then their parents didn't believe them by then, and the wild teen life--ravin' drugs promiscuity... became clear to them.

Some parents don't have the patience to put up with their kids drama. I've met some of these kids in group therapy in high school. Normal kids who were sent to group therapy because the parents somehow thought they were up to no good and the parents didn't know how to deal with their kids. Their kids ended up on Prozac for no reason.

Again, no one is denying that there are instances of bad parenting that may lead to unnecessary medication. Again, you're ignoring the involved, nurturing parents who find that therapy and/or meds are necessary. Are you saying that any parent who sends their child to a psychiatrist is automatically a bad parent who just isn't involved enough with their kid?

Test Time!
or
Subjective Test Time

FINALS QUIZ: How Well Do You Trust Authority? -OR- Does This Turn Your World Upside Down?

1.) On the record, neuroscientist Steve Hyman, former NIMH Director under Clinton and later former Harvard Provost, confirms that it is medication that causes chemical imbalance.*

Given Dr. Hyman's authority, do you [a] believe his statement or don't believe his statement?

2.) APA creators admit there is no scientific basis for the DSM-III, nor is there any biological basis known for their diagnosis of mental disorders.

Given the admission, do you [a] believe their statement or don't believe their statement?

3.) At the advent of DSM-III, APA President Theodore Blau, on the record, stated that the DSM-III is more a "political position paper for the APA than a scientifically-based classification system."

Given his admission, do you [a] believe his statement or don't believe his statement?

If you have chosen "a" for all three questions, congrats- you trust authority.

If you have chose "b" for all three questions, congrats- is your world upside down?

If you have mixed answers, congrats- you're a rebel thinker!

*I have mentioned this a couple times, if you weren't paying attention in the thread.

Common - The Questions - YouTube

Robert Whitaker (Epilogue) said:
This book tells a history of science that leads readers to a socially awkward place. Our society believes that psychiatric medications have led to a "revolutionary" advance in the treatment of mental disorders, and yet the pages tell of a drug-induced epidemic of disabling mental illness. Society sees a beautiful woman, and this book directs the reader's gaze to the old woman. It's never easy to hold a belief that is out of sync with what the rest of society believes, and in this instance, it's particularly difficult because the story of progress is told by figures of scientific authority--the APA, the NIMH, and psychiatrists at prestigious universities such as Harvard Medical School. Disagree with the common wisdom on this topic, and it seems that you must be a card-carrying member of the flat-Earth society.

I just want to say that I used to work with a very good child psychiatrist who more often than not recommended parenting classes or mental health counseling instead of medication.

He was on salary, so he got paid the same whether he prescribed medication or not, and whether he saw a patient once a week or once a year.

Cruise like, schmooze like.

I can say adding the fighting words up... more people got thinking that I'm in protest against them than vice versa, like I'm all upset people aren't believing me.

I'm not upset. I'm just annoyed people parroting like a parody of an SNL parody.

I'm not "parroting" anything, I can think for myself thanks. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit. You see it all as "fighting words", I just see it as people have different viewpoints and experiences. Someone like Cruise, well he's dogmatic and he sure is parroting. He dares to put someone down for taking meds for post partum depression when he doesn't know one damn thing about that other than what his religion says- because he can't get pregnant.

Look, I've seen and experienced people in my life and how the medical profession just put them on meds and they became addicted and had all kinds of problems and it didn't help them one bit. But I've also seen and heard about people being helped tremendously. So I think I have a balanced view based upon that, and based upon my limited knowledge.

But the way I see it you're coming across as if you have a one sided view, whether that's your intention or not.

I think this thread should be closed, with or without solemole's request. It's going no where.

Test Time!
or
Subjective Test Time

FINALS QUIZ: How Well Do You Trust Authority? -OR- Does This Turn Your World Upside Down?

1.) On the record, neuroscientist Steve Hyman, former NIMH Director under Clinton and later former Harvard Provost, confirms that it is medication that causes chemical imbalance.*

Given Dr. Hyman's authority, do you [a] believe his statement or don't believe his statement?

2.) APA creators admit there is no scientific basis for the DSM-III, nor is there any biological basis known for their diagnosis of mental disorders.

Given the admission, do you [a] believe their statement or don't believe their statement?

3.) At the advent of DSM-III, APA President Theodore Blau, on the record, stated that the DSM-III is more a "political position paper for the APA than a scientifically-based classification system."

Given his admission, do you [a] believe his statement or don't believe his statement?

If you have chosen "a" for all three questions, congrats- you trust authority.

If you have chose "b" for all three questions, congrats- is your world upside down?

If you have mixed answers, congrats- you're a rebel thinker!

*I have mentioned this a couple times, if you weren't paying attention in the thread.

Common - The Questions - YouTube

And I'm sure I could pull up numerous scientific studies that show the opposite of what Dr. Hyman found. Trust me, medication didn't cause my friend to have a psychotic break. It did however allow him to return to college and graduate magna cum laude.

There are obvious differences in the brain function between those with schizophrenia and those without. Knowing how the brain works, that's a chemical imbalance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom