Full ban on cell phones while driving a car?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the iron horse said:
As a Libertarian, I usually dislike governement intervention,

but I would agree on this ban.

This is one law I would to see enforced.

Why are these people talking or texting while driving?

Why can't the conversations wait?

This is why libertarians are constantly failing.

Yeah, but that's like saying we shouldn't require seatbelts because people are still going to die in accidents anyway.

I fully support seatbelts being in cars (still mystified as to why they're not in school buses, unless that's started changing). I use one all the time. However, we forget that there are stories out there where people died in a car wreck because they were wearing a seatbelt that jammed and they couldn't get free. Seatbelts are more likely to protect you, yes, but they pose their own problems on occasion, too.

I think it's sad this discussion has to take place at all. You would think we shouldn't have to tell people that texting, or talking on the phone, or drinking, or whatever, while driving is a bad, dangerous thing to do. It should be a "no duh".

Unfortunately, people don't get it. However, a ban won't solve the problem. People might be more inclined to get the message if we make the punishment for doing such things so tough they don't want to encounter it. Jail time if the accident you cause leads to severe injury or death (and I think it wouldn't hurt to revoke driving privileges for a long time, if not permanently. If you've been in trouble more than once for bad driving, you shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel at all). If it doesn't lead to that, but you're still responsible for the accident, you are forced to pay all the hefty accident bills for yourself and those you hurt, if there's a fine, put that in, too. We need to enforce the laws we do have much more strongly, or tweak them if we think they aren't tough enough, so people get the picture that if they do something this stupid, there will be serious consequences for them and the people they put in danger.

I fully support seatbelts being in cars (still mystified as to why they're not in school buses, unless that's started changing). I use one all the time. However, we forget that there are stories out there where people died in a car wreck because they were wearing a seatbelt that jammed and they couldn't get free. Seatbelts are more likely to protect you, yes, but they pose their own problems on occasion, too.

Good point.

I think it's sad this discussion has to take place at all. You would think we shouldn't have to tell people that texting, or talking on the phone, or drinking, or whatever, while driving is a bad, dangerous thing to do. It should be a "no duh".

Unfortunately, people don't get it. However, a ban won't solve the problem. People might be more inclined to get the message if we make the punishment for doing such things so tough they don't want to encounter it. Jail time if the accident you cause leads to severe injury or death (and I think it wouldn't hurt to revoke driving privileges for a long time, if not permanently. If you've been in trouble more than once for bad driving, you shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel at all). If it doesn't lead to that, but you're still responsible for the accident, you are forced to pay all the hefty accident bills for yourself and those you hurt, if there's a fine, put that in, too. We need to enforce the laws we do have much more strongly, or tweak them if we think they aren't tough enough, so people get the picture that if they do something this stupid, there will be serious consequences for them and the people they put in danger.

I'm not convinced of this argument at all, I'm afraid. There is evidence that wearing seatbelts causes people to drive faster, for example. In other words, it's potentially dangerous to put too many restrictions on driving behaviour, as it potentially causes drivers to think of themselves as almost invincible - which is presumably the opposite of the intended effect.

I wear a seatbelt because I'm a really good driver and everyone else sucks. Can't be getting killed because someone else is a shitty driver.

I thought phrasing it "I'm a really good driver and everyone else sucks" would make it obvious that I was being facetious, but then again, this is the forum where I keep getting informed by INDY that I hate America, so I guess I should have expected nothing less.

This is why libertarians are constantly failing.

No, this is why Libertarians are always confused as to why some people
just can't do the right thing. (on their own...without a government mandate)

Like, yeah, driving and talking/texting while driving is not safe.

I could be killed or kill other people.

:doh:

I thought phrasing it "I'm a really good driver and everyone else sucks" would make it obvious that I was being facetious, but then again, this is the forum where I keep getting informed by INDY that I hate America, so I guess I should have expected nothing less.

Actually I think it's a fair statement. I've heard people tell me *they* don't have to wear a belt because *they* are only going a few blocks and are super careful. OK but what happens when they're minding your own business, driving 5 under, obeying traffic laws and some yahoo blows a red light going 20 over and T-bones their vehicle?

the iron horse said:
No, this is why Libertarians are always confused as to why some people
just can't do the right thing. (on their own...without a government mandate)
I'm confused as to why I've never found one single consistent libertarian?

This is a contradiction to what you claim is your political belief, I think it's very hypocritical.

It's been shown that seatbelts could cause more harm than good on school buses

Oh, really? Interesting. I assume it has to do a bit with what I mentioned earlier, about people being trapped if the bus crashes? Or are there other, bigger reasons?

I just found it strange school buses don't have seatbelts given how strict the laws are about them in general and how much demand has come down for them over the years by people.

I'm not convinced of this argument at all, I'm afraid. There is evidence that wearing seatbelts causes people to drive faster, for example. In other words, it's potentially dangerous to put too many restrictions on driving behaviour, as it potentially causes drivers to think of themselves as almost invincible - which is presumably the opposite of the intended effect.

I fully understand that argument, and think it definitely has merit.

But something should be done, because if you want to risk your own life by not wearing a seatbelt in your car, for instance, that's your deal. But when you drive, your actions do affect other people around you. And I'm not really in the mood to get in a car accident because someone's text couldn't possibly wait until after they stopped driving, or someone couldn't wait until they got home to have a few drinks, or whatever. Like I said, I agree a flat out ban isn't going to solve a problem, banning stuff never does. But I'd like to know that there would be some sort of consequence for people's stupid actions.

I don't expect to solve the problem completely, you'll have idiots no matter what we do. But if it can change someone's mind and make them realize they aren't invincible and they could find themselves in a tragic situation, it'd be a start.

Like, yeah, driving and talking/texting while driving is not safe.

I could be killed or kill other people.
so wait...seatbelts are bad and we shouldn't have them in our cars, but people shouldn't be allowed to talk on cell phones while driving? what about personal freedoms? i pay attention to the road while talking on my phone, honest.

in case anyone can't tell, i'm joking in that last sentence. i never talk while driving. it's unsafe.

i don't quite understand why a hands free device is banned yet devices pre-installed by the manufacturer are a.o.k.

what's the difference?

i used to text and drive all the time before i switched to a touch screen phone. that's just damned impossible.

so perhaps the 12 people on the earth who still have a blackberry can be allowed to still text and drive.

I'm not sure about that. I think hands free sets should not be banned, but fiddling with the phone itself/texting while driving is just plain dangerous. I have a hands free system and sometimes when I'm stuck in traffic (bumper to bumper) I like to call my fiance and talk to her. Since nobody really goes over 10mph in these traffic jams it's not as if I'm endangering anybody else. It's a tough call though because so many people are stupid about it. I think a lot of people would do it anyway even if it was banned.

I think at the very least, if you were texting and it got you into an accident the accident should count as at fault.

when people complain about texting while driving, does that include going on the internet and playing games (checking Facebook, Twitter, Angry Birds, etc) as well?

Sweet. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. My favorite thing to do while driving is playing Need For Speed.

The new recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.
It would not apply to hand-free devices or to passengers.

This is so stupid. Why make an exception for emergency texting? I can understand emergency calls, but texting??

Maybe they should allow emergency drunk driving too.

any 'emergency' exception is just plain stupid

people call 911, (the emergency number) when they are locked out of their cars, when there is a power outage, and for other stupid reasons

Saw this on the news last night, couldn't believe it. People actually download apps while they're driving? Gee, I didn't even notice that HUMAN BEING there.

Police say hit-and-run driver was using phone
By TIM BUCKLAND
New Hampshire Union Leader
Published May 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm (Updated May 22, 2012)

PLAISTOW — A local man told police that he didn't realize he'd hit a man with his van because he was distracted while downloading an app to his smart phone.

John Sheehan, 30, was arrested Tuesday on a felony hit-and-run charge that he hit a man while driving east on Forrest Street on Sunday night, then drove away, police Lt. William Baldwin said.

When officers tracked down the van, which had damage to its front end, and Sheehan, “He said, 'What did I hit?'” Baldwin said. “He later said that he thought he'd hit a tree and freaked out and went home.”

Baldwin said Sheehan told officers he didn't notice that he'd hit someone — Baldwin said the “thump” was heard by residents on Forrest Street — because he was distracted by his phone. Baldwin said he didn't know which app Sheehan was allegedly downloading at the time of the accident.

Baldwin said the injured man, whose name was not released, was “alert and conscious” when emergency responders arrived at the scene of the accident. The man was taken to Lawrence General Hospital in Lawrence, Mass., then flown to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, where he was in critical, but stable, condition Tuesday night, Baldwin said.

Sheehan was being held Tuesday in Rockingham County jail, Baldwin said.

PLAISTOW — A local man told police that he didn't realize he'd hit a man with his van because he was distracted while downloading an app to his smart phone.

John Sheehan, 30, was arrested Tuesday on a felony hit-and-run charge that he hit a man while driving east on Forrest Street on Sunday night, then drove away, police Lt. William Baldwin said.

:scratch: He should know better, he's not some dumb teen that just got their license.

Back
Top Bottom