Fog of War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AEON

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
If you haven't seen it - I STRONGLY recommend it. IT's up on youtube now. I was researching what we should do with the ISIS situation...

McNamara gives a very straightforward account of the horrors, necessities, and mistakes of WWII, The Cold War, and of course - Vietnam.

Conservatives, liberals, and centrists can ALL learn from this highly acclaimed documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXF6UdkeI4

If you haven't seen it - I STRONGLY recommend it. IT's up on youtube now. I was researching what we should do with the ISIS situation...

McNamara gives a very straightforward account of the horrors, necessities, and mistakes of WWII, The Cold War, and of course - Vietnam.

Conservatives, liberals, and centrists can ALL learn from this highly acclaimed documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXF6UdkeI4

My PC is running really slow. I can't view it right now.

Can you give a brief summary of the main points?
Does not have to be long. Just an idea on what it says.

Thanks

I think it's well said actually.

Empathy means we try to understand why they are doing what they are doing.

Maybe that is a simple explanation - "lunatic religious belief" - in some cases.

In other cases maybe it's not so simple.

The Al Qaeda fatwas were ignored by people who believed Bush's nonsense "they hate us for our freedom". No, they were trying to kill us because of our Middle Eastern foreign policy and (directly related) our support of Israel. Pretty simple and yet because not enough Americans understood this - that ignorance had us ending up in Iraq.

So imagine had we tried to empathize rather than just seeing them as some evil entity that had no reason or rhyme. That's doesn't mean you condone in ANY way, it means you try to find the reasons - for a reason.

I think it's well said actually.

Empathy means we try to understand why they are doing what they are doing.

Maybe that is a simple explanation - "lunatic religious belief" - in some cases.

In other cases maybe it's not so simple.

The Al Qaeda fatwas were ignored by people who believed Bush's nonsense "they hate us for our freedom". No, they were trying to kill us because of our Middle Eastern foreign policy and (directly related) our support of Israel. Pretty simple and yet because not enough Americans understood this - that ignorance had us ending up in Iraq.

So imagine had we tried to empathize rather than just seeing them as some evil entity that had no reason or rhyme. That's doesn't mean you condone in ANY way, it means you try to find the reasons - for a reason.

I understand what he's trying to say - I'm just stating I find it difficult to empathize with groups like ISIS that behead journalists, slaughter young boys, and rape/enslave young girls...

Like Alfred says in Batman, "some men just want to see the world burn." ISIS may fit into that category.

Back
Top Bottom