Fight for SCOTUS: Souter Retiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
The Associated Press: Source: Justice Souter retiring

Giddyup!

Two words for the GOP: Upperdown vote!

I am 99.99% sure that the eventual nominee will be a female. And it should be a female. There is absolutely no shortage of qualified women for the position and to have only 1/9 women on the court is pretty disgraceful.

Souter did a good job I thought.

This should be uneventful.

It will be interesting if some in the GOP go nuts on this.

A bit disappointing that Souter wants out.
Obama may get to replace Stevens and Ginsburg, too.

It would be nice if Scalia, or Thomas opted out early too.
One can only hope.

Deval Patrick is being mentioned. He's been a disaster as a governor. I guess some people still think President Obama "owes" him or something (other than for stealing some of his lines :wink:)

You know. I was just thinking. More women will be appointed, sure. But I'm convinced it'll stop at half women. We wouldn't want the Supreme Court to be all girl. That wouldn't be fair to the guys, would it? They're half the country, aren't they? :angry:

Can you imagine an all woman Supreme Court? :faint:

You know. I was just thinking. More women will be appointed, sure. But I'm convinced it'll stop at half women. We wouldn't want the Supreme Court to be all girl. That wouldn't be fair to the guys, would it? They're half the country, aren't they? :angry:

We have 4/9 in Canada, but the Chief Justice is a woman. :)

asset_upload_file915_12260.jpg

I say we give him another chance.:up:

I thought this was interesting

539w.jpg

Home is where his heart is
Souter eschews power for a small N.H. town

By Peter Schworm, Globe Staff | May 2, 2009

WEARE, N.H. - General John Stark Highway takes you past Sully's Superette, Mister G's Tires, and the Mobile Home Cooperative to the center of a town that, in the words of a roadside sign, is "a part of yesterday in touch with tomorrow."

A few miles more over the Piscataquog River, past stone walls, a syrup stand, and chicken wire fences, stands a rickety farmhouse. A crooked mailbox and horse-and-buggy nameplate on a time-worn barn bear the name Souter.

Here is where Supreme Court Justice David Souter was raised and returns each summer to sequester himself in the farm house that his grandparents built in this rural town of silos and grassy pastures, and where he is beloved as "one of our own." This is what he has given up one of the most powerful jobs in the land to return to.

"This is his favorite place in the whole world," said Maureen Billodeau, the town's collections clerk, who says she sees the justice when he comes to Town Hall to register his car or just say hello. "It will be so good to have him back."

Souter, who was born in Melrose but spent much of his childhood in New Hampshire, is revered here less for being an exalted figure in American jurisprudence than he is for his persistent rejection of the trappings of power, and big city life. Souter made no secret, during his 19 years on the high court, of his disdain for Washington, where he kept a Spartan apartment in an unfashionable neighborhood and rejected the glittering social life that is lifeblood of Washington power circles. He frequently proclaimed his love for New Hampshire, and fled here often, writing once that "I need some period of the year when I can make a close approach to solitude."

Such expressions of love for their way of life have won Souter a kind of hero status, as the rare figure picked for stardom but who wasn't seduced by it.

"He wants to be here for the same reasons I do," said Chip Meany, a 66-year-old who is the town's code enforcement officer. "Peace, quiet, and friendly people."

During his summers at the farm, Souter leads an uncomplicated existence, even by New Hampshire standards. Many said they believe he reads, mostly, confining himself largely to the farm and seeming to have few needs. Some say they see him on summer evenings taking nightly runs along back roads, and that he appears from time to time in town.

Famously averse to contemporary gadgets (he is said to have been given his first television set by former New Hampshire senator Warren Rudman but that he never plugged it in), Souter is reputed to have few technological conveniences save a telephone.

"He lives a pretty primitive life," Meany said, saying he had heard that Souter's refrigerator was a model so old that the cooling unit is on top. "He's out there in the puckerbrush, in that house that's old as the hills. You look at the house and it's like going back 100 years. But it's home."

Outside Meany's office hangs a picture of Souter with George H. W. Bush, who nominated him to the high court in 1990. Beside that hangs a commendation from the town for being named to the court, and a handwritten letter from Souter thanking the town for the honor, which he said moved him deeply.

Souter's devotion to his hometown, residents said, showed that fame and success hadn't changed him. Indeed, friends close to Souter said decided to retire, at least in part, because he was ready to throw off the shackles of Washington, D.C., for a simpler, quieter life.

"It's a hillbilly town," said Victor Castonguay, 52, before explaining he meant that as a term of endearment. "It's slow, relaxed. Everyone knows each other. It's a good life."

Souter's 8-acre lot, by far the most modest home in a neighborhood of modest homes, is appraised at $226,000, according to town records.

In the windows hung ragged curtains and curled, crumbled blinds. Plastic held down by rocks guarded the base of the house, where paint had all but peeled off the frame.

Yet the wooded road was deeply peaceful, with the chirping of birds and the wind whistling through the trees the only sound for minutes at a time.

Around the corner, Alice Grenier said she woke up to the news that Souter, her old friend, was coming back to Cilley Hill Road. Souter had told her as much last summer, she said, but he had told her to keep it quiet since he might change his mind.

"I have an idea he'll fit right back in," she said.

At a general store in the center of town, where customers can buy antiques, sandwiches, and fishing bait, locals looked over a newspaper with the news on the front page.

"If I had a job like that, I'd want to be done, too," said Audrey Janssen, one of the owners.

Poppy picked a good justice, unlike his son, the total disaster.

I don't believe Souter ever fully recovered following Bush v. Gore. If you have any doubts about that, read his dissent.

I have read that too.
I am glad he stuck it out through the Bush years.

My guess is that Obama will go with a more of a moderate, than a liberal.

But to conservatives, anyone that does not call abortion murder, is a soulless liberal.

At times, your posts read like a satire on the liberal left.

Poppy picked a good justice, unlike his son, the total disaster.

the Poppy of 1989 would have become a Democrat by 2009.

it's shocking what Junior did to the party. (and the world).

Poppy's kind of Republican has been almost totally purged of a party that values ideology over competency and loyalty over reason.

Obama should go with a less controversial choice.

Like when Bush chose Roberts, sure he was not a favorite of the Democrats but there were not a lot of knives drawn.

Alito was a more divisive choice.

I expect Ginsburg and Stevens to be the next to be replaced, good chance by Obama.
If Obama gets a second term, Scalia's obesity could take him off the bench.

Alito isn't just divisive, I think he's a terrible justice.

But I agree with you, I think Obama will and should go with somebody uncontroversial.

Although I really like Pamela Karlan, she is a tremendous legal mind. Probably a little too socially progressive, but it would be a wonderful and bold choice.

politico.com

by Josh Gerstein

President Barack Obama is looking to advance diversity with his pick to replace retiring Supreme Court Justice David Souter — and early speculation has focused on whether he'll pick a woman, or perhaps the first Hispanic justice.

But gay rights groups — disappointed that Obama didn't pick an openly gay man or woman for his Cabinet — are pushing him to put the first openly gay justice on the Supreme Court.

Within hours of word of Souter's departure, the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund was hailing the candidacy of a First Amendment scholar and former dean of Stanford Law School, Kathleen Sullivan. "Out lesbian a contender for Supreme Court," one of the group's web sites declared.

Another Stanford law professor on the "frequently mentioned" lists, Pam Karlan, has been open about being a lesbian, colleagues and former students say. In response to an e-mail from POLITICO, Karlan expressed no reticence about discussing her sexual orientation, though she downplayed talk about being a possible nominee.

"It's no secret at all that I'm counted among the LGBT crowd," she wrote, using a common acronym for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered community. As for the possibility she'd be nominated, Karlan said, "Given the landscape, I'm flattered, but not fooled, by having my name tossed around."

Gay and lesbian activists said they were excited that the two women are being publicly considered - and guardedly optimistic that one of them might be picked.

"I think the community was hopeful we would see the first openly gay or lesbian Cabinet secretary and that didn't happen, which was a little disappointing," Denis Dison of the Victory Fund said. "The same thing is happening now with the Supreme Court vacancy...It's not so much we want to check that box at the Supreme Court level, but that achievement would be breaking the glass ceiling in a huge way."

In March, Obama named an open lesbian, Emily Hewitt, to be the chief judge of the federal Court of Claims, but judges on that special court do not have lifetime tenure. He also nominated another lesbian, Maria Demeo, to serve as a D.C. Superior Court judge.

However, in response to questions from POLITICO in recent days, White House aides declined to say whether sexual orientation was among the diversity factors the president planned to consider either with respect to a Supreme Court nominee, or judicial nominees more generally.

During his brief statement to reporters on Friday, Obama said nothing at all about diversity being a factor in his decision.

When press secretary Robert Gibbs addressed the issue, he put the focus not on a nominee's demographic profile but his or her life experience. Gibbs spoke of "ensuring diversity in their background and experience" and said Obama "is looking for somebody more with a diversity of background of experience than anything else."

When pressed about whether race and gender were part of the diversity calculus, Gibbs said tentatively, "I think a diversity of experience would include some of that."

Some conservative activists say they doubt Obama will nominate a gay or lesbian Supreme Court justice because the nominee's sexuality could become a political distraction.

"I think that would be a bridge too far for him to be honest because that would enter a whole new element into the debate that I don't think he's ready for," Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council said. "A parallel to that would be Bill Clinton's gays in the military battle, which really hurt his agenda from that point forward."

Perkins said his group would not investigate anyone's sexual preferences and planned to focus on a nominee's judicial views. "The issue is the ideology," he said.

But attorney and veteran gay rights advocate Dixon Osburn said: "We can all look at the Supreme Court and see it needs more gender diversity. It needs more racial diversity, it needs more sexual orientation diversity. It's hard to get everything in one pick, but all those things need to be considered part of the conversation."

Osburn said he expects that if Obama concludes that a gay or lesbian candidate is best for the Supreme Court job he will nominate the person and deal with any fallout. "I don't think he would shy away from that, but first and foremost he's going to pick someone he thinks has constitutional gravitas," Osburn said.

The underrepresentation of open gays and lesbians on the federal bench is evident. Advocacy groups say they know of none among appeals court judges and only one in the district courts, Deborah Batts, who was nominated by President Bill Clinton in 1994.

"While people of color and women continue to be underrepresented at all levels of the federal judiciary, 'out' LGBT judges are nearly invisible among their ranks," Kevin Cathcart of Lambda Legal wrote in a January letter urging Obama to appoint more gay and lesbian judges.

Historians say the Supreme Court has never had an openly gay or lesbian justice, or even a nominee.

Sullivan, too, has been open with students and colleagues about her sexuality. In 2006, at a legal seminar about the evolution of gay rights, Sullivan joked that lawyers should have argued homosexuality is actually a religion. “After all, gay men and lesbians have our rituals, our creeds, our incantations, and special ways of dressing,” she said. The former Stanford dean did not respond to an e-mail seeking comment for this article.

Both Stanford professors have been active for gay legal causes.

Sullivan co-wrote the brief for gay rights advocates in the 1986 Supreme Court case, Bowers v. Hardwick, challenging Georgia's anti-sodomy law. In a 5-4 ruling, the court found the law constitutional.

Karlan wrote a law professors' amicus brief in the 2003 case, Lawrence v. Texas, which overturned Bowers and ruled that laws against consensual sodomy were unconstitutional.

In 2007, Sullivan wrote an amicus brief on behalf of Karlan and other law professors, urging the California Supreme Court to legalize gay marriage, which the court did. Voters later reversed the decision.

Within hours of word of Souter's departure, the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund was hailing the candidacy of a First Amendment scholar and former dean of Stanford Law School, Kathleen Sullivan. "Out lesbian a contender for Supreme Court," one of the group's web sites declared.

Another Stanford law professor on the "frequently mentioned" lists, Pam Karlan, has been open about being a lesbian, colleagues and former students say. In response to an e-mail from POLITICO, Karlan expressed no reticence about discussing her sexual orientation, though she downplayed talk about being a possible nominee.

"It's no secret at all that I'm counted among the LGBT crowd," she wrote, using a common acronym for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered community. As for the possibility she'd be nominated, Karlan said, "Given the landscape, I'm flattered, but not fooled, by having my name tossed around."

Gay and lesbian activists said they were excited that the two women are being publicly considered - and guardedly optimistic that one of them might be picked.

omg.

ok, so all caveats about "best person for the job aside," i would LOVE to see the battle over this and to watch the GOP try to say that she's unqualified for unspecified things like "being out of the mainstream" and then realizing that they have no other point of dispute other than the fact that the nominee is a lesbian.

the honesty would be dreamy. :drool:

omg.

ok, so all caveats about "best person for the job aside," i would LOVE to see the battle over this and to watch the GOP try to say that she's unqualified for unspecified things like "being out of the mainstream" and then realizing that they have no other point of dispute other than the fact that the nominee is a lesbian.

the honesty would be dreamy. :drool:

Heads would explode. It would get messy. :)

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs - Obama will announce his pick to replace retiring Supreme Court justice David Souter at 6:30 a.m. Saturday on Twitter.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs began his daily briefing Friday announcing that President Obama will announce his pick to replace retiring Supreme Court justice David Souter at 6:30 a.m. Saturday on Twitter.

In previous press briefings Gibbs has confiscated interrupting cell phones and prompted phone call recipients to flee the room.

Any tidbit of information about how Obama is deciding who should replace Souter qualifies as news. With the White House unwilling to say who is on the short list, or even the long one, reporters are reduced to asking questions about the process.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...s-white-house-press-corps-supreme-court-pick/

I don't think Obama needs a big fight, so I think he'll pass on the lesbian candidates.
Looks like Sullivan is extremely qualified though, if it weren't a factor, she'd probably be one of the prime candidates. You know how the sludge machine would spin it though, that he was picking only because of this...can't be any worse than Harriet fucking Miers.

I think it's going to be Diane Wood though, just a hunch.

I don't use twitter, deep. I am a caveman, I guess.

Granholm is pretty nice looking, I guess that alone makes her more qualified than Harriet Miers was.

Back
Top Bottom