Feel good stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:heart::heart::heart:

For one Iowa couple, true love lasted until the very end.
Married 72 years, Norma, 90, and Gordon Yeager, 94, passed away in the hospital holding hands last week, one hour apart.
The couple was hospitalized after a car accident just outside of Marshalltown, Iowa. They were given a shared room in the ICU where they held hands in adjacent beds.
At 3:38 pm last Wednesday, Gordon's breathing stopped. Though he had passed, his heart monitor continued to register a beat.
The nurse told Gordon and Norma's son, Dennis Yeager, that the monitor was beeping "because they're holding hands, and [Norma's heart beat] is going through them," Dennis recalled in an interview with Des Moines' KCCI news station. "Her heart was beating through him."
Norma passed at 4:38 pm, exactly one hour later.
Gordon and Norma's children say they're glad the couple passed this way. "They just loved being together," says Dennis. "He always said, 'I can't go until she does because I gotta stay here for her.' And she would say the same thing."

Long-Married Couple Gordon Yeager And Norma Yeager Pass Away Holding Hands

MOUNT HOLLY, New Jersey (AP) — Jacob Anthony Saydeh won't have any trouble remembering precisely when he was born.

A U.S. hospital says Jacob entered the world at 11:11 a.m. on Friday — 11-11-11.

And to make the Veterans Day birth even more remarkable, the boy's mother is an Air Force veteran and his father is serving in the Air Force.

It's the second child for Staff Sgt. Christopher Saydeh and his wife, Danielle. They are a third-generation military family.

Team members from Penn State and Nebraska united in prayer just before kickoff of their game in State College, a week after a sex-abuse scandal broke in the Happy Valley.

penn_state_huddle_20111112120901_640_480.JPG

She's adorable. So is he, I fell in love with him in that movie..well probably mostly his character. This whole ask celebs out on dates on YouTube is already getting old, but I hope he will do it for her.

Lindsay Miller, a 26-year-old woman diagnosed with pancreatic neuroendocrine cancer, recently became a viral web sensation when she asked the actor, 30, out to coffee via YouTube.

Miller was moved by Gordon-Levitt's portrayal of a cancer victim in his recent film 50/50 (costarring Seth Rogen).

She wrote on her blog, "I was impressed with [the movie], though it was difficult emotionally for me to watch."

She continued, "After seeing Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance and seeing/reading some of his subsequent interviews about the film I thought, 'This guy gets it. And he's cute. I wonder if I could ever run into him somewhere.' But even though I live in LA, it seems impossible to find him."

Her solution? YouTube! "It's ridiculous," Miller wrote of her adorable invitation to the star. "And it feels like I'm making a big leap from being an anonymous cancer 'liver' a few months ago to now starring in my own video. But, life is short. So, why not?"

But Miller's would-be date still hasn't seen her proposal. "Two other people were telling me about this, but no I have not heard about it until then," Gordon-Levitt told E! News.

"I haven't seen the video," he said. "I'll have to watch it."

Girl with cancer asks "50/50" star on date - YouTube

Check this out:

DODGER by name, dodger by nature.
This cute ginger cat is a thrifty creature — catching free bus trips from his home town.

The moggy, who was named after the Artful Dodger from Oliver Twist, has taken to hopping on and off the public transport at the local bus station.

The 15-year-old Tom even sits on bemused passengers' laps as the bus takes up to ten mile round trips from Bridport to Charmouth in Dorset.

Dodger is such a regular customer that some of the drivers take tins of cat food to work with them to give to him.

They even know what stop to let him off at.

At the end of his journeys the eldery cat returns to his home and owner Fee Jeanes.

Mrs Jeanes, 44, believes Dodger first took a liking to the buses as they are warm like greenhouses when the sun is on them.

Cat stop ... Dodger patiently waits for the bus
BNPS
But the curious pet has since ended up being taken for several rides.
She said: "We moved here 19 months ago and our house backs on to the bus station.

"He is an old boy and is very friendly. At first Dodger kept going to the bus station because people there fed him tit-bits and scraps of food.

"But then he started climbing on board the buses because they are almost like greenhouses when it is sunny.

Home sweet home ... Dodger with his owner Fee Jeanes
BNPS
"Then last week I found out he had travelled to Charmouth and back, which is a ten mile round trip.
"I hadn't seen him all morning until my daughter Emily told me one of her friends had just seen him on the bus at Charmouth.

"I couldn't believe it and panicked. I got into my car to go off and look for him and then at that moment the bus pulled up near our house and lo and behold he got off.

"He had fallen asleep on board and nobody knew about it. When the driver realised he knew who Dodger was and where he lived and kept him on board.

Adventurous ... Dodger returns home after a ride
BNPS
"That afternoon I saw Dodger climb on board another bus and I rushed to tell the driver.
"I was shocked when she told me Dodger was always on there and liked to sit on the seats because they are warm from where people have been sitting.

"The drivers buy cat food for him and he sits on people's laps.

"Sometimes he just sits in the middle of the road and waits for the bus to turn up before he gets on."

Dodger is a familiar sight to regular bus passengers and drivers, but Mrs Jeanes still receives several calls a week asking if she has lost a ginger cat.

A spokesman for bus firm First said they didn't mind Dodger on their buses.

He said: "The drivers have been asked not to feed it because we recognise that cat has an owner and we do not want to discourage it from returning home for food and shelter, but in principle we do not have a problem with it being around the bus station.

"Given this cat is elderly we suspect it would be eligible for free travel, perhaps a bus puss, if such a thing existed."

Foreign Policy has a really nice slideshow up right now of the 2012 Harbin Ice Festival, which just ended. Harbin is in extreme northeastern China, so it's one of the world's colder cities, and every year since 1965 the locals build an "Ice City," an entire life-size complex of buildings made of ice with fluorescent lights inside, as a celebration to brighten up the winter and attract tourists from all over China. I loathe winter, but I thought this was so cool!

harbinfest.jpg

harbinfest2.jpg

harbinfest3.jpg

Yeah, I think even winter-haters would have to like this.

I love winter, but that far north might be a wee bit too cold for me. Still, that is incredibly neat, and I like that they do it to brighten up the days up there. The colors are gorgeous, and the second picture looks so much like a postcard. Very pretty.

I can't believe they built life-size sculptures, too. That's impressive, and time-consuming-I assume/hope they wear heavy gloves, because I can imagine how cold their hands would get after a while of doing that :p.

What a good kid

A 12-year-old stopped his grandmother from becoming homeless by appealing to strangers to donate money to help save her home from foreclosure.

Noah Lamaide, 12, managed to stop the house going into foreclosure by appealing to people through the charity website he set up two years previously to help those in need after Hurricane Katrina.

A few weeks later enough money had come in from across the U.S. to save the home of Janice Sparhawk in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.

Mrs Sparhawk, 72, who has fostered more than 100 children, became in danger of losing her home after she fell ill and got behind on her bills. Now that her home has been saved, she plans to begin fostering again.

Her grandson Noah told a local television, ''I never knew that there were so many good people in this world.''

Mrs Sparhawk also told the station: 'I called our local representative, the governor, the president, not asking for money but asking them to help me find a program and they couldn't do it. But this 12-year-old could. He saved the house.'

Noah said that he had been coming to visit his grandmother since he was young at the house, which has been in the family for generations.

Noah set up his charity called Noah's Dream Catcher Network when he was just ten years old to help those still recovering from Hurricane Katrina.

People can donate to community projects through the site and will receive a small keychain of a dream catcher in return. Dream catchers are popular in Native American cultures and said to protect children from nightmares.

The 12-year-old writes on his website: 'My dad lost his job that he worked at for 18 years and I know how scary it can be to have a parent without a job.'

Back
Top Bottom