Favorite Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like a lot of John Irving when I'm reading him, but other than Prayer for Owen Meany and Cider House Rules, none of them stuck with me. I didn't much like 1984. I did like Animal Farm.

What about "The World According to Garp"? I loved that book, I think it's my favourite whereas Irving is concerned.

I also didn't care for 1984 that much but liked Animal Farm.

And I didn't like Catcher in the Rye, which is one of those books that everyone reads and loves. Except me, seemingly.

I also really love each and every one of Paul Theroux's travel books.

And I didn't like Catcher in the Rye, which is one of those books that everyone reads and loves. Except me, seemingly.

I didn't like Catcher in the Rye either. Holden Caulfield is easily the most insufferable narrator in twentieth-century American literature.

What about "The World According to Garp"? I loved that book, I think it's my favourite whereas Irving is concerned.

I also didn't care for 1984 that much but liked Animal Farm.

I also really love each and every one of Paul Theroux's travel books.

I disliked Catcher in the Rye the first time I read it in HS. Re-read it as an adult and liked it even less.

I liked Garp a lot but it did not impact me the way Owen Meany did.

I didn't like Catcher in the Rye either. Holden Caulfield is easily the most insufferable narrator in twentieth-century American literature.

Thank you!!

And I actually do agree about Owen Meany - that one stayed with me a long time, it's just that I had a better time actually reading Garp.

Did I include Cryptonomicon on my list? If not, let's add it.

I started that book three or four times before finally getting over the hump and really into the book. I dug it.

I also feel the same way as you do in regards to Garp vs. Owen Meany. Those are the only two Irving books I've read.

I started that book three or four times before finally getting over the hump and really into the book. I dug it.

I also feel the same way as you do in regards to Garp vs. Owen Meany. Those are the only two Irving books I've read.

I rarely have this happen to me, but with Cryptonomicon, I did start and stop. Revisited it a year later, and fucking loved it, and now I've read every Stephenson title outside of Anathema, which I am currently reading.

I liked Garp. It just didn't have much of an impact on me. Actually, I read it twice. It was enjoyable enough but it never stayed with me. Objectively, Garp may have been a better book than Ciderhouse Rules. I won't make that argument, one way or the other. I just didn't like Garp as a character very much. And with Irving, you better get involved with the character.

And, God, Holden Caulfield was whiney.

I used to pick up King's new books first thing. Now I just wait for word of mouth. What have you liked recently? I read Lisey's Story which I sort of liked. I haven't been following him much anymore so don't know what he's put out.

King is one of my favorite authors :)shrug:?), but really he hasn't turned out a lot lately I've cared to read, but Cell is probably one of my favorite books by him.

I used to pick up King's new books first thing. Now I just wait for word of mouth. What have you liked recently? I read Lisey's Story which I sort of liked. I haven't been following him much anymore so don't know what he's put out.

Recently? Not a lot. I've kept up with the Dark Tower books, and that's about it.

See, that's weird. I loved Lisey's Story, thought it was one of the more compelling books he has written in years (I read it in a day), but I thought Cell was probably his worst ever. Just goes to show how subjective tastes are.

See, that's weird. I loved Lisey's Story, thought it was one of the more compelling books he has written in years (I read it in a day), but I thought Cell was probably his worst ever. Just goes to show how subjective tastes are.

I haven't picked up Lisey's Story yet, tell the truth. I wasn't so very into the plot according to the back of the book. But even though you hate Cell :)tsk: ) I'll give it a shot if you liked it that much.

I haven't picked up Lisey's Story yet, tell the truth. I wasn't so very into the plot according to the back of the book. But even though you hate Cell :)tsk: ) I'll give it a shot if you liked it that much.

Have you read Rose Madder? It's sort of similar in tone to that, but without the spousal abuse. I remember feeling kind of meh about Rose Madder when I first read it, but then I reread it a year or so ago and really liked it. I'd say that Lisey's Story is better.

I just found Cell really draggy with not much happening, and I hated the ending. That's unusual for me, because King is probably my favourite writer too, and so I'm pretty forgiving with him, liking books of his that many feel are mediocre.

Have you read Rose Madder? It's sort of similar in tone to that, but without the spousal abuse. I remember feeling kind of meh about Rose Madder when I first read it, but then I reread it a year or so ago and really liked it. I'd say that Lisey's Story is better.

I just found Cell really draggy with not much happening, and I hated the ending. That's unusual for me, because King is probably my favourite writer too, and so I'm pretty forgiving with him, liking books of his that many feel are mediocre.

I have not yet got around to Rose Madder, or Dolores Claiborne for that matter, which probably explains why I wasn't so gung-ho to read Lisey's Story either. The great read-a-thon I have planned for Christmas break likely will include all three though.

I can understand that, I was just giving you a hard time. I'll admit that I also enjoyed Dreamcatcher, even though I don't think I should have....silly book.

I have not yet got around to Rose Madder, or Dolores Claiborne for that matter, which probably explains why I wasn't so gung-ho to read Lisey's Story either. The great read-a-thon I have planned for Christmas break likely will include all three though.

I can understand that, I was just giving you a hard time. I'll admit that I also enjoyed Dreamcatcher, even though I don't think I should have....silly book.

Yeah, those three are pretty similar, and probably not to everyone's tastes, but if you're a fan, you should give them a try.

Dreamcatcher - shit weasels. :lol: I liked it too!

Yeah, those three are pretty similar, and probably not to everyone's tastes, but if you're a fan, you should give them a try.

Dreamcatcher - shit weasels. :lol: I liked it too!

Delores has been on tv a lot lately, and I've been trying to not watch it, but I love Kathy Bates, so I am going to check that one out first.

You are SO allowed to be my step mom now :love:

Delores has been on tv a lot lately, and I've been trying to not watch it, but I love Kathy Bates, so I am going to check that one out first.

You are SO allowed to be my step mom now :love:

I've seen the movie much more recently than I've read the book, but even that was probably 7 or 8 years ago. I should reread it. But for now, I'd rank them Lisey's Story, Rose Madder, and Delores Claiborne last. And there's also Gerald's Game from around the same time as DC and RM, too.

How could you not love shit weasels? That man has a warped sense of humour that I love. lol

Of other less commonly read but recent books of his, I also love Insomnia (creepy!), Hearts in Atlantis, and Bag of Bones.

Practice your drink-making skills, kiddo. :wink:

I've seen the movie much more recently than I've read the book, but even that was probably 7 or 8 years ago. I should reread it. But for now, I'd rank them Lisey's Story, Rose Madder, and Delores Claiborne last.

How could you not love shit weasels? That man has a warped sense of humour that I love. lol

Of other less commonly read books of his, I also love Insomnia (creepy!), Hearts in Atlantis, and Bag of Bones.

I have a friend that's obsessed with Delores Claiborne, so I promised her I'd read it.

So very obvious though that he was on some kind of medication while he was writing it lol.

Hearts in Atlantis the entire book, or the short story? I couldn't finish that book, it really lost me by the third story.

I'm on it.

Last edited:
I read tons of King's books back in junior high and high school, then had enough for a while. Then after a long break, I picked up Hearts In Atlantis and absolutely loved it. I also really enjoyed Bag of Bones.

I have Lisey's Story (an autographed copy, thankyouverymuch), but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Back
Top Bottom