Father Storms Bus, Confronts Disabled Daughter's Bullies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a learned behavior.

But learned from who? Certainly these parents are going around making fun a people's disabilities and hitting them. I wouldn't argue that speaking to your kids about it would no doubt help, but these kids are getting it from each other. Every school in every country in the world has it's share of bullies. That tells me more about the ugly side of human nature than it does about upbringing

Dont take this the wrong way, but I got that impression.

But that's not what I really meant. What I mean by forgetting what it's like to be a kid is in the way they view the world. How your mind worked at that time. They're selfish in the most pure sense of the word. It's not that they're consciously being jerks, they just lack the ability to put themselves in the shoes of others. So while it might not be natural to bully others (I'd probably argue that point too, but that might stray a bit from the topic at hand), it certainly is easy for them to join in and feed off each other without considering the affect it has

Only when they're very young. It's been shown that as they grow older, the influence of parents is significantly less than that of their peers. It's possible your daughter could be an exception to the rule (Much to your delight, no doubt)

Just because you have a kid doesnt make you an expert. I dont mean that in a 11 year old assholish way, either :)

I can appreciate all of this behaviour :up: Lord knows I've been involved in more than my share of mischief. But I can only assume you were much older than the 11 year olds in this story and probably had a much better sense of the consequences.
I'm not saying what they did was right. I'm just saying they're kids being the little jerks that kids can sometimes be. To immediately assume they all have bad parents is being very quick to make judgments.

I'll also add that I dont think the father of the little girl that got bullied should face any repercussions. He was just sticking up for his daughter and I'd like to think that's something that any of us would do (he might've gone a little far in threatening the bus driver, but meh, no harm no foul)

what your saying makes sense. i apologize for coming off like a douche earlier.

Because they're kids and kids are mean. I really don't think it has to do with parenting. Kids see someone who is different and they make fun of them. They dont yet understand the damage they could be doing to that person. But it's just human nature. It's not fair to blame the parents

I fully agree that kids aren't going to be able to always properly judge how to best behave in certain situations, you are right about that. You aren't born knowing how to treat people, that's something you learn.

But that's precisely why we should blame parents who don't bother to instruct them and correct them on their behavior. That is their job, to teach them right from wrong, good behavior vs. bad behavior. And if the parents don't set good examples, kids are going to learn that that sort of cruel behavior is okay. Not always, no-some kids do learn that just because their parents may act like jerks, doesn't mean they have to turn out that way, too. But usually those kids are lucky to come across an adult somewhere that does teach them proper life lessons. Ultimately, though, the parents are generally the first adults a child will encounter in their life, and the lessons need to be instilled early on by them.

I'm not familiar with the details of whatever's being discussed in Congress regarding this issue right now, but if it's focusing on preventing bullying ahead of time, I should think you shouldn't need the government stepping in to tell parents to do their job-it's not that hard to tell kids, "Hey, being mean to people is wrong". If it's focusing on the punishment end of this issue, however, then I can understand their interest a little more, especially when dealing with bullies that are more violent in nature.

Though, really, the idea of Congress trying to stop bullying from happening is kind of a laugh in and of itself. We've all seen how they've been acting lately, haven't we?

Angela

i know its wrong but well done to this guy.
my 12 yo has autism and is physically and verbally bullied and at school 2 or 3 times a week at least, and i can tell you it takes all my strength not to go up to the school and strangle the little bastards that do it . schools make too many excuses for those little shits , continually turn a blind eye and the parents are worse.
i am trying to be proactive and teach him self protective strategies and how to get out of these situations but when you have 4 or 5 or more kids attacking at once, there isnt much you can do.

Yes look out for your daughter's health since she already had a skull fracture from a previous fight. Maybe she should just sign her up for UFC.

Attention Moms: Don't Get Caught Cheering On Your Kid In A YouTube Video Fight | The Smoking Gun

A Florida mother who stood on the sidelines cheering on her daughter during a planned high school fight between the teen and another girl was arrested today for child abuse.

According to a Manatee County Sheriff’s Office affidavit, April Newcomb, 39, can be seen on multiple YouTube videos “encouraging” her daughter “to physically fight” with the other girl. The videos, one of which can be viewed below, were filmed by attendees of the fight, which occurred in a vacant field near Palmetto High School.

As seen in this still, it appears most teens present came prepared to record the fisticuffs.

When questioned by a cop, Newcomb, pictured in the mug shot at right, claimed that she only attended the bout between the two 16-year-old combatants in order “to make sure nothing got out of hand.” She also wanted to look out for her daughter’s health since the teen had “sustained a skull fracture from a previous incident approximately two years ago.”

"Of course we were both wrong and I understand that," Newcomb said, adding, "I understand where ya’ll are coming from.”

As her daughter is being throttled by a larger girl, Newcomb can be heard at one point yelling to her child, “Don’t fucking stop.” Later in the video, apparently serving as her offspring’s corner man, Newcomb advises, “Punch her in the fucking body.”

Newcomb can also be seen at the clip’s outset, arriving with her daughter’s entourage as the teen's opponent bounced about in preparation for the fight.

how anyone can condemn what this guy did is beyond me.

he's a hero. i don't fkn care if he threatened so-called children. he did what everyone else on that bus was too gutless to do, stood up for someone (his daughter, admittedly) who needed help.

there isn't one of us on this site who doesn't regret not standing up for someone when they needed it. how many of us would make the same mistake twice?

Back
Top Bottom