Eyeful of breast-feeding mom sparks outrage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Highly disturbing?

The Associated Press
Posted: Friday, Oct. 10, 2008

NEW YORK We've already seen the baby pictures - now see the photo of Angelina Jolie apparently breastfeeding on the cover of W magazine.

Jolie appears on the cover of the W's November issue in a sleeveless top, which has been opened to reveal part of her left breast and a tiny hand ostensibly belonging to one of her twins, Knox Leon and Vivienne Marcheline, who were born in July.

The black-and-white photo shows Jolie smiling, her long brown hair cascading over her shoulder. The cover headline promises exclusive "private photos" of the 33-year-old actress by her partner Brad Pitt.

Jolie last caused a stir when she wore a white nursing bra underneath her tank top on the cover of People magazine after she and Pitt welcomed daughter Shiloh, now 2 years old.

Another breast-feeding cover that got people talking was in the summer of 2006, when Babytalk magazine published a photo of a baby and part of a woman's breast in profile. The magazine conducted a poll of more than 4,000 readers; a quarter of responses were negative, finding the photo inappropriate.

La Leche League International, the world's oldest breast-feeding support organization, applauds Jolie's apparent decision to be photographed nursing.

"Breast-feeding in public reveals a whole lot less than what has been revealed on the red carpet. ... I think we do need more role models like Angelina Jolie willing to be photographed and say, 'Hey look, it can be done, it oughta be done,'" said La Leche spokeswoman Jane Crouse.

original.jpg

Eamonn McCabe gives his verdict on Brad Pitt's photos of Angelina Jolie breastfeeding | Film | guardian.co.uk

In many ways this is a beautiful picture of a mother and child, taken by a besotted father. In other ways it's highly disturbing.

For a start, you can't see the baby. I can understand why they don't want to show its face, but just having a couple of fingers peeking out looks really odd. You start worrying: how is it breathing? Is it being smothered? Is there something really wrong with the rest of it?

But the main issue seems to be whether or not this is an amateur or a professional photo. It's being billed as amateur – "Brad Pitt's private photos" – but it's being featured on the front of an art issue of a magazine, one that's also featuring great photographers like William Egglestone. Are they saying Brad Pitt is a great photographer too?

He really isn't. The composition isn't terribly arty – it makes the magazine look like a bad issue of Woman's Realm. That pose is just so coy and twee. You can imagine turning the pages to find there's a feature in which Angelina is taught how to make a maternity dress.

Yet it doesn't seem entirely like a spontaneous shot by a doting dad. It's in black and white, for a start – and generally this kind of moment is one you'd want to record in colour. But I suppose black and white is obviously more flattering for someone who's just given birth. :rolleyes:

And it's just SO personal. You can see her breast. Which does make it strange he'd then show the world the photos: it's like saying – this is my wife, and I'm the only one allowed to photograph her like that.

Personally I hate looking at other people's family snaps – another picture of little Johnny, or 900 shots of Corfu. I'm not interested in their domestic lives.

The difference here is that millions of people are interested in Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's domestic life. And her face on the cover of a magazine sells copies; just like Princess Diana's used to, and Jordan's still does. It's interesting that all three are mothers - maybe they shift copies because they appeal to women as well as men.

Personally speaking, I find this picture just a bit too personal to enjoy. It's shallow, and creepy, and hypocritical, too. These celebrities say they don't want to be photographed in private, then they themselves shoot and then circulate snaps like these. Brad Pitt might well punch a photographer he thought was being intrusive. And now here he is, sticking a picture he took of his wife with her boob out on the front of a magazine. Film stars are weird!

Generally I find the public obsession with Brangelina warped beyond reason.

But I definitely applaud them for using their strange circumstances to push the boundaries of polite society in a progressive direction.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that it will take a celebrity to break down this barrier - yay Angelina!

Yet further example of how much motherhood is reviled in western culture :down:

Geez louise, what has happened to society. I breastfed my son for 9 months back in the late 70's and never had a problem.
I went to parties, to doctors appointments, family gatherings, to the beach and restaurants and never had anyone say a word.
Can it be that that breast have become so sexualized that even the mere act of breastfeeding has become a sex act in the eyes of warped/small minds?
Honestly, I had people come up to me while I was breast feeding and they had no idea I was. I practiced a level of modesty that made me comfortable, not anyone else.
It was personal and beautiful and I didn't have to make a point or make myself or anyone else uncomfortable.
Only problem I ever had was when my son was sitting in the supermarket buggy and decided to pull my strapless tube top, so popular in the 70's, down because he wanted to nurse. He wasn't screaming or making a scene and the people around me just laughed when I pulled the short sleeve shirt, I also had on, closed. No one called the police or reported me to the store manager.
I guess I was just lucky. Or things were much less rigid in the 70's maybe? I also breastfed my second child in the early eighties.
The point to this is a woman can breastfeed without offending anyone other than those who find offense with just about everything.
There are always going to be "those" people. It's a shame.

Geez louise, what has happened to society. I breastfed my son for 9 months back in the late 70's and never had a problem.
I went to parties, to doctors appointments, family gatherings, to the beach and restaurants and never had anyone say a word.
Can it be that that breast have become so sexualized that even the mere act of breastfeeding has become a sex act in the eyes of warped/small minds?
Honestly, I had people come up to me while I was breast feeding and they had no idea I was. I practiced a level of modesty that made me comfortable, not anyone else.
It was personal and beautiful and I didn't have to make a point or make myself or anyone else uncomfortable.
Only problem I ever had was when my son was sitting in the supermarket buggy and decided to pull my strapless tube top, so popular in the 70's, down because he wanted to nurse. He wasn't screaming or making a scene and the people around me just laughed when I pulled the short sleeve shirt, I also had on, closed. No one called the police or reported me to the store manager.
I guess I was just lucky. Or things were much less rigid in the 70's maybe? I also breastfed my second child in the early eighties.
The point to this is a woman can breastfeed without offending anyone other than those who find offense with just about everything.
There are always going to be "those" people. It's a shame.

I think you hit the nail on the head with idea about the breast becoming so overtly sexualized. Every aspect of the woman's body has become so objectified, that for it to serve any other purpose than to gratify is just, for some, incomprehensible and indecent :huh: It's not the women who choose to breast feed in public with the problem, but the people who can't tolerate to see breasts in public.

The country that has a Hooters in every town gets crazy about breast-feeding.
America has the greatest double-standards on earth. ;)

And the thing is - where is this huge problem of exposed women running around with breast hanging out.
Really, how many, if any of you have been exposed to unwanted breastfeeding.
I don't ever see it.
How can this be a problem that deserves any attention?
It boggles the mind what some people focus on.
At least my mind anyway :huh:.

So breastfeeding is dirty now?

I'm not one of those people who think women should just whip out their breasts and nurse their babies in full view of the world. I think a receiving blanket thrown over the shoulder is courteous when in nursing in public places.

But why is everyone getting so up in arms about this? So the side of her breast is exposed? So? If the baby's hand weren't visible, no one would care. Most of us who've seen some of Angelina's earlier films have seen much more of her than that. Actresses display way more than that everywhere else.

But now apparently the side of her breast is a bad thing because it's apparent that she's nursing.

I'm offended. She's doing the natural, healthy thing for her children. Women, famous or otherwise, shouldn't have to hide in the closet to nurse their babies.

I personally think it's a beautiful photo, and it's nice to see her smiling so naturally. She's clearly happy.

All the people getting up in arms about this are just uptight idiots.

I wonder if part of the uproar is W's implied sexualization of the photos by labeling them "Brad Pitt's Private Photos of Angelina Jolie"---kind of implying that they're dirty in some way...

i think private is more a nuance for 'exclusive' rather then dirty or anything like that.
I think the guardian writer is a headcase. What person who sees a pic like that thinks the baby is being smothered or is totally ugly or something, how pathetic. Obviously they picked that photo because they didn't want Anges boob to be totally hanging out.

I think people forget that boobs are made for breastfeeding. By the time a boy is a teenager boobs are no longer what he drank from but something that even a slight glimpse of is sexual fantasy fodder. And we are a society just play into that, showcasing them in low cut dresses the magnitutde of the boob job industry, hooters any time a celebrity has a 'nip slip' or 'headlights' its in every tabloid around. When you make something sooooooo sexual and sooooooo erotic (oooh wow some mammary glands and a nipple, so SEXY!!!11!) when it goes back to being what it was made for, people can't handle it. :shrug: Totally sad for them.

And the thing is - where is this huge problem of exposed women running around with breast hanging out.
I don't ever see it.
How can this be a problem that deserves any attention?
It boggles the mind what some people focus on.
At least my mind anyway :huh:.

My aunt didn't have any problem doing that. We once went to Legoland in Denmark, a large theme park of the Lego company that is situated there. She then sat down and nursed my young cousin. And nobody cared at all.

I don't ever see it.
:huh:.

you have to give them a credit card number first

or so I have been told

The country that has a Hooters in every town gets crazy about breast-feeding.
America has the greatest double-standards on earth. ;)

Yes, it's only an American problem. We are such hypocritical bastards.
I know you say it in jest, it is a tired fucking subject, IMO. Nothing personal here Vinny.

You know what actual market freedom gives you?
It gives you a bunch of businessmen who want to see tits.
Why? I would argue it's totally fucking genetic.
Sort of like the genetically favored hip ratio.

But whatever suspect things we can say about men around here, and especially American men, let's do it. By all means.

This is not a great mystery. It's in our fucking psyche from day 1.

I've been a breastfeeding mother 2 times this thread has resurrected, and once recently I was actually feeding when I read it. There was yet another gleeful comment by Dread and I couldn't laugh, feed and reply at the same time. I do occasionally post while feeding. Disturbed? Go fuck yourself if you are! Seriously. I'm not saying this to provoke anyone. It is simply my attitude. I am, as DOL13 eloquently described it, offended by the notion that it is something to hide. If you approach breastfeeding with the attitude of a 14 year old hormonal schoolboy, then shame on you and as I said before, go take a hike. It's not me or mothers who feed with the problem. This is no debate. There is right and there is wrong. Feeding is natural and right. To treat it as a sexual matter when you are an adult is just moronic and offensive.

I've been a breastfeeding mother 2 times this thread has resurrected, and once recently I was actually feeding when I read it. There was yet another gleeful comment by Dread and I couldn't laugh, feed and reply at the same time.

Sorry Angie, you know I love you!!!!

:hug:

I do occasionally post while feeding. Disturbed? Go fuck yourself if you are! Seriously. I'm not saying this to provoke anyone. It is simply my attitude. I am, as DOL13 eloquently described it, offended by the notion that it is something to hide.

:hmm: Why would posting offend someone?

If you approach breastfeeding with the attitude of a 14 year old hormonal schoolboy, then shame on you and as I said before, go take a hike.

:hyper: I agree!

It's not me or mothers who feed with the problem. This is no debate. There is right and there is wrong. Feeding is natural and right. To treat it as a sexual matter when you are an adult is just moronic and offensive.

:D

:hmm: Why would posting offend someone?

:madspit:
i meant that my boobs hanging out while i post may disturb some people, now that they know :sexywink: then me saying to go take a hike would offend, but that's honestly my reaction, to tell people to go fuck themselves. it's the sentiment of many who feed their babies. i've spent enough time in mothers groups to come to the conclusion that you better shut your noisehole if you have a problem with it!
:D

in all seriousness, that photo of angelina is lovely. the baby's hand poking out is so cute and universal of what feeding bubs often do. remember, their little arms are barely long enough for them to touch the tops of their own heads and they'll frequently fan their fingers out and flex, then scrunch them up for a squeeze or handful of boob. it's nature's way of stimulating milk production. all they can grab is your boob. their little arms are just not long enough to reach any further. and as for suffocating, the deadshit writer of that story needs to be informed that breastfeeding bubs actually feed and breath at the same time. Clever little mites...
:cute:

ok, dread, pick yourself up off the floor. i've stopped talking now.
:hug:

Back
Top Bottom