Explosions at the Boston Marathon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not saying it does. I don't know the opinions of the families. If there's an overwhelming support for execution, I hope they get what they want. That's all I'm saying. If there's an overwhelming support for life in prison, I hope they get that, then.

Gotcha.

I would just prefer that we don't bring in their wishes into crimes. If we do, then we should extend that "right" of consideration to victims of every crime, and to me, that's not how the criminal system is intended to operate.

What is it about the death penalty that makes it so expensive, compared to life in prison? :hmm: Always been curious about that one.

It's the endless appeals that come with a death penalty that contribute to most of the expenses, so essentially it's the legals that add up. Some of these are in ongoing active appeals for decades, which ties up public prosecutors but in addition, unless the person convicted is able to get pro bono counsel (they often are if it is a highly visible case and the Innocence Project has been quite successful), then they have to rely on legal aid, which again is a drain of public funds.

It's also more expensive to house death row inmates in prisons than if they were not segregated from the rest of the prison population. But I think that this cost is more marginal.

So it's more the expenses on the legal system than the actual death sentence itself. How manny times can one appeal their sentence in the US system?

So it's more the expenses on the legal system than the actual death sentence itself. How manny times can one appeal their sentence in the US system?

my guess is that it varies state by state. the average length of time someone spends on death row has to be over 10 years. it's because it's so final, and because of the chance of someone being exonerated over evidence that the process is so thorough. no one wants to think of an innocent person being put to death.

some states don't have the death penalty, and most that do use it sparingly. the real outlier is Texas, which accounts for more than the lionshare of executions in the US.

it's a pretty racist thing as well.

I guess that's the major problem most people have with the DP, that they don't want an innocent person be put to that. Nobody wants that of course. It's a tricky situation.

Yes, let us differ to the sound moral judgement of the public, particularly of the unbiased people directly affected by a crime, and especially that of Eric Holder, POTUS' staunch defender in his extrajudicial and reckless drone war.

I think Amnesty International did a study and the average cost of using the death penalty is $2 million more than life in prison because of the cost of the appeals process. It might not be exactly that, but it's a significant number.

The death penalty is an abomination, like I said.

I think someone as young as 14 or 15 has full ability to tell right from wrong when it comes TJ using bombs to blow people up and shooting at police officers. There's no reason to pity him due to his age. He's an adult.

Don't worry. He'll lose it in prison ;)
You know it's interesting that most heterosexual men that are put into an extended prison sentence usually turn homosexual when engaging in intercourse. This is logical given that they are not going to have contact with women for years to come and the only thing left is to turn gay at least temporarily to release all the built up pressure.

Many experts have also correlated this phenomenon with the increase of prison sexual assaults, harassment and male-to-male rape cases.

But what does age have to do with it? What difference does it make to the victims, to the people crippled by the blast? Commit an adult crime, be charged for an adult crime.
I understand that juvenile courts and prisons are for teens under the age of 18. What most people are arguing is that the death penalty shouldn't be imposed in someone under 21 (if it were to happen, then he would be come the youngest person to be executed in history) but rather impose a life sentence instead of the death penalty.

they don't turn homosexual. they are straight men who are having sex with other men. they're still hetero, but in this situation they're engaging in homosexual sex.

men bugger each other all the time in the middle east.

You know it's interesting that most heterosexual men that are put into an extended prison sentence usually turn homosexual when engaging in intercourse. This is logical given that they are not going to have contact with women for years to come and the only thing left is to turn gay at least temporarily to release all the built up pressure.

Many experts have also correlated this phenomenon with the increase of prison sexual assaults, harassment and male-to-male rape cases.

You do realize that rape is about power and not sex, yes?

I refuse to wish rape on anyone, even the worst criminals in prison.

what's also awful is that HIV in prison runs rampant. so men go to prison -- sometimes for petty drug charges -- get raped, seroconvert, infect more men in prison, and then come out into the world and infect others.

Seriously, educate yourself...

Never thought I'd agree with Indy on something, but ah well.

:wink: Give in to the seducement of the Dark Side now and then.

My views aren't very ethical on the death penalty, but to me, premediated murderers and rapists should be excecuted. Simply because society is better off that way, no risk of repeat or escape from prison, the victims have no fear of them returning to society, and it saves a fuckload of money from giving them life sentences.

I know it's not a very popular view, maybe I've become this way after seeing what it can do to a person, but yeah. I don't see why an asshole that has been raping a woman since she was a little girl deserves to be alive, when she's got the death sentence having to live her life with all the trauma and fear. That's just no justice.

Consider this. What moral message does it send society that mass murders should receive the same penalty as defrauders like Bernie Madoff?

Answer: A terrible one.

How is it moral to kill anyone? Whether it's criminal or state sanctioned?

People don't deserve to be murdered/killed. It's natural to want an eye for an eye, but that doesn't make it moral.

You punish criminals with varying degrees of laws and actions. I do not see how you can tell citizens it isn't ok to kill as a governing body and then go and put someone to death, no matter how horrible the crime or person.

Sorry, but some people do deserve it. Disgusting excuses for human beings who rape and abuse innocent victims, who mass murder people for the most insane reasons.... what the hell do they have for value to our kind?

I don't see what killing a bad person does for the rest of society that locking them up for life wouldn't also accomplish, other than satiating a sort of guttural thirst for revenge.

Sorry, but some people do deserve it. Disgusting excuses for human beings who rape and abuse innocent victims, who mass murder people for the most insane reasons.... what the hell do they have for value to our kind?

I don't see what killing a bad person does for the rest of society that locking them up for life wouldn't also accomplish, other than satiating a sort of guttural thirst for revenge.

I understand the line of both opinions. When I hear about people raping children, I'm all for their executions. Sometimes I think just putting a bullet into their heads is good enough, no trial needed. I especially feel that way toward child rapists because they are torturing the most helpless and vulnerable of humans. It's like, what good are you to be in this world if you want to harm children?

But then again, would doing so really eliminate child abuse? Will it heal all wounds once and for all? The most the death penalty does is heal our knee-jerk reactions, although those reactions are completely understandable because some humans are totally sick beyond words.

It's tough, but I don't think the death penalty is the answer. Although, the fact that child abusers will have to be very careful once they enter prison walls is a comforting thought.

Deserve ain't got nothin' to do with it.

It may not eradicate all cases, but it makes sure that that person will never have a victim again. Your laws are better in the US, for you life is actually life. Life sentence here is 20-30 years tops, and they can get out when 2/3rd of the sentence is served. Happily going on with their life, possibly making more victims. While the victim has a life sentence with the traumas. That is not fucking right. It's no justice. In that case, death would be a better solution for the victim and possible future victims.

Back
Top Bottom