Explosions at the Boston Marathon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rolling Stone has a long tradition of fairly stellar long form journalism. It sounds like this article continues said tradition.

Also, the pic is a selfie. We've all taken one.

I haven't paid for a Rolling Stone magazine since I wanted to read the Zooropa review - so about 20 years ago.

You know what? I think that was the exact last time I bought that rag too.

Although I read some other magazines during that period until the end of the decade. Since then, it's been all internet.

Not sure why the outrage over the cover. Like others have said, it demonstrates the many different faces that terrorism can take. I think that was the point behind the photo (a selfie, no less), although I'm sure they expected the sort of outrage and debate it generated.

The article itself is fantastic.

where was the outcry when the same photo was used by the new york times? they didn't photoshop a trendy band's shirt on him or something to make him look cooler. there's always articles like these. it's refreshing to see them write about something serious instead of another article about some overexposed musician.

U.S. to seek death penalty in Boston bombing case - The Washington Post

The Justice Department announced Thursday that it would seek the death penalty against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the 20-year-old man whom prosecutors have accused of bombing the Boston Marathon, killing three people and injuring more than 200 others.

“The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision,” Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said in a short statement.

:up: It only took 5 years but Eric Holder has finally made a sound decision.

OK FYM, explain to the families of those killed or the 16 survivors that had legs amputated why this monster deserves to live.

OK FYM, explain to the families of those killed or the 16 survivors that had legs amputated why this monster deserves to live.

Because all the family members unanimously agree with the application of the death penalty? And the ones who don't, who cares about their views?

How can you argue against government making decisions like healthcare and death panels, yet ok with a literal death panel.

It's horrible what this person did. I am against the death penalty. I don't think it's right for the state to contradicting views when it comes to murder.

This man killed people, hurt others badly. I can see an emotional response would be to see him die.

I just don't see it as a moral response

Yeah! Let's fuck this guy up with a lethal injection baby! That'll teach him!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I will say that my biggest problem with the death penalty is it's finality, and the fact that money gets you out of a death sentence. Also being white.

The normal death penalty objections do to apply as much in a case like this. I do agree.

However, I see nothing gained by an execution, and it seems shocking that people who advocate a "culture of life" become so bloodthirsty at the drop of a hat.

His guilt is not in any question, he premeditated to kill and maim as many people as possible, and I don't think he is pleading insanity. If his execution offers the families of the victims even a small degree of closure, I'm all for it.

I will say that my biggest problem with the death penalty is it's finality, and the fact that money gets you out of a death sentence. Also being white.

The normal death penalty objections do to apply as much in a case like this. I do agree.

However, I see nothing gained by an execution, and it seems shocking that people who advocate a "culture of life" become so bloodthirsty at the drop of a hat.

:up:

Beyond a reasonable doubt. Not "guilty for certain." The death penalty is an abomination.

:up:

He'll also die a martyr. It reminds me of how Timothy McVeigh treated his execution. He was so satisfied to see all the reporters, officials and family members of the people he killed once he arrived in the chamber. His execution was like a sacrifice for his cause, at least in his eyes. No doubt this kid will have the same attitude.

Let's not give him that opportunity. Let him be locked away in a prison cell for good.

Never thought I'd agree with Indy on something, but ah well. My views aren't very ethical on the death penalty, but to me, premediated murderers and rapists should be excecuted. Simply because society is better off that way, no risk of repeat or escape from prison, the victims have no fear of them returning to society, and it saves a fuckload of money from giving them life sentences.

I know it's not a very popular view, maybe I've become this way after seeing what it can do to a person, but yeah. I don't see why an asshole that has been raping a woman since she was a little girl deserves to be alive, when she's got the death sentence having to live her life with all the trauma and fear. That's just no justice.

Perhaps some may find this ironic (I don't), but I'm a Christian, so I'm vehemently against killing/executing anyone for any reason. It's really not my place to make ultimate decisions about the lives of others, regardless of their crimes. Let them rot. And if the criminal justice system made a mistake (!?!?!), I'll sleep easier knowing the possibility to rectify that mistake is still open. This is, of course, a position regarding execution in general and not so much this instance, though my belief that a judge shouldn't be in control of absolute finality stands regardless.

Last edited:
i'm completely against the death penalty. to me, at the very least it's a human being deciding to play god. who are any of us to decide when it's someone's time to die? murder is absolutely wrong, but it doesn't justify taking someone's life in return. that "an eye for an eye" crap is so old testament.

Never thought I'd agree with Indy on something, but ah well. My views aren't very ethical on the death penalty, but to me, premediated murderers and rapists should be excecuted. Simply because society is better off that way, no risk of repeat or escape from prison, the victims have no fear of them returning to society, and it saves a fuckload of money from giving them life sentences.

I know it's not a very popular view, maybe I've become this way after seeing what it can do to a person, but yeah. I don't see why an asshole that has been raping a woman since she was a little girl deserves to be alive, when she's got the death sentence having to live her life with all the trauma and fear. That's just no justice.

It does not save money. The death penalty costs significantly more than life in prison.

What strikes me about this guy is that he seems utterly unrepentant. He was reportedly blowing kisses to his relatives in court. If someone close to me had died by his deeds, the thought of him spending life in prison with a grin plastered on his face while reading his "fanmail" from female admirers would be galling to say the least. I'd want him to shit his pants as he was being led to the gas chamber. Vengeance isn't a pretty emotion, but sometimes it's the only one that matters.

Did you ignore everything I said above? If you support the death penalty you're wrong. It's not hard. If you disagree, counter my arguments.

Perhaps some may find this ironic (I don't), but I'm a Christian, so I'm vehemently against killing/executing anyone for any reason. It's really not my place to make ultimate decisions about the lives of others, regardless of their crimes. Let them rot. And if the criminal justice system made a mistake (!?!?!), I'll sleep easier knowing the possibility to rectify that mistake is still open. This is, of course, a position regarding execution in general and not so much this instance, though my belief that a judge shouldn't be in control of absolute finality stands regardless.

This, to a T.

I'm normally against the death penalty, but like lemonfly said, if that's what the victims' families want, go for it.

I mean it's either off him now and don't give him the satisfaction of the ability to consciously exist or make him rot the rest of his life in prison (which effectively does the same thing).

I'm normally against the death penalty, but like lemonfly said, if that's what the victims' families want, go for it.

I find this to be a bit of a strange attitude. Should victims also be determining other sentences? If a woman is raped, the judge or jury take into consideration of the totality of evidence and she can testify, but if she "wants" the guy to get more time than the judge is willing to dole out, so? In the criminal legal system, it is the government who seeks a sentence, not victims.

I find this to be a bit of a strange attitude. Should victims also be determining other sentences? If a woman is raped, the judge or jury take into consideration of the totality of evidence and she can testify, but if she "wants" the guy to get more time than the judge is willing to dole out, so? In the criminal legal system, it is the government who seeks a sentence, not victims.

Surely I don't mean "if the victims request it" so much as I mean if they're not opposed to the death penalty that Attorney General Eric Holder has already requested.

I mean, that's what's on the table. It was never their decision though.

Right, but in a case which affects this many people, there are many victims and many victims' families. So why does the opinion of those who support the death penalty among them matter more than the ones who don't?

Back
Top Bottom