Elections in Europe - This time: Germany

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sad:

But the DVU is out of Brandenburg again! They lost almost all votes. From 6,1% down to 1%. And there's hoping for my home land, Schleswig-Holstein!

Sept. 28 (Bloomberg) -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she’ll press ahead with tax cuts and labor-market deregulation after winning re-election with enough support to govern with the pro-business Free Democrats.

With Germany struggling to recover from the deepest economic slump since World War II, voters spurned plans by Merkel’s Social Democratic challenger to raise taxes on top earners. Frank-Walter Steinmeier’s SPD had its worst postwar result in what he called a “bitter day” after sharing power with Merkel for four years and governing for the previous seven.

During the campaign, she pledged to pursue deregulation, extend the life of nuclear-power plants and introduce across- the-board tax cuts of 15 billion euros ($22 billion).
Deregulation? Across-the-board tax cuts? I thought that sort of fiscal nonsense had been replaced by hopeychangy economics.

What's the source? Apparently Merkel told that source different things she said to all the German media. At least, yesterday she didn't make such clear statements at all.

I thought the FDP said they wanted the tax cuts and deregulation? The CDU and FDP still have to build compromises on topics like that. I don't recall Merkel saying such things for her party. Negotiations are there, yes. But I think a lot of those sources just read the opinions of the CDU and FDP as 'one government' already.

In Dutch media they spoke of the wishes of the FDP for the future on these topics, but not Merkel saying this.

Yes, it was the positions of the FDP during the campaign. However, in all interviews yesterday they already avoided repeating such promises, used more general language etc. And the CDU did not mention at all that they would do such things. It really remains to be seen what the negotiations will bring, really. Merkel said she is positive the coalition would stand by November 9. Let's say how much the FDP will be giving in. I guess these losers will compromise all their civil rights issues. :angry:

Oh, and al Quaeda has got two weeks from now.

I thought the FDP said they wanted the tax cuts and deregulation? The CDU and FDP still have to build compromises on topics like that. I don't recall Merkel saying such things for her party. Negotiations are there, yes. But I think a lot of those sources just read the opinions of the CDU and FDP as 'one government' already.

In Dutch media they spoke of the wishes of the FDP for the future on these topics, but not Merkel saying this.

yeah that's right. she said like nothing during the election campaign. she wasn't even willing to participate in a debate on tv with all other parties. now, she keeps saying that she wants to be a chancellor for all germans... that was the only specific thing she said yesterday night lol! :rolleyes:

"I want to be Chancellor for everyone, even those who didn't vote for me."

Yes, like it would be possible any other way. :rolleyes:

I can't remember any election campaign before that was so much "non-existing".

Nice fact: The Pirates got almost as many votes as all three Nazi-parties combined.

yeah really good that the nazi got what they deserve this time. ( in contrast to the austrian election yesterday. :( )
honestly, i'm surprised that the pirates got so many votes. i mean they still don't have a election programm. :shrug:

There were elections in Austria yesterday? Have only heard about the Portuguese. :confused:

I guess there is just quite a number who are concerned with Schäuble and don't think the FDP would be the right answer to the problem. Which they aren't because one, they don't honestly care and two, their economic programs etc. are contrary to that of many people. And they want to extend the running time of the nuclear power plants. :crack:

in northern austria was an election yesterday. ( i read it in the newpaper today).

of course this is all true, but i couldn't vote for a party that is against the schäuble plans and that's all they have to say. even less if it's bundestagswahl. :shrug:
:wink:

Well, the Greens didn't cover all topics when they started, either. :wink: Had the results been closer I might have thought "Shit", but as thinks are it's not really dramatic. At least the SPD could take the results to heart and honestly do something about their sorry state.

Back
Top Bottom