Ebola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sr. Poop

Acrobat
I've been studying and following this virus for years... Since I read "The Hot Zone"

I can't believe nobody here talking about this... This is some ducking scary shit.... World War Z type shit.

Don't let they idiot from the CDC fool... They aren't bringing the people here for the magical care...they are doing other experimental shit with them.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I can't believe nobody here talking about this... This is some ducking scary shit.... World War Z type shit.

Eh, not really. Ebola can't spread very easily. I'm much more concerned about bird flu or some terrorist acquiring smallpox.

Eh, not really. Ebola can't spread very easily. I'm much more concerned about bird flu or some terrorist acquiring smallpox.

Those are both issues but if this ever gets out and does spread your fucked. If enough people become infected and spreads it will mutate... It just needs to take hold.

This is a sign that our population may have reached its capacity and its time to start eliminating its excess baggage.

You should be scared

I'll be worried when it becomes airborne.

I also think that one reason why the fatality rate is so high is that all the outbreaks that have occurred in Africa, where medical care isn't as good as it is in developed nations. If an Ebola outbreak happened in a developed nation, I'm betting the fatality rate wouldn't be as high as the 60-90% we typically see in outbreaks in Africa.

Wouldn't have expected a thread on Ebola to start so badly, but there you go.

I'm not as worried as some appear to be, just because all the other viruses that were meant to wipe out the world in recent years (SARS, bird flu et al) that never eventuated, but yeah, still damn scary stuff.

Wouldn't have expected a thread on Ebola to start so badly, but there you go.

I'm not as worried as some appear to be, just because all the other viruses that were meant to wipe out the world in recent years (SARS, bird flu et al) that never eventuated, but yeah, still damn scary stuff.

Fail on my part...

I wanted to see if people were freaked out about it like the media wants us to be. People on this site seem to actually be pretty level headed for the most part :)

Donald Trump has some real enlightened ideas about the virus.

Donald Trump is also a professional asshole.

About Ebola perhaps.
About a new U2 album, not so much.

Heh.

Well one thing I do not understand is why they are bringing the infected doctors to the US. The virus isn't treatable right? So why help it across the ocean with the risk of accidentally spreading it somewhere? :hmm:

Heh.

Well one thing I do not understand is why they are bringing the infected doctors to the US. The virus isn't treatable right? So why help it across the ocean with the risk of accidentally spreading it somewhere? :hmm:

Not gonna lie, it is freaking me the fuck out a little. I've clearly seen too many movies.

I guess the idea is two-fold: 1) they don't want to leave citizens behind, and 2) they're taking them to the CDC in Atlanta to try and find a treatment.

There is a treatment (of sorts), there just isn't a cure. The treatment is keep the patient's blood pressure and hydration up and hope for the best.

Isn't Ebola usually paired with bleedings from pretty much everywhere? :hmm: Wouldn't keeping the blood pressure up make that worse, or is it to prevent the bleeding from occuring?

Extreme external hemorrhage only happens to approximately 20% of those with Ebola, so while it's something to take into account, the low blood pressure is something that's to be expected and dangerous in its own right. The bleeding happens towards the end of the disease anyway, so you want to prevent them from being that far gone in the first place.

Last edited:
Heh.

It's now looking like they are bringing them back to study the experimental treatment that was administered in Africa.

I'm curious as to how fast they will be able to approve this serum for general use.

Ebola drug likely saved American patients - CNN.com

Extreme external hemorrhage only happens to approximately 20% of those with Ebola, so while it's something to take into account, the low blood pressure is something that's to be expected and dangerous in its own right. The bleeding happens towards the end of the disease anyway, so you want to prevent them from being that far gone in the first place.

The bleeding comes for liver failure as the liver is what produces clotting factors. That's why it's towards the end and why they are brining US patients back. They probably don't have an abundance of these clotting factors since they are rare and very expensive. They also will use PRBC (packed red blood cells) and vitamin k to also try and curb the bleeding.

These items are also expensive and in short supply. But, if liver failure occurs and the bleeding can be controlled transplant is the only other chance for survival and livers are also not very cheap.

Heh.

They're bringing them to the US because they can get the best medical treatment here. In West Africa the hospitals are overcrowded and the staff is overworked. They have a much better chance of survival if they're treated over here.

They're bringing them to the US because they can get the best medical treatment here. In West Africa the hospitals are overcrowded and the staff is overworked. They have a much better chance of survival if they're treated over here.

And because of what I said in my post above...

It's now looking like they are bringing them back to study the experimental treatment that was administered in Africa.

I'm curious as to how fast they will be able to approve this serum for general use.

Ebola drug likely saved American patients - CNN.com

:hmm: That's pretty cool, though drug approval may take years... then again, I'd say there will be plenty of people willing to be a test case for this drug since the other option is dying from ebola.

It's spreading even more now...

Back
Top Bottom