Ebola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every site I've seen proclaiming ebola doom is some fringe, ultra-conservative site encouraging bulk purchases of bullets and tinfoil.

I'm not saying their conclusions are wrong, but that's how it's been.

Ben Affleck said "we're going to be fine! Calm the fuck down!"

So I guess I can sleep better at night now.

If Ebola takes us out, I'm going to be pissed. I've always hoped it would be a zombie apocalypse.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Ben Affleck said "we're going to be fine! Calm the fuck down!"

So I guess I can sleep better at night now.

As reliable or more reliable than Fox AntiScience News?

Stop listening to both, and listen to real science.

Ebola Zombie

third-ebola-victim-africa.jpg

Have you seen this article?

Africa Confirms 3rd Ebola Victim Rises From the Dead, Releases Picture of First “Ebola Zombie” Captured | Big American News

Ok, I'll take that under advisement. Hopefully my terror is the vaccine we've been looking for all along.

Ebola: Texas nurse tests positive - CNN.com

To those who that are calling it "fear mongering"... FU!!! You should be scared as hell. We have NEVER dealt with this before and we are just not prepared like the CDC or our government is telling you.

You think you know but you don't!

No, we should not be scared as hell. We should care enough to get informed and pay attention, but this "FU" sensationalist fear-mongering hurts more than it helps.

Last edited:
Yes, we are prepared for this. You think this is going to turn into a global pandemic with casualties in the hundreds of thousands...it's not. Enough with the fear-mongering.

Yes, we are prepared for this. You think this is going to turn into a global pandemic with casualties in the hundreds of thousands...it's not. Enough with the fear-mongering.

No, we are not. and yes, hundreds of thousands.

You know, Sr. Poop, since you have absolutely no evidence to back up your assertion that this is going to spiral out of control, maybe you should back off the needlessly confrontational tone.

You know, Sr. Poop, since you have absolutely no evidence to back up your assertion that this is going to spiral out of control, maybe you should back off the needlessly confrontational tone.

Do you have evidence that its not?

The fact is that thousands of people come through hospitals everyday with many easily infectious diseases: influenza, pneumonia, C. Diff., bacterial, viral, protozoal, and others. Yes, nurses, physicians, and pharmacists do contract some of these while they are in contact with patients. The fact remains, one person whom has been taken care of at the hospital that has died and already a hospital staff member has contracted Ebola. This person used all precautions possible,and yet, they have now tests positive.

You people talk about how hard it is to contract? Its not hard at all. The only reason that Ebola never spread like this since its discovery in 79 was because it only occurred in small African villages. Once one village member contracted it the rest of the village was quarantined until everyone died and the virus died along with them.

Look... I'm not trying to fear monger, I'm just trying to get people to start taking this seriously and stop acting like they know everything about this virus and have some respect for it... we don't know shit. When do Dr.'s make mistakes? When they lose their fear and respect for continued learning and understanding.

Facts: Ebola leads to major organ failure (liver) --> leads to bleeding due to the loss of clotting factor production --> leads to death.

In order to stop this type of massive bleeding you need to have a transfusion protocol that provides PRBC (packed red blood cells), clotting factors, IV vitamin K (phytonadione), IV fluid for volume support, and pressors to help increase blood flow to the heart and brain and support blood pressure.

Thats it! Only support. There is not drug, vaccine, antibiotic to stop the infection.

Now, most hospitals carry 5 to 10 sets of clotting factors and costs thousands of dollars per dose. They just can't economically carry very many of these. These are also on hand in case someone comes in due to a subarachnoid hemorrhage in a patient the either had a fall and is on warfarin and has an elevated INR or because they are on dabigatran and are too high of a dose with renal insufficiency.

Imagine a small outbreak of Ebola occurs... People come in with hematemesis, bloody diarrhea, and blood oozing out of every other orifice in their body. Fluids are going to be every where, it will get on everything. People are going to get infected because they don't know haw to handle this virus. They have never come in contact with it in their lives... ever.

Now it starts to spread. But this nice 50 to 60% mortality rate you hear about in this great and advanced healthcare system of the United Stated will dramatically increase to 85 to 95% as the small supply of blood, clotting factors, and IV K disappear in the blink of an eye. There is no more care for you... only death.

The fact is that our hospitals are not ready for something like this. Don't delude yourself into thinking we are.

Just wait for when some small rural community hospital gets its first patient... Some kid flies back from Africa after a mission helping some village with his microbiologic back ground. Flies back into Boston and takes a bus to Springfield MA. This kid goes back his dorm and begins to shows signs and symptoms, gets scared to let anyone know and thus exposes everyone at the dorm. Eventually, he gets a ride to a small community hospital where he is now in the ED with bodily fluids all over the place. And thus a major outbreak starts but you can't quarantine the small city until everyone dies. Its not a good situation here people.

Imagine a small outbreak of Ebola occurs... People come in with hematemesis, bloody diarrhea, and blood oozing out of every other orifice in their body. Fluids are going to be every where, it will get on everything. People are going to get infected because they don't know haw to handle this virus. They have never come in contact with it in their lives... ever.

Now it starts to spread. But this nice 50 to 60% mortality rate you hear about in this great and advanced healthcare system of the United Stated will dramatically increase to 85 to 95% as the small supply of blood, clotting factors, and IV K disappear in the blink of an eye. There is no more care for you... only death.

The fact is that our hospitals are not ready for something like this. Don't delude yourself into thinking we are.

The extreme hemorrhaging only happens in about 20% of cases and that's after the disease has been showing major symptoms for around 2-3 days. It's not that contagious, you have to be in contact with bodily fluids. That's why health care workers are more likely to get infected and why it's actually easier to contain because hospitals now have procedures for this kind of stuff. It's not easy to treat, but it is easy to contain in a Western society with advanced medical techniques. I can guarantee you we will only see 1s-10s of cases in the US. This in no way will turn into a massive epidemic in the US with cases in every city.

The one thing that does make me a little more concerned than I might have been is the logistics of stamping out these little wildfires (people and places the recently returning victim may have associated with before turning up in hospital with ebola).

I'm guessing, from what I can glean so far, the virus can and does survive for some time on a touched doorknob, or a railing along the back of a seat on a bus or something. You know, things people touch with their sweaty hands. And then we're off to the races... though I am not, just yet, prepared to get on board with a 'Captain Trips' style freakout.

This person used all precautions possible,and yet, they have now tests positive.

You people talk about how hard it is to contract? Its not hard at all.

It's believed that she didn't follow all protocol, so I'm not sure what you're basing this comment on. And to say it's "not hard at all" is completely disingenuous and I think you know that.

One doesn't have to lie and go into hysterics to respect the danger of this disease, you can understand the facts and still respect the danger.

Back
Top Bottom