Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Redneck says something offensive about sexual orientation and race. Film at 11.

I mean, when the show itself sort of prides itself on giving us a slice of redneck life, I find it a little odd that A&E would be shocked that some of his views would be pretty... narrow (to put it politely). At least shocked enough to remove him from the show.

LOL - that's pretty much how I feel.

I agree with Irvine - that just like in the NFL, the man represents A&E every time he speaks. However, as you just stated above - he's one of the representatives of a redneck family on a redneck show celebrating redneck culture and should be expected to say redneck things.
__________________

AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Again, though, clothes? Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner El Guapo View Post
This is just a whole bucket of wow.
I said something without really thinking. Seriously, I wasn't. I just shot my mouth off and said something stupid and ridiculous. That's really all there is.
__________________

Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 9,457
Local Time: 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I've never heard of Duck Dynasty. Don't think I'm missing much judging by the description.

Not at all. It's about the American Dream. A family makes a fortune murdering ducks. I wonder what Donald or Daffy think about this show.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,546
Local Time: 03:44 AM
I see that Sarah Palin and Bobby Jindal have weighed in on Phil Robertson's "first amendment rights being violated." Surely our elected officials understand that the first amendment only protects individuals from prosecution, not criticism. Surely.

At least Jindal is actually from the same fucking state. Someone seriously need to tell Palin that her 15 minutes were up 5 years ago.
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I said something without really thinking. Seriously, I wasn't. I just shot my mouth off and said something stupid and ridiculous. That's really all there is.
Don't feel too bad. While I agree it's unfair to make a complete evaluation of a person based on their appearance (clothing, hair style) - we all make quick assessments based on such things.

Unlike skin color - we have quite a bit of choice when it comes to our clothing and hairstyle - and our chosen appearance does communicate something.
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Redneck says something offensive about sexual orientation and race. Film at 11.

I mean, when the show itself sort of prides itself on giving us a slice of redneck life, I find it a little odd that A&E would be shocked that some of his views would be pretty... narrow (to put it politely). At least shocked enough to remove him from the show.
Reminds me of the Dog the Bounty Hunter thing.

"You have a sterling reputation for tracking down people and beating them to a pulp, we can't have you out there saying anything offensive!"
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,068
Local Time: 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
I agree with Irvine - that just like in the NFL, the man represents A&E every time he speaks. However, as you just stated above - he's one of the representatives of a redneck family on a redneck show celebrating redneck culture and should be expected to say redneck things.


Honey Boo-Boo's family is as "redneck" as they come, and they love and adore their gay Uncle.

so does it sound like we have the soft bigotry of low expectations when it comes to those deemed PWT?
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
so does it sound like we have the soft bigotry of low expectations when it comes to those deemed PWT?
Yes, I can be guilty of that. Considering I have a good chunk of family in the Midwest that fit that label - it's difficult for me to "erase" that stereotype in my own mind. Every time I visit, the stereotype is unfortunately reinforced.

Want to here something funny - back there they consider me Far Left and a bit of a California Marxist.
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
I see that Sarah Palin and Bobby Jindal have weighed in on Phil Robertson's "first amendment rights being violated." Surely our elected officials understand that the first amendment only protects individuals from prosecution, not criticism. Surely.
This is certainly not a First Amendment issue. The government has nothing to do with this. It's between an employer and employee.
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,357
Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Yes, I can be guilty of that. Considering I have a good chunk of family in the Midwest that fit that label - it's difficult for me to "erase" that stereotype in my own mind. Every time I visit, the stereotype is unfortunately reinforced.

Want to here something funny - back there they consider me Far Left and a bit of a California Marxist.
This frightens me, AEON.
Vlad n U 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,117
Local Time: 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post

Want to here something funny - back there they consider me Far Left and a bit of a California Marxist.
I know that feeling. I'm pretty moderate, probably lean a little closer to the right than left, but really, I think it just depends on the day. But some people in my family treat me like a friggin' outsider sometimes when politics come up because I'm just a "liberal". It's disappointing when people treat others according to political leanings.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 9,457
Local Time: 06:44 AM

Wow, people are really up in arms about this fuckin issue. The internet hate is extra venomous. Especially my hometown rag, Newsday. The reader comments there are horrible. Lots of anti-gay stuff. Mean people really do suck.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I know that feeling. I'm pretty moderate, probably lean a little closer to the right than left, but really, I think it just depends on the day. But some people in my family treat me like a friggin' outsider sometimes when politics come up because I'm just a "liberal". It's disappointing when people treat others according to political leanings.
Yeah - sounds like we're in about the same place. I generally avoid face to face political discussions anymore.
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Wow, people are really up in arms about this fuckin issue. The internet hate is extra venomous. Especially my hometown rag, Newsday. The reader comments there are horrible. Lots of anti-gay stuff. Mean people really do suck.
I'm pretty amazed about the anonymous comment sections to "hot button" articles. Is it how people really feel if they when they're not held accountable for their words? Or is it for some "shock" value type of thrill? Either way - it's a bit scary.
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I know that feeling. I'm pretty moderate, probably lean a little closer to the right than left, but really, I think it just depends on the day. But some people in my family treat me like a friggin' outsider sometimes when politics come up because I'm just a "liberal". It's disappointing when people treat others according to political leanings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Yeah - sounds like we're in about the same place. I generally avoid face to face political discussions anymore.
Unfortunately, politics is a daily obsession in my family. Which isn't easy when my parents and one of my sisters are radical conservatives (I say radical because they believe the Obama birther stories, listen to Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck everyday, believe we are living in the end times because of Obama, etc.) so I have to keep my mouth shut even though they say things that drive me crazy. Let's just say Christmas is going to be fun.
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #36
War Child
 
Inner El Guapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 609
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Just to address some of the previous discussion, and not anyone in particular:

I know tons of rednecks. Being redneck is a culture like any other and fairly diversified like a lot of subsets of people. I know rednecks that listen to nothing but country music and rednecks that fucking despise all country music. There are absolutely homophobes and there are certainly plenty of those that are tolerant within that culture, most of them totally indifferent. There are racist assholes and tons of white redneck dudes with hot ass black girlfriends. "Redneck" is not synonymous with hateful bigot and it's not synonymous with Po' White Trash either. Some rednecks are rich as fuck, educated and cultured.
Inner El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #37
War Child
 
Inner El Guapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 609
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
(I say radical because they believe the Obama birther stories, listen to Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck everyday, believe we are living in the end times because of Obama, etc.) so I have to keep my mouth shut even though they say things that drive me crazy. Let's just say Christmas is going to be fun.
I have some of those people in my family too.

The only way I can describe it is - FRUSTRATION.
Inner El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #38
War Child
 
Inner El Guapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 609
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
I'm pretty amazed about the anonymous comment sections to "hot button" articles. Is it how people really feel if they when they're not held accountable for their words? Or is it for some "shock" value type of thrill? Either way - it's a bit scary.
Alcohol might be a factor. But I do believe those people, mostly, actually do feel that way. It's especially bad if you frequent sports forums. Bunch of alpha-males measuring dicks against each other. I was there when I was younger. I've tried to evolve. I guess some people have no desire to do so.

The sheer thrill probably comes from insulting people. We are a superficial, judgmental society built on the social hierarchy of High School, where the majority of the population resides no matter how old they get. Gossipy superficial crap. That TMZ and the like exist is a stain on Western culture. Maybe it happens elsewhere too, I don't know. I just know I hate it.
Inner El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner El Guapo View Post
Alcohol might be a factor. But I do believe those people, mostly, actually do feel that way. It's especially bad if you frequent sports forums. Bunch of alpha-males measuring dicks against each other. I was there when I was younger. I've tried to evolve. I guess some people have no desire to do so.

The sheer thrill probably comes from insulting people. We are a superficial, judgmental society built on the social hierarchy of High School, where the majority of the population resides no matter how old they get. Gossipy superficial crap. That TMZ and the like exist is a stain on Western culture. Maybe it happens elsewhere too, I don't know. I just know I hate it.
I don't want to agree with you, but I think you're probably right.
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner El Guapo View Post
Just to address some of the previous discussion, and not anyone in particular:

I know tons of rednecks. Being redneck is a culture like any other and fairly diversified like a lot of subsets of people. I know rednecks that listen to nothing but country music and rednecks that fucking despise all country music. There are absolutely homophobes and there are certainly plenty of those that are tolerant within that culture, most of them totally indifferent. There are racist assholes and tons of white redneck dudes with hot ass black girlfriends. "Redneck" is not synonymous with hateful bigot and it's not synonymous with Po' White Trash either. Some rednecks are rich as fuck, educated and cultured.
I think Jeff Foxworthy gave us a decent list of what makes up a "redneck" a few years back...
__________________

AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×