Dozens Dead After Islamists Burn Down Nigerian School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
:sigh:

At least 29 pupils and a teacher have been killed in a pre-dawn attack by suspected Islamists on a school in northeastern Nigeria, reports say.
Eyewitnesses said some of the victims were burned alive in the attack, in Mamudo town, Yobe state.
Dozens of schools have been burned in attacks by Islamists since 2010.
Yobe is one of three states where President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in May, sending thousands of troops to the area.
A reporter from the Associated Press found chaotic scenes at the hospital in nearby Potiskum, where traumatised parents struggled to identify their children among the charred bodies and gunshot victims.
Survivors said suspected militants arrived with containers full of fuel and set fire to the school.
Some pupils were burned alive, others were shot as they tried to flee.
The BBC's Will Ross, in Lagos, says this area has frequently been attacked by the Boko Haram militant group.
More than 600 people were believed to have been killed in 2012 by the group, which is fighting to overthrow the government and create an Islamic state in Nigeria's predominantly Muslim north.
BBC News - 'Dozens dead' in school attack in Nigeria's Yobe state

Bet you this particular school was attacked because it was a girls' school.

There's a lot of cases of radical Muslims trying to set up Taliban-like states in Africa. Last year, they tried to do the same to Mali, which is not far from Nigeria.

ETA: Brandon Darby from Breitbart said this in a tweet: "Please remind the Islamists in Nigeria that theirs is a "religion of peace?" They must've missed the memo"

How can someone have so much hatred in their hearts to actually carry out a mission like this?

I'm going to have to agree with Jive on this. If a group like this were united by any other ideology than religion, everyone would be ready to condemn the ideology. However, I think society has taught us that religion is somehow distinct from any other form of ideology, and therefore must be treated with kid gloves.

I'm going to have to agree with Jive on this. If a group like this were united by any other ideology than religion, everyone would be ready to condemn the ideology. However, I think society has taught us that religion is somehow distinct from any other form of ideology, and therefore must be treated with kid gloves.

I don't buy that. If that group was a radical right wing republican/far left group, you wouldn't see people condemning conservatism/liberalism as a whole - and those who did solely based on the actions of, yes, a fringe element, would be wrong.

I don't buy that. If that group was a radical right wing republican/far left group, you wouldn't see people condemning conservatism/liberalism as a whole - and those who did solely based on the actions of, yes, a fringe element, would be wrong.

That comparison isn't fair, though. The only way it would be fair would be if conservatism/liberalism actually called for such acts of terror, and those who didn't engage in such acts were simply glossing over that part of the dogma.

"Radical" Islamists aren't committing acts of terror because they're straying from the core tenets of their faith; they're committing such atrocities because they hold on to the core tenets of their faith too tightly.

If, in order to practice an ideology peacefully, one must ignore parts of the ideology, then perhaps the ideology is harmful in and of itself.

:sigh: Wow.

I don't think it's religion that is to blame. These insane lunatics just use religion as an excuse to do whatever they deem 'necessary' to achieve their goal.

To a certain degree this is true. But I do see people use the antics of the Westboro Baptist Church as a reason to hate all Christians.

I thought Pearl did a very good job of framing this article as the work of Islamists and radical Muslims, and not the work of all Muslims worldwide.

What is the best way to address this very active, violent fringe?

I thought Pearl did a very good job of framing this article as the work of Islamists and radical Muslims, and not the work of all Muslims worldwide.

What is the best way to address this very active, violent fringe?

Education.

Setting up a proper education system in those poor, remote areas is a whole other matter, though.

Education.

Setting up a proper education system in those poor, remote areas is a whole other matter, though.

The Islamist and extreme Muslim leaders are often well educated. These incidents do not arise from people emerging from caves with C4 strapped to their chests.

SECULAR education. When you say many are well educated - we are not typically talking about Oxford and Harvard. Little kids going through madrassas and other faith-based schools is a huge issue.

To a certain degree this is true. But I do see people use the antics of the Westboro Baptist Church as a reason to hate all Christians.

I find it interesting that people use a congregation of about 40 people as the functional equivalent of Islamism - the size and death toll of both groups are no where near equivalent.

And, just to be clear, I condemn the actions of Westboro just like the rest of you.

SECULAR education. When you say many are well educated - we are not typically talking about Oxford and Harvard. Little kids going through madrassas and other faith-based schools is a huge issue.

It is, but in places like Saudi Arabia, you can't expect a secular education there. Not when it prides itself as the birthplace of Islam. It is going to a lot, almost generations, to get Muslim countries to shake off their theocratic politics and faith-based education. And I think you need to give those kinds of Muslims a reason to think secularism is a better route, because they see it as Western colonialism being critical of their religion and culture.

Diemen said:
Um... yes? Not to rehash the whole argument, but I'm pretty sure most Muslims aren't cool with this.

It's clearly bigger than a fringe. This stuff happens all the time. You know how I feel about Christianity, but when was the last time a group of Christians got together for this sort of thing?

Diemen said:

if. It never happens. That's the point.

Caleb8844 said:
That comparison isn't fair, though. The only way it would be fair would be if conservatism/liberalism actually called for such acts of terror, and those who didn't engage in such acts were simply glossing over that part of the dogma.

"Radical" Islamists aren't committing acts of terror because they're straying from the core tenets of their faith; they're committing such atrocities because they hold on to the core tenets of their faith too tightly.

If, in order to practice an ideology peacefully, one must ignore parts of the ideology, then perhaps the ideology is harmful in and of itself.

:up:

I find it interesting that people use a congregation of about 40 people as the functional equivalent of Islamism - the size and death toll of both groups are no where near equivalent.

And, just to be clear, I condemn the actions of Westboro just like the rest of you.

Not to mention, the WBC are just assholes who picked funerals and act like dickheads. If that's the equivalent people bring up, that says a lot

Some of the best schools in America are Catholic - and those schools aren't churning out suicide bombers. I don't think "faith-based" schools are necessarily to blame, but what is being taught in those faith-based schools.

It's clearly bigger than a fringe. This stuff happens all the time. You know how I feel about Christianity, but when was the last time a group of Christians got together for this sort of thing?

About a thousand years ago...

About a thousand years ago...

Right. I would never argue that Christianity doesn't have a bloody past. And it certainly has its problems today. But at this point in its history, Islam has a serious violence issue

Some of the best schools in America are Catholic - and those schools aren't churning out suicide bombers. I don't think "faith-based" schools are necessarily to blame, but what is being taught in those faith-based schools.
Catholic American schools are different from religious schools abroad.

Taking the kid gloves off religion means being able to differentiate between Catholic American schools and madrases in the Middle East.

This is only slightly related, but....

"Soccer referee decapitated after stabbing player to death in Brazil"

SAO PAULO (AP) — Police say enraged spectators invaded a football field, stoned the referee to death and quartered his body after he stabbed a player to death.

The Public Safety Department of the state of Maranhao says in a statement that it all started when referee Otavio da Silva expelled player Josenir Abreu from a game last weekend. The two got into a fist fight, then Silva took out a knife and stabbed Abreu, who died on his way to the hospital.

The statement issued this week says Abreu's friends and relatives immediately "rushed into the field, stoned the referee to death and quartered his body."

Local news media say the spectators also decapitated Silva and stuck his head on a stake in the middle of the field.

Police have arrested one suspect.

What the fuck did I just read

55569d1365197413-pt709-ejector-misaligned-anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

Back
Top Bottom