Did She Ask For It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All being said there are so many male athletes who are great guys and gentlemen who would never have done what the Jets are alleged to have done. I haven't read about any of their comments or tweets or whatever speaking out about this-not that they have to but it would be nice.

TMZ doesn't exist so that they can show celebs doing nice things. it exists because people want to watch gossip.

it's the same thing here... clinton portis is a fool who dresses up in costumes for press conferences, but he's the one who's out there as the example of the average player in the NFL, because that's what sells.

TMZ doesn't exist so that they can show celebs doing nice things. it exists because people want to watch gossip.

it's the same thing here... clinton portis is a fool who dresses up in costumes for press conferences, but he's the one who's out there as the example of the average player in the NFL, because that's what sells.

I understand that obviously-but Twitter is there for everyone equally, whether it gets reported or not. Maybe some athletes have spoken out about it in a non Clinton Portis way. I'm not on Twitter at all so I don't know and I haven't had time to look online.

I only brought Erin up because Christine Brennan basically said that the outfits she wore on DWTS were somehow tied in to some sort of image that she has projected in her sports coverage that led to that stalking situation. Don't remember the exact quotes and my memory is fuzzy about it. How Erin looks on ESPN or DTWS has zero to do with that awful violation and that's a disgusting insinuation. Elisabeth Hasselbeck came right out and said that the guy who stalked her could have seen it "for free" on DWTS without doing what he did :| I'd never use her as an example of the average woman's opinion or thoughts or whatever you want to call it-but she did say it on The View and Erin did say she was really hurt by it and EH is a woman.

Inez in Erin's stalking situation, I feel exactly the same way. That is a different thing- I'm not comparing or equating it to the Jets situation in any way shape or form. Just saying that women can be just as unfair to other women as far as judgments of that sort.

i wouldn't even categorize what she does with what the erin andrews of the world do. erin andrews may play the role of "sexy female reporter," but she is a reporter and does ask serious questions. she at least has a level of journalistic integrity about her.

that is what seperates her from this situation.

that is what seperates her from this situation.

I'm not nitpicking but how exactly do you mean that? Just looking for some more :)

What separates her still has nothing to do with harassment or making anyone less guilty of it, making anyone more "susceptible" to it. Not saying you were implying that but I was just asking you to add to what you said.

Like I said before I only brought her up because of what the women said. But I did see a show where they showed a football player running up behind Erin and making some lewd gesture, I believe it was NFL. The show was talking about the Jets situation but they did show that , caught on camera during a game.

I only brought Erin up because Christine Brennan basically said that the outfits she wore on DWTS were somehow tied in to some sort of image that she has projected in her sports coverage that led to that stalking situation.

the irony is that brennan, after making those comments about andrews, is now one of the biggest defenders of sainz.

the irony is that brennan, after making those comments about andrews, is now one of the biggest defenders of sainz.

I haven't read what she said about Inez but she has essentially painted herself into a corner after what she said about Erin and the justifiable backlash that followed that. What happened to Erin was a horrible crime, and NO ONE encourages a nutcase to drill a hole in their hotel room door. Nutcases like him have the sole responsibility for that.

http://deadspin.com/5323960/christine-brennan-continues-her-erin-andrews-smarm-offensive

USA Today's Christine Brennan went on Howard Kurtz's unctuous TV show yesterday and explained away her underminey Erin Andrews comments, emphasizing that she has "always been concerned about Erin" and somehow outstripping all her male colleagues in patrician superciliousness.

Improbably, Brennan has emerged as the media's most obnoxious commentator on the Erin Andrews saga, outdoing even Mariotti and Whitlock. First, she came dangerously close to saying Andrews was asking for it, telling one sports radio show:

"If you trade off your sex appeal, if you trade off your looks, eventually you're going to lose those. She doesn't deserve what happened to her, but part of the shtick, seems to me, is being a little bit out there in a way that then are you encouraging the complete nutcase to drill a hole in your room."

Then Brennan went on Kurtz's Reliable Sources yesterday to shake her head gravely and say "poor Erin Andrews" over and over. She claimed the above quote was taken out of context.

There's a soundbite there that's missing, Howie. I said, I want to have a long career. I was talking about myself. That was taken out of those clips. ... The first part of that, I was talking about myself, and that was taken out of the clip.

Then she talked about herself some more:

I've done this, as you know, for 28 years, and I talked, for example, in the interview how when I covered the Washington Redskins for the Washington Post, and if I said hello or gave a quick little hug to, say, a sportscaster who's a friend of mine, all the Redskins would talk to him about [was] was he dating me? So, what I said in a very, very kind way, very concerned about Erin — I've always been very concerned about Erin in this — I was talking about the pitfalls and the problems in this country today for women in sports media.

And then some more (this in the context of the Ben Roethlisberger sexual assault allegations and the media's naming of his accuser):

Yes, it troubles me. But after the week I've had, and I think of poor Erin Andrews, this is a whole different world, Howie, and what does it say about journalism in the 21st century?

Poor Christine Brennan. It seems she's found herself inside the media wringer for once and doesn't much like it. I have a hard time mustering much sympathy, though. She was clearly asking for this.

Erin Andrews Nude Video Peep Pictures, ESPN Cuts New York Post - ABC News

"Erin [Andrews] did not deserve this. I want to make that crystal clear. But she's got to be smarter and better," she said.

She later tweeted that "women sports journalists need to be smart and not play to the frat house."

I fail to see how any of that can have any relevance to what that guy did to Erin Andrews in any possible way. Blaming crime victims for the acts of criminals is not acceptable. If Erin Andrews didn't go on DWTS and wear the outfits she wore and she wasn't attractive then she's a more acceptable crime victim somehow? Playing to the frat house, whatever that entails, has zero relevance to what happened to Erin. Erin just should have been smarter and better.

I'm not nitpicking but how exactly do you mean that? Just looking for some more :)

Erin Andrews (when reporting) asks serious questions and is taken seriously by athletes and coaches alike. She is a smart women who went to school for this occupation and worked hard to get her job. Did her good looks help? Yeah.

The Mexican woman is much more an entertainment gooroo looking for attention and ratings as opposed to news/info.

Act like a team of douchebags, get treated like a team of douchebags.

Dress like a floozie, get treated like a floozie.

IMHO, they all deserve each other.

Just to add what some have said, the way the players acted is beyond inapproprite, however, it does bother me that she doesn't think any of this was brought on by her choice of attire.

I've watched women like Pat Oliver report from the sidelines since I was a teen and though very pretty, she carries herself as serious from the sidelines. Yes it's football but ALL of the broadcasters wear suits, men and women.

I work in an office but I'd never wear my "we be clubbing" clothes to work. If I did that wouldn't give anyone the legal right to harass or assault me but I shouldn't be shocked by the extra attention.

Again I'm not excusing the guys but I just can't defend her completely on this one.

I still dont understand how some people can have such a strong opinion about something that affects them in no way whatsoever. Why does it matter to you so much that reporters are in the dressing room??? Who cares if its a hold over from a bygone era? How does that impact your lives in any way? NFL players are big boys and can speak for themselves. Is there any outrage from players? If not, why make it a concern of yours? It just blows my mind that people can have such strong opinions on other people's business.

-This isnt directed at anyone in particular. I've read the same thing several times and cant wrap my head around it. But feel free to respond if you fall into this category. Maybe I'm missing something

Her job is cheerleader sports journalist for a gossip/entertainment news show. Her outfits and sexy approach are entirely appropriate for her job.

The coaches and players were out of line. Period.

I do have an issue with her though, and it isn't her job or how she dresses for it. It was the bullshit claim about being uncomfortable with the attention she was getting - to get more attention. Based on her years in the industry and cheerleader approach, I categorically don't believe that she was offended or embarrassed by events in that locker room.

If there is anything that infuriates me as much as the crudeness of a dumb jock, it's the false modesty of the self-titled "hottest sports reporter in Mexico" to get herself onto the morning show circuit.

It reminds me of Sarah Palin's bait-and-switch media manipulation.

And take it down the line and it makes me think of women who have consensual sex then claim rape. It's an egregious insult to real victims.

And to answer Pearl's question in the OP, it's a contributor to the view that female sexuality is dangerous and therefore it shouldn't be expressed.

So how "modest" does a woman have to be to be a "real" victim of sexual harassment? Where do you draw a line?

As a legitimate journalist I'm not fond of the current infotainment trend, but I would never, ever, ever say a woman is asking for men to treat her disrespectully just because she works for a less-than-serious news organization and is expected to project a sexy image as part of her job. Media jobs of any kind are extremely difficult to come by these days.

Indeed. And it is annoying that it seems nowadays women are expected to either be pretty OR smart when they're on TV, there's no way they can possibly be both (shocking idea, I know).

Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett went on a long rant about the situation via twitter, saying all he can do is laugh at her.

"All I can do is LOL at the jets Female Reporter! She walks into a locker room full of men and think some one not gonna say nothing LMFAO," he said. "I don't know what was said to her or whatever but u just have to know u going into a TEAM LOCKEROOM, and if its that serious WOMEN STAY OUT!" He even tweeted a picture of the reporter, writing, "Now why would u wear this!!! IM DONE!!"

Ahahaha. Aha, aha, ha, ha...

...yeah, that's not funny :|. Idiot.

It just amazes me that nobody in this situation seems to want to act like adults. A few crude catcalls from some immature guys does not harrassment make, and guys, come on, grow up. It's a girl, okay? You can find her attractive all you please, you can think whatever you want to think about her and trade some good-humored remarks back and forth with your buddies and such, but for god's sake, learn some class.

Angela

I still dont understand how some people can have such a strong opinion about something that affects them in no way whatsoever. Why does it matter to you so much that reporters are in the dressing room??? Who cares if its a hold over from a bygone era? How does that impact your lives in any way? NFL players are big boys and can speak for themselves. Is there any outrage from players? If not, why make it a concern of yours? It just blows my mind that people can have such strong opinions on other people's business.

-This isnt directed at anyone in particular. I've read the same thing several times and cant wrap my head around it. But feel free to respond if you fall into this category. Maybe I'm missing something

why do you have such a strong opinion on why people have such a strong opinion on this?

isn't that the point of this section of the forum? to discuss ideas and, oh i dunno, share one's opinions? maybe i'm missing something...

I thought that was the point too. People go on and on in other sections of this forum about things that should have no direct impact on them-but they act as if it does for whatever reason :shrug: As a female and as a fan of sports, it affects me. I'm not a naive fool but I also don't want to know that these same guys are treating women in such a way when they're at work. What they do off the field is bad enough in some cases-even though I'm just interested in what they do on the field if they're doing disgusting sexist things or worse then I'm offended by that. And the issue of sexual harassment affects me directly as a female. This is just one example of it and of the attitudes that some people still have so that alone makes it worth discussing. It's a microcosm of a much bigger situation, so at a certain point it's not just about the Jets.

Dress like a floozie, get treated like a floozie.

So if women don't dress like a "floozie" they won't get harassed? I have had things yelled out at me from car windows when I'm wearing my usual jeans and a football shirt that covers almost all the way down to my knees. No cleavage bared-there isn't any to bare. Try putting up with that when all you're trying to do is walk for exercise. Maybe I should walk in a burqa. Because these guys just can't control themselves, and I'm walking on a public street so what should I expect?

I don't care what she wears or how many biceps she measures, etc-what they did is still a form of harassment. They're grown men capable of treating all women in the right way. They can control themselves when the situation warrants-what they say in private, well that's up to them to deal with. Like I said before, if men don't think men can control themselves when the situation warrants then they don't have a very high opinion of their own gender.

Are the NFL cheerleaders "floozies"? They're exposing much more than she was every time they're on the sidelines. That's their job that they're getting paid for-should the players cat call them, say whatever was said to that woman, throw footballs intentionally in their direction? Should the coach, if he really participated in that?

why do you have such a strong opinion on why people have such a strong opinion on this?

isn't that the point of this section of the forum? to discuss ideas and, oh i dunno, share one's opinions? maybe i'm missing something...

It annoys me to be perfectly honest. It's got nothing to do with having an opinion and everything to do with minding your own business. It's like the old lady that lives down the street who makes every neighbour's business her own. Seeing as how it's not even the issue at hand in this thread and is such a minor detail , I'm surprised how many times it's come up. It's not a big deal in the least, yet people seem to be so passionate about it. If you'd like to really answer the question, that would be awesome :up::up::up::up:

The most unfortunate thing about this entire saga is that Joe Namath wasn't attending Jets practice on the day of the incident.

image009.jpg

It annoys me to be perfectly honest. It's got nothing to do with having an opinion and everything to do with minding your own business. It's like the old lady that lives down the street who makes every neighbour's business her own. Seeing as how it's not even the issue at hand in this thread and is such a minor detail , I'm surprised how many times it's come up. It's not a big deal in the least, yet people seem to be so passionate about it. If you'd like to really answer the question, that would be awesome :up::up::up::up:

i brought it up in my posts because if separate interview/debrief areas away from the locker rooms is good enough for sporting leagues much smaller than the nfl, why not the nfl as well?

but you weren't directing your post at me, but i felt like clarifying my position anyway.

i brought it up in my posts because if separate interview/debrief areas away from the locker rooms is good enough for sporting leagues much smaller than the nfl, why not the nfl as well?

but you weren't directing your post at me, but i felt like clarifying my position anyway.

It was a general question, so I appreciate an actual answer :) And that's a fair enough point

I guess my point is, if they do conduct locker room interviews, how does that change anything for you? How does that affect anything for anyone but the people involved (players, journalists)? If the players and journalists arent complaining (or at the very least, see it as necessary and part of their jobs), then why should anyone else care? Sure, we're here to share opinions, but opinion for opinion's sake is a shitty reason to be having a conversation.

So if women don't dress like a "floozie" they won't get harassed?

Not at all. I think you missed the first part of my post. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. The players should take responsibility for their actions. So should she. As others have posted on this board, by playing up the sexual part of her job (measuring biceps, riding around on players' shoulders, conducting interviews in cleavage revealing outfits), she has actually made it harder for legitimate female sports reporters to be taken seriously.

And I do think that this woman complaining about harassment actually waters down the experiences of women who have actually been legitimately harassed (by that I mean being on the receiving end of unsolicited, unmotivated sexual comments and innuendo), such as yourself.

She wants attention. They're idiots. Stupid is as stupid does.

I find it interesting(actually hypocritical) that there is so much discussion about her clothes.

She's in a locker room, the men are half naked, why wasn't she harassing them?

and if you don't care, why does it annoy you so much that you need to respond to it by sharing your not caring?

Are you going to post something worth while?

I dont care about where they conduct interviews, I do care that people cant seem to butt out of other people's business. I'm wondering if there is a valid reason for caring so much about locker room interviews. I'm not the one who brought it up. Feel free to answer or to post another retarded response

Not at all. I think you missed the first part of my post. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. The players should take responsibility for their actions. So should she. As others have posted on this board, by playing up the sexual part of her job (measuring biceps, riding around on players' shoulders, conducting interviews in cleavage revealing outfits), she has actually made it harder for legitimate female sports reporters to be taken seriously.

And I do think that this woman complaining about harassment actually waters down the experiences of women who have actually been legitimately harassed (by that I mean being on the receiving end of unsolicited, unmotivated sexual comments and innuendo), such as yourself.

She wants attention. They're idiots. Stupid is as stupid does.

The reason she doesn't share the same personal responsibility as the players is showing a little cleavage does no harm to anyone, but sexual harrasment does. And if someone takes me less seriously as a journalist because of what some other woman does, that person is a sexist ass and wouldn't take me seriously anyway.

Are you going to post something worth while?

I dont care about where they conduct interviews, I do care that people cant seem to butt out of other people's business. I'm wondering if there is a valid reason for caring so much about locker room interviews. I'm not the one who brought it up. Feel free to answer or to post another retarded response

Cute.

the entire issue at hand with this topic is the behavior of football players with a reporter in the locker room. If you can't grasp why the issue of whether our not there should be interviews done in the locker room at all is part of this particular issue then I really have nothing else to say.

Back
Top Bottom