Dialect map quiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that kind of reminds me how sometimes i can pick up little elements of someone else's accents if i talk to them. i mean, nothing major, i won't suddenly start speaking with a fake english accent or something, i'll just notice during a conversation i'll say a vowel the way they do or something. i've always called it accent velcro.

Charlotte and a few other people I know say they do that too. Everyone I know who's worked in a shop on Auckland's North Shore has said that after a day of serving lots of people from the North Shore's large South African community they've come to pick up a South African accent. That sort of thing has never happened to me unless I've been visiting a place for a lengthy time, and even then only on the most obvious words - e.g. after a month in the States I started saying the American pronunciation of "garage" rather than "gariddge".

as for coming up with a list of words, in addition to crayon, poem, and dance/chance, one can just plagiate from the quiz:
caramel, been, lawyer, mayonnaise, coupon, route, pyjamas, pecan pie (the way i say it wasn't even on there), syrup, mary/merry/marry*, cot/caught*, herb, dew, aunt...there's a lot here: Dialect Survey Results (only about the first half is pronunciations while the second half is more grammar, but it's still a lot)

*i know of more mergers should anyone find that of any interest: father/bother, lot/cloth, foot/goose, pin/pen, toe/tow, line/loin, coil/curl, mare/mayor, taut/taught, trap/bath, wine/whine

I'm rather tempted to record this. Though I'm honestly not sure I've ever said "pecan pie" out loud.

Share/shear/sheer and beer/bear/bare are other good ones. I understand in a traditional Kiwi accent all three merge. I think I blur them sometimes and not others. My pronunciation of "beer" definitely changes from one time to another.

(Though other factors may be at play there. :wink: )

that kind of reminds me how sometimes i can pick up little elements of someone else's accents if i talk to them. i mean, nothing major, i won't suddenly start speaking with a fake english accent or something, i'll just notice during a conversation i'll say a vowel the way they do or something. i've always called it accent velcro.

as for coming up with a list of words, in addition to crayon, poem, and dance/chance, one can just plagiate from the quiz:
caramel, been, lawyer, mayonnaise, coupon, route, pyjamas, pecan pie (the way i say it wasn't even on there), syrup, mary/merry/marry*, cot/caught*, herb, dew, aunt...there's a lot here: Dialect Survey Results (only about the first half is pronunciations while the second half is more grammar, but it's still a lot)

*i know of more mergers should anyone find that of any interest: father/bother, lot/cloth, foot/goose, pin/pen, toe/tow, line/loin, coil/curl, mare/mayor, taut/taught, trap/bath, wine/whine

Ca(as in cat)-ra(as in Sun Ra)-mel
Been(as in Mr Bean)
Loy(as in toy)-er
May-yo-nayz (we just call it mayo)
Coo-pon
Root(as in toot)
P-jah-mehs
Pee-can pie
Sihhhh-rup(as in rupture)
Merr-ree, Meh-ree, Mah-ree
Cot, cort
Her-b(u)h
Jew (sometimes due(as in Dewey))
Same as 'Aren't'

caramel - ca ra mel
been - bin
lawyer - loy er
mayonnaise - mayo nayz
coupon - coo pon
route - root e(though the e is nearly silent)
pyjamas - pee jam as
pecan pie - pee can pie (I know lots of people say pecahn)
Syrup - sy (as in psyduck) - rup
mehry, merry, mahrry
cot, coht
herb - herb, just that lol
dew - due
aunt - awnt

Keh ruh mel
Ben
Loy err
Mayo nayz
Coo pon
Rowt
Puh jawm uhz
Pecawn pie
Sear up
Meh ry sounds the same across all three
Cot, cawt
Erb
Dew
Awnt, unless I'm tacking it on to the beginning of a proper name, in which case ant

Last edited:
Pretty much right on the money, except like most people the map quiz doesn't know enough about the subject to distinguish Boston and Worcester from real Northern New Englanders. Around here a poem is usually pronouced pome, a crayon is cray-on, and most importantly a long sandwich is an italian. One thing this thing didn't touch on is letter drops: it's common to all of New England to drop Rs (fuhgut the keys to my cah) but here we also add them after an A sound (had a great idear about the pahty.) We also have some of those Aussie things like can't be bothered (or bohthid, really) and what a beaut. Maybe because of both being settled by the English?

... most importantly a long sandwich is an italian.

Oh yeah I forgot about this one - it didn't have what I called them: a filled roll. If I get it from Subway, then I'll call it a sub, but otherwise it's a filled roll, especially if it's cut open at the top rather than the side.

One thing this thing didn't touch on is letter drops: it's common to all of New England to drop Rs (fuhgut the keys to my cah)

I've always described the Aussie/Kiwi form of this as a soft 'r', but I can see how it sounds like simply dropping the 'r'. I drop vowels all the time, e.g. Queensland is Kweens-l'nd, Melbourne is Mel-b'n, Wellington is Well-ing-t'n, etc.

Pretty much right on the money, except like most people the map quiz doesn't know enough about the subject to distinguish Boston and Worcester from real Northern New Englanders. Around here a poem is usually pronouced pome, a crayon is cray-on, and most importantly a long sandwich is an italian.

And then people like you forget there is New England west of Worcester. Around here it's definitely a grinder.

:wink:

Charlotte and a few other people I know say they do that too. Everyone I know who's worked in a shop on Auckland's North Shore has said that after a day of serving lots of people from the North Shore's large South African community they've come to pick up a South African accent. That sort of thing has never happened to me unless I've been visiting a place for a lengthy time, and even then only on the most obvious words - e.g. after a month in the States I started saying the American pronunciation of "garage" rather than "gariddge".
ahh, right. though i should add that for me any changes only happen while i'm talking to that person. as soon as the conversation's over, i go back to talking normally. i guess i'm subconsciously trying to fit in or something.

I'm rather tempted to record this. Though I'm honestly not sure I've ever said "pecan pie" out loud.

Share/shear/sheer and beer/bear/bare are other good ones. I understand in a traditional Kiwi accent all three merge. I think I blur them sometimes and not others. My pronunciation of "beer" definitely changes from one time to another.

(Though other factors may be at play there. :wink: )
i did, damnit. my voice isn't normally this husky because i'm sick, though: https://soundcloud.com/dizrythmia/my-voice-dialect-crap

even i don't say pecan pie (or pecan) very much, and it's super popular here. it's gross.

And then people like you forget there is New England west of Worcester. Around here it's definitely a grinder.

That's because Massachusetts is not really New England. :wink: They say in school that there are 6 states in New England but those of us up here know there isn't. There are three: Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. :sexywink:

Oh yeah I forgot about this one - it didn't have what I called them: a filled roll. If I get it from Subway, then I'll call it a sub, but otherwise it's a filled roll, especially if it's cut open at the top rather than the side.

I've always described the Aussie/Kiwi form of this as a soft 'r', but I can see how it sounds like simply dropping the 'r'. I drop vowels all the time, e.g. Queensland is Kweens-l'nd, Melbourne is Mel-b'n, Wellington is Well-ing-t'n, etc.

Cut open at the top??? What sorcery is this? :lol:

For me I'd call it a baguette(well the Dutch word for it but stokbrood was obv not on the list). I have been to France a lot as a kid, first word you learn lol. If it's from Subway it's a sub indeed, I'm not entirely sure what an Italian is, though I would assume that comes from a panini. Which is basically a baguette but flattened and grilled.

That's because Massachusetts is not really New England. :wink: They say in school that there are 6 states in New England but those of us up here know there isn't. There are three: Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. :sexywink:

Actually I'm pretty sure you're all secretly Canadian.

6a014e87574ac9970d01901b79b414970b-800wi

Right after I posted that I thought wait, isn't that a record label or something?

I'd like to know how a lot Americans pronounce "aunt" as "ant", while many other English speakers pronounce it as it is spelled. Seriously, where did so many of us start to think the "u" does not exist?

I've always pronounced it "ant," but I have no idea why - I mean, I know people from the same area who say "aunt," so I don't know where the variation came from.

For some odd reason, my dad adds a T to the end of "cousin." Cousint. :huh:

I'd like to know how a lot Americans pronounce "aunt" as "ant", while many other English speakers pronounce it as it is spelled. Seriously, where did so many of us start to think the "u" does not exist?

Favourite, Colour, flavour..... need I go on? :wink:

Crick/creek?

Crick was a thing when I lived in MD/WV. Thankfully, it's been creek ever since. I've never understood why anyone would call a small, flowing body of water a crick. It's not something that can be treated with heat and massage.

In reading up on this, apparently in other places the words Mary, marry and merry all sound the same. They are all different words, gang, I hate to break it to you.

I listened to Khan's jawn and it sounds like, if hers is what you are saying is the norm, you are all pronouncing it like the name Mary.

Gonna have to record something to school you fools.

Back
Top Bottom