Dialect map quiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never knew that mischief night was a Philly thing. I always thought it was everywhere.

I knew Devil's Night would light up bright red in Michigan, though I'd never heard of the word until a few months ago. It was in an episode of... Cold Case? I think. Some people from Detroit wanting to put an end to Devil's Night mischief... No, wait now I'm pretty sure it was some movie I watched...

Edit: oh duh, it was The Crow. :doh:

Oh no, I've never heard of that.

The Philly things on these types of quizzes are usually obvious shit I already knew (i.e. hoagies), but this one map floored me:

mischief-night-map.png

I never knew that mischief night was a Philly thing. I always thought it was everywhere.

We always called it Cabbage Night.

that is news to me

but makes sense since the company that provided their Automatic Teller Machines was named TYME.

TYME ("Take Your Money Everywhere") is an ATM/interbank network in Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It was organized in 1975 and was the first shared EFT network in the country. Residents commonly referred to ATMs as a "Tyme machine," which has resulted in confusion when Wisconsinites visiting unfamiliar areas would ask the locals where they could find a "time machine".
The TYME network merged with the Pulse network in 2002, and took the Pulse brand name in 2004. The combined Pulse/TYME network includes about 81,000 ATMs and 457,000 merchant point-of-sale locations.

"Dawn" is a longer vowel in my accent, thanks to the "w"; it rhymes with "corn" or "fawn". I form a bigger vowel than I do for the second syllable of "crayon", which is fairly soft.

Wait, "corn" rhymes with "fawn"?

What a bizarre world this Australia place must be. :wink:

Cran like cranberry.

This is messing with my head even more than the fact Americans don't say "poem" with two syllables.

Also, this silly article popped up on my Facebook feed: 13 Aussie Phrases Americans Should Start Using | Thought Catalog

I find it very hard to believe that the phrase "can't be bothered" does not exist in the States. Also, #5 is wrong. The usual definition of "to suss something out" in my experience is essentially analagous to "figure something out", e.g. "I was confused at first, but then I sussed it out".

The phrase can't be bothered is used pretty regularly here. No worries to a degree as well, although I'm suspicious it may have infiltrated my vernacular after hearing it many times at work--the guy from New Zealand says it all the time.

Not a bad list, that, Ax. I'd add "rock up". And "suss it out" is definitely wrong. It's analogous with "check it out". (Although "suss" on its own is short for suspicious.)

Is "rock up" particularly Australian? I'd have thought that was more universal. And yeah, "that's pretty suss" is totally different to "suss it out".

Oh, I remember an American once telling me that either "how are you doing?" or "how are you going?" (I forget which one) is not said in the States. Can FYM's Americans clarify, or was this person talking out of their arse?

It's funny how "how are you going" (which becomes "how ya gahhn") is both a perfectly acceptable question and answer here.

"How ya goin?"
"Yeah how ya goin."

It's funny how "how are you going" (which becomes "how ya gahhn") is both a perfectly acceptable question and answer here.

"How ya goin?"
"Yeah how ya goin."

I would take that literally to mean what is your mode of transportation, however I suspect it means something else? Like how's it going? How are you doing?

I would take that literally to mean what is your mode of transportation, however I suspect it means something else? Like how's it going? How are you doing?

"How are you", "how's it going", "how's life", etc. are all synonymous really. I think we have pretty much a thousand different ways to ask somebody how they are, to which - as Cobbler notes - it is perfectly acceptable to reply with exactly the same phrase, just with "yeah" at the start.

Frosting and Icing refer to separate things
i answered that too :kiss:
frosting's far thicker and what most people think of when you think of what goes on a cake, like buttercream, etc. icing is thinner, e.g. royal icing. i got used to calling them those because those are the culinary definitions of the two afaik. so if i heard cake with icing, i'd assume it would have a thin glaze on it and wouldn't be expecting, say, chocolate buttercream, much like i'd give someone a weird look if they said they were frosting their cinnamon rolls.

i took it again and got baltimore/dc. at least that makes sense as my parents are from that area. i'm sure as hell never going to get memphis (i've fought tooth and nail to not get a memphis accent and i don't say a lot of the terms memphians do), and orlando, where i grew up? i don't even know what that would be. an amalgamation of everywhere else, i guess.

Rhymes with "dawn," right? Yeah, that's how I say it as well.

I mean, that's how it's spelled.
yeah, that's how i say it. i had to stop and think as to whether i said it like "ahn" or "awn" but i definitely thought it rhymed with dawn the more i thought about it.

i love these kinds of surveys. this is a lot like a class i took last year, and i find all this stuff fascinating, how you can get 30 people in a room and they all might pronounce the same word differently.

that night before halloween question (i've seen it before in dialect quizzes) always intrigues me. i've only ever called it...october 30th.
rimshot.gif

Back
Top Bottom