Dialect map quiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really surprised to find that I got Fort Worth... I suppose it's because I use the word Y'all and said that I knew what a drive-in liquor store was :hmm:

Interesting that Fremont, CA was on there for me. Pretty sure my parents lived around there for years before we moved when I was three.

Ok, it screwed up on me the first time, second time I get Indiana, but DFW was still pretty hot in the map for me.

Holy shit - it placed me in southern Wisconsin/northern Illinois. That's scarily accurate. (My hometown is three hours away, in north-central Wisconsin.)

i got yonkers/newark/new york (it listed all three): http://nyti.ms/JRbKB0

i've...never been to new york or new jersey. that's hilarious. the map's making it look like my calling rubber-soled shoes sneakers is what pushed it over the top. i've stumbled across an incredibly in-depth dialect quiz but they took the damn thing offline and now all you can do is look at the questions and maps. you can't take the quiz. i hope they bring it back up because i love taking stuff like this, and that one also will place you to the city you live in based on the answers you give.

I was doing this quiz on my phone earlier, so I couldn't see the question-by-question heat map. I found it interesting to know that apparently I am the only person in the U.S. to say the following:

Frosting and Icing refer to separate things
I use both pronunciations of Caramel, but the two have separate meanings.
Not using the word Kitty-Corner and instead saying Diagonal.

I found the question about the highway interesting. We don't use the word freeway here, far as I know, but the way they differentiated between it and a highway made me long for the term "Interstate". That's what I would more accurately refer to a big road you drive fast on. Highways here are usually glorified backroads. Ah well.

I've taken the quiz a few times now, so that I could see all of the questions and I find it amusing that no matter how much it fluctuates between what my dialect is (between Texas, Chicago and Indiana), it's always exactly the same on what my accent is NOT: Boston.

I remember going to Washington DC when I was in high school and talking to someone for about 3 or 4 minutes. Afterwards he looked at me and told me I was from a northeast PA coal mining town. As far as I know, he didn't know anything about me. We weren't talking home or geography or anything that verbally would have clued him in. But he told me I dropped my T's, which is one of the characteristics of speech in those areas. Assume we aren't the only people who drop T's so there must have been some other clues. But of course, I don't think I have an accent.:D

The quiz gave me Philadelphia, which is about two hours from where I live and grew up.

This is funny to do as a European. I guess my accent is so mixed up, its must be hard to pinpoint.
I got : Yonkers/NYC . And randomly a bit of Aurora too.

Obviously I got Philadelphia, but I already knew I had a strong Philly dialect/accent/whatever.

My least similar came up as Boise, Idaho. Sure.

Mine ... New York

Well, the Dutch DID create New York Amsterdam. :wink:

The only question missing from the quiz was "what do you call the thing where you drink water from in a public place?"

But I suppose it could be a one-question quiz that way. "If you answered 'bubbler,' just close the quiz now. We know you're from Milwaukee."

Well, the Dutch DID create New York Amsterdam. :wink:

The only question missing from the quiz was "what do you call the thing where you drink water from in a public place?"

But I suppose it could be a one-question quiz that way. "If you answered 'bubbler,' just close the quiz now. We know you're from Milwaukee."

True dat :wink:

But I did get that question! I answered a water fountain, lol.

Isn't a bubbler a type of bong? Are you trying to use it to refer to a water fountain?

I thought you were the one who once referred to a water fountain as a water bubbler and absolutely blew my mind, was it Cori, then?

Oh no, I've never heard of that.

The Philly things on these types of quizzes are usually obvious shit I already knew (i.e. hoagies), but this one map floored me:

mischief-night-map.png

I never knew that mischief night was a Philly thing. I always thought it was everywhere.

...or parts of Australia. I learnt to call water fountains "bubblers" while I lived in Queensland, and since it hasn't fallen out of my vocabulary it confuses the shit out of everyone whenever I visit New Zealand.

As for the quiz, I think I confused it. I got Boston, New York, and some place I'd honestly never heard of, Pembroke Pines in Florida. Then again, even if the quiz accounted for Australian and Kiwi accents I'd confuse it, since mine is now a strange mixture of the two.

Also if I read the crayon question correctly, apparently nobody in the US pronounces "crayon" the way I do. Not "cray-ahn", not whatever the other options I've now forgotten were, just a simple straightforward "cray-on". You know, to rhyme with "on".

...or parts of Australia. I learnt to call water fountains "bubblers" while I lived in Queensland, and since it hasn't fallen out of my vocabulary it confuses the shit out of everyone whenever I visit New Zealand.

My brother from Down Under! :hi5:

Also if I read the crayon question correctly, apparently nobody in the US pronounces "crayon" the way I do. Not "cray-ahn", not whatever the other options I've now forgotten were, just a simple straightforward "cray-on". You know, to rhyme with "on".

Rhymes with "dawn," right? Yeah, that's how I say it as well.

I mean, that's how it's spelled.

Rhymes with "dawn," right? Yeah, that's how I say it as well.

I mean, that's how it's spelled.

No, rhymes with "on", short vowel sound. No "ah", "aw", or "ow"; "dawn" doesn't rhyme with "on" or "crayon" in my accent.

No, rhymes with "on", short vowel sound. No "ah", "aw", or "ow"; "dawn" doesn't rhyme with "on" or "crayon" in my accent.

OK, I follow. I suspect we do pronounce it the same way, as "dawn" and "on" do rhyme in my accent, though they're vocalized in slightly different parts of the mouth/throat ("dawn" further back than "on"). Otherwise, they're the same.

OK, I follow. I suspect we do pronounce it the same way, as "dawn" and "on" do rhyme in my accent, though they're vocalized in slightly different parts of the mouth/throat ("dawn" further back than "on"). Otherwise, they're the same.

"Dawn" is a longer vowel in my accent, thanks to the "w"; it rhymes with "corn" or "fawn". I form a bigger vowel than I do for the second syllable of "crayon", which is fairly soft.

In fact, I found a video that seems to be part of some accent video meme similar to this thread's test, and at 1:20 she says "crayon" the way I do: Regional Dialect Meme - New Zealand - YouTube

(She gets "route" wrong, but I'm on board with the rest of her pronunciations. Most Kiwis and Australians, in the context of "what route do I take?", say it the same as "root"; you do hear some people saying it the same as "rout", but that's less common. Oh, unless it's a router, the thing which helps you connect to the Internet, which is never said the same as "rooter"!)

Back
Top Bottom