Detained US journalist reportedly set free with Bill Clinton's help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeannieco

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay
This is fantastic news!! And the Clinton basher's, ahem..cough cough.. John Bolton in particular from the Bush admin, are already out there saying he shouldn't be negotiating with terrorists. Give me a break. I am not a BC fan, but I give him kudos for this!:up:

(CNN) -- North Korean President Kim Jong Il has pardoned and ordered the release of two U.S. journalists, state-run news agency KCNA said Wednesday.

President Clinton met Tuesday with North Korea leader Kim Jong Il.

1 of 3 The announcement came after former U.S. President Bill Clinton met with top North Korean officials in Pyongyang to appeal for the release of Laura Ling and Euna Lee, who had been arrested while reporting from the border between North Korea and China.

"Clinton expressed words of sincere apology to Kim Jong Il for the hostile acts committed by the two American journalists against the DPRK after illegally intruding into it," the news agency reported. "Clinton courteously conveyed to Kim Jong Il an earnest request of the U.S. government to leniently pardon them and send them back home from a humanitarian point of view.

"The meetings had candid and in-depth discussions on the pending issues between the DPRK and the U.S. in a sincere atmosphere and reached a consensus of views on seeking a negotiated settlement of them."

The report said Clinton then conveyed a message from President Obama "expressing profound thanks for this and reflecting views on ways of improving the relations between the two countries."

It added, "The measure taken to release the American journalists is a manifestation of the DPRK's humanitarian and peace-loving policy.

"The DPRK visit of Clinton and his party will contribute to deepening the understanding between the DPRK and the U.S. and building the bilateral confidence."

DPRK is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the nation's official name.

The two American journalists had been held in the reclusive communist nation since their arrest in March.

Earlier in the day, White House Secretary Robert Gibbs said Clinton was on a "solely private mission to secure the release of two Americans."

Ling and Lee are reporters for California-based Current TV -- a media venture launched by Clinton's former vice president, Al Gore.

The two were sentenced in June to 12 years in prison on charges of entering the country illegally to conduct a smear campaign. Since the United States has no diplomatic relations with North Korea, efforts to resolve the issue had been handled through Sweden, which represents U.S. interests in North Korea.

Don't Miss
Analysis: What North Korea wants
U.S. announces sanctions on North Korean corporation
North Korea seizes South Korean boat
The visit by the former president, whose wife, Hillary Clinton, is now the Obama administration's secretary of state, came about three weeks after the United States dropped a request that Ling and Lee be released on humanitarian grounds. Instead, the United States was seeking amnesty for the women, Hillary Clinton said. Watch what may lie behind the pick of Bill Clinton »

A plea for amnesty implies forgiveness for some offense, which could have given North Korea the chance to release the women without feeling that its legal system had been slighted, according to analyst Mike Chinoy, an Edgerton senior fellow on Asia at the Pacific Council on International Policy in Los Angeles.

Prior to the release, Chinoy said, "I suspect that it was made pretty clear in advance that Bill Clinton would be able to return with these two women, otherwise it would be a terrible loss of face for him."

Clinton's mission came as the United States and its allies in the region are seeking to push North Korea back into stalled nuclear disarmament talks. North Korea conducted a nuclear bomb test, its second, in May, and has conducted several missile tests since then. The United Nations responded to those tests by tightening and expanding sanctions on the nation.

North Korea and the United States were on opposite sides in the 1950-1953 Korean War and had no regular contacts before a 1994 crisis over North Korea's nuclear program. North Korea agreed at that time to halt the development of nuclear weapons, but abandoned that accord and withdrew from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in 2003.

Clinton had considered visiting North Korea in 2000, near the end of his second term as president. His secretary of state, Madeleine Albright, went to Pyongyang in early 2000 to meet with Kim.

The 67-year-old North Korean leader was widely reported to have suffered a stroke a year ago and is believed to be grooming his youngest son, Kim Jon Un, as his successor.

lisa-and-laura-ling-photo.jpg

It would be a crime to leave a Ling languishing in jail.

Clinton and Obama are more naturally conservative than the neo-cons, embodying the traditional conservative values of compromise and negotiation.

I am so happy for those two. I wonder if they'll give interviews telling about their experience in North Korea. It would be interesting to see if North Korea reacts badly to that.

This is such a great triumph in the midst of all the negativity going around right now and proves once again that diplomacy is always the highest and most effective way. Also, Bolton needs to STFU. Only in the Bush administration could that fool have been named a U.N. ambassador. He's about as respectful of the diplomatic process as Cheney.:rolleyes:

I saw the coverage this morning live when they got off the plane and Laura Ling made a statement. I cried like a baby...it was very moving.:sad:
She made a point of also thanking President Obama and Sec. Clinton for their hard work behind the scenes. :applaud:

This is such a great triumph in the midst of all the negativity going around right now and proves once again that diplomacy is always the highest and most effective way. Also, Bolton needs to STFU. Only in the Bush administration could that fool have been named a U.N. ambassador. He's about as respectful of the diplomatic process as Cheney.:rolleyes:

I agree with you that diplomacy is (almost) always the highest and most effective way.

Bolton and Cheney are not conservatives but opportunists that are essentially violent revolutionaries and also provably criminally corrupt.

still, though, a missed opportunity to invade.

this was a regime that actually posed a clear and present and grave and gathering danger to actual US citizens.

Obama missed the chance. :sigh:

A lot of folks were praying for this. Some friends were working one of the families in question. Glad to know all is well.

Props to Bill for slipping quietly off the plane and not calling attention to himself. This is a moment for the journalists and their families to celebrate.

I agree with you that diplomacy is (almost) always the highest and most effective way.

Bolton and Cheney are not conservatives but opportunists that are essentially violent revolutionaries and also provably criminally corrupt.

That is true. I know they're not conservatives in the accurate sense of the word, but according to U.S. politics over the last 40+ years, that's what conservative politics have become in the U.S., which you know. It's sad because even though I may disagree with most real conservative values/views, I can respect them; unlike this neoconservative nonsense that's taken over the Republican party in this country.

Back
Top Bottom