Democratic National Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nepotism is when someone is appointed or given a job because of friendship or family relationships.
There's a term occasionally used in political science, 'electoral nepotism' (not just with reference to the US), that might be more applicable here--and you're right, nepotism properly speaking does refer to appointed offices. 'Electoral nepotism' entails a diagnosis that it's become prohibitively difficult for 'outsiders' to successfully campaign for office at some or all levels of the polity in question, due to an inability to match the resources supplied by the support and fundraising networks available to candidates from established political families. (Sometimes 'dynasty' is also used to describe this--though that too is technically wrong, as dynasty properly refers to direct, uninterrupted 'inheritance' of some specific office). It's not per se an accusation that a given officeholder from an established political family is corrupt, or hasn't performed to the standards of the job; it means that there's a systematic pattern of such officeholders having enjoyed quantifiable campaign advantages that their competitors couldn't possibly match.

She could have said that Sen Obama walks on water and some would have jumped on her for not saying that he turns water into wine. I have to wonder what it would have been like if the tables were turned and he was making that speech last night.

Obama Speech Stage Resembles Ancient Greek Temple
Reuters

DENVER

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's big speech on Thursday night will be delivered from an elaborate columned stage resembling a miniature Greek temple.

The stage, similar to structures used for rock concerts, has been set up at the 50-yard-line, the midpoint of Invesco Field, the stadium where the Denver Broncos' National Football League team plays.

Some 80,000 supporters will see Obama appear from between plywood columns painted off-white, reminiscent of Washington's Capitol building or even the White House, to accept the party's nomination for president.

He will stride out to a raised platform to a podium that can be raised from beneath the floor.

The show should provide a striking image for the millions of Americans watching on television as Obama delivers a speech accepting the Democratic presidential nomination.

Politicians in past elections have typically spoken from the convention site itself, but the Obama campaign liked the idea of having their man speak to a larger, stadium-sized crowd not far from where the Democratic National Convention is being held, at the Denver pro basketball arena.

Obama was taking a page from the campaign book of John Kennedy in 1960 when the future president delivered his acceptance speech to 80,000 people in the Los Angeles Coliseum.

Once Obama speaks, confetti will rain down on him and fireworks will be fired off from locations around the stadium wall.

Democratic convention organizers said the theme for the evening is "Change We Can Believe In," which has been a consistent message of Obama's presidential campaign.

Oscar-winning actress and singer Jennifer Hudson will sing the national anthem that night.

August 26, 2008

Giuliani Visits Terrorism Exhibit Near Democratic Convention

(CBS)
From CBS News' Ryan Corsaro:

Rudy Giuliani made an appearance just around the corner from the Democratic National Convention in Denver today at a nearby exhibit on terrorist attacks.

“People forget...this is ongoing,” Giuliani said, referring to a threat of terrorist attacks in the United States and worldwide. “This is a museum about what is happening to us now, the present, and what will be happening to us in the future.”

Giuliani made the statements after touring the Center for Empowered Living and Learning this afternoon, where he saw an exhibition called "Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere: Understand the Threat of Terrorism."

He said that while “people would like to forget” the terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington in 2001 and London in 2005, he believes “that's the kind of thinking that got us into the problem into the first place.”

Giuliani turned down a question relating to the Democrats and terrorism while at the exhibition, saying, “This is not a political place, this is a bipartisan place. I have plenty of time a little later for political comment, but this isn't the place to do it.”

Pressed on the political significance of touring an exhibit on terrorism in Denver while the Democrats are holding their national convention this week, Giuliani told a reporter, “We’re going to deliver that message in a half hour at an appropriate place.”

The former mayor of New York City and candidate for president, who became an international figure after the events of 9/11, said the terrorism exhibition was “appropriate in Denver because Denver is at risk like any other city in America.”

In regards to the war on terror, Giuliani said, “We will prevail because we have the right ideas.”

You know the media is a sorry state of affairs when Charles Barkley's commentary makes the most sense of anyone's. I was watching his interviews yesterday and I thought "Damn, he's talking complete sense".

DENVER -- Retired NBA superstar and TNT color commentator Charles Barkley has arrived at the 2008 Democratic National Convention to support his friend Barack Obama. You can't miss him.

Barkley -- sometimes called The Round Mound of Rebound -- is known for leaning Republican. But times have changed. Barkley doesn't like what Republicans have done to the United States. "We're a country of haves and have-nots. America needs a new leader. Someone who can give poor people a chance," said the author of I May Be Wrong But I Doubt It.

Barkley is enthusiastically weaving through the convention floor, although he's not a delegate. "I just wanted to be here," he tells CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, the petite White House correspondent who had to scramble up on a step to conduct her interview with the 6' 6" basketball great. "I never thought in my lifetime we'd have a black man with a legitimate shot at becoming president. I want to make it clear that if I didn't think he could do the job, I wouldn't vote for him. I think Obama would make a fantastic president."

On whether or not Obama has enough foreign policy experience, Sir Charles had this to say: First of all, a president has tons of advisers. It ain't like a president gets to make every decision on his own. You have great advisers around you.

On whether or not Obama made a mistake not picking Hillary Clinton as his running mate, he said: I think there's a personality conflict between them, that's all.

The outspoken athlete with the notoriously bad golf swing says the big question is whether or not white voters will trust a black man. "Once you're inside that little voting booth, try and see Obama as a man, not a black man."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXQ5LJkE7lU

I must say, as a Republican, this convention is going wonderfully for us, for a number of reasons.

1) I just read an article on Drudge saying how some Clinton supporters are saying her speech didn't heal the wounds. And I just saw that 30% of Hillary supporters are going to vote for McCain or stay home. Thirty percent. That is unbelievable. That is a game changer, easy.

2) Plus, I just read that Bill won't be attending Obama's speech on Thursday. That will be a step backwards in uniting the party. And yesterday, he said this:

"Suppose for example you’re a voter and you have candidate X and you have candidate Y,” Clinton said. “Candidate X agrees with you on everything but you don’t think that person can deliver on anything. Candidate Y disagrees with you on half the issues but you believe that on the other half, the candidate will be able to deliver."

Obama supporters can't be happy with a statement like that.

3) Obama got NO bounce from his VP pick. None. If anything, he lost ground. Gallup had Obama up last week, then on Monday it was tied, and yesterday McCain was up by 2. Rasmussen also has McCain up by one today. Even CNN has them dead even.

4) I've heard very little mention of Bush or McCain so far. That could change tonight and tomorrow, but I expected every other word coming out of their mouths to be "Bush." They have done very little attacking so far, as James Carville pointed out earlier.

5) I think the polls start to matter slightly right about now, and right now they're extremely close. The RCP average has Obama up by only 1.6, and like I said, multiple polls have come out the past couple days with McCain ahead. Do convention bounces only come after the convention, not during? Shouldn't we be seeing, in the middle of the convention, at least a slight widening of the gap for Obama? With McCain's VP pick coming Friday and their convention next week, Obama needs to be up by at least half a dozen points on Friday or Monday or else they should be very worried.

If you are going to list people that use a family members name to help them get elected as an excuse to complain.

Than you should put Edward Kennedy and the whole Kennedy clan way ahead of Hillary for taking advantage of a family member's name.

deep, i wasn't complaining. i was stating a fact.

catfight

:corn:

HPo

Round 3 of MSNBC infighting came Tuesday night during coverage anchored by Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann. After Joe Scarborough squabbled with Olbermann and Matthews — and then with David Shuster — this time it was the two anchors who revealed the tension within the MSNBC camp.

Discussing Hillary Clinton's upcoming speech, Matthews began talking about women 's reactions to Hillary. His producers, likely wary of any more cries of sexism against the host and the network, presumably tried to get him to wrap, as he said, "I'll wrap in a second, I'll wrap in a second."

Olbermann then tried to attribute Matthews' point about women voters to Rachel Maddow, to which Matthews said, "Good ideas can be shared."

Then, when introducing Steny Hoyer, Olbermann mocked Matthews for "[going] off at the mouth" and made a hand gesture implying that Matthews talked forever.

"You make that sound, Keith," Matthews said. "I can do the same to you. That's what I thought. And I said it."

In other MSNBC-related tension, Page Six reports that Keith Olbermann is trying to ban Tom Brokaw from the network over claims he's made about the fine line Olbermann and Matthews walk as anchor-commentators:

Insiders say Olbermann is pushing to have Brokaw banned from the network and is also refusing to have centrist Time magazine columnist Mike Murphy on his show.

"The idea of anyone trying to ban Tom Brokaw is ludicrous," said one MSNBC-er. Brokaw was on MSNBC for an hour yesterday afternoon. Murphy, who was bumped from Olbermann's show on Monday night, told us, "They told me technical problems and I have no reason not to believe them."

YouTube - Matthews

I must say, as a Republican, this convention is going wonderfully for us, for a number of reasons.

1) I just read an article on Drudge saying how some Clinton supporters are saying her speech didn't heal the wounds. And I just saw that 30% of Hillary supporters are going to vote for McCain or stay home. Thirty percent. That is unbelievable. That is a game changer, easy.

You put far too much faith in polls. How did they possibly come up with the 30% number?

I can understand some Hillary supporters staying home, but I can't for the life of me see them in good concious vote McCain.

2) Plus, I just read that Bill won't be attending Obama's speech on Thursday. That will be a step backwards in uniting the party. And yesterday, he said this:

"Suppose for example you’re a voter and you have candidate X and you have candidate Y,” Clinton said. “Candidate X agrees with you on everything but you don’t think that person can deliver on anything. Candidate Y disagrees with you on half the issues but you believe that on the other half, the candidate will be able to deliver."
I don't know if you've noticed lately, Bill has lost some favor lately, I think one of the reasons Hillary lost. I don't think this is a big deal at all, in fact if anything it's good for Obama, it says it's no longer the Clintons's party.

3) Obama got NO bounce from his VP pick. None. If anything, he lost ground. Gallup had Obama up last week, then on Monday it was tied, and yesterday McCain was up by 2. Rasmussen also has McCain up by one today. Even CNN has them dead even.
Big bounces are rare from VP picks, normally within the margin of error percentages.

4) I've heard very little mention of Bush or McCain so far. That could change tonight and tomorrow, but I expected every other word coming out of their mouths to be "Bush." They have done very little attacking so far, as James Carville pointed out earlier.
I find it interesting that the right is pouncing on this, is it so hard for some of you to understand? Plus did you see Kucinich's speech?

5) I think the polls start to matter slightly right about now, and right now they're extremely close. The RCP average has Obama up by only 1.6, and like I said, multiple polls have come out the past couple days with McCain ahead. Do convention bounces only come after the convention, not during? Shouldn't we be seeing, in the middle of the convention, at least a slight widening of the gap for Obama? With McCain's VP pick coming Friday and their convention next week, Obama needs to be up by at least half a dozen points on Friday or Monday or else they should be very worried.

Normally you won't see a bounce till right after the convention.

Exit polls had Kerry winning the day before election...:shrug: Public polls mean very very little to me, they are far too easily manipulated, their selections are often far too small, and honestly think about those who actually have or take the time to poll.

Bill Clinton acts like an ass, so John McCain wins? :hmm: Hillary Clinton will be there. He's no longer President, so maybe he shouldn't be there and take attention away from the man who might be. I don't know why he's not going to be there.

I heard lots of Bush and McCain, I guess it depends upon what you're listening for and/or being given. Watch it on CSpan.

Wall Street Journal
Obama to Highlight Tax Cuts
For Middle Class in Speech
By MONICA LANGLEY
August 27, 2008

Barack Obama said he plans to focus on the struggles of middle-class Americans, including their tax burden, in his Thursday night speech accepting the Democratic nomination for president.

"The single most important thing I have to make clear is the choice we have in November between the same failed policy of the last eight years for the middle class and the new agenda to boost income for Americans and help families who are struggling," he said in a brief interview with The Wall Street Journal Tuesday. "I will make that contrast very clearly.

In response to Republican ads and his Republican opponent, John McCain, that have painted Sen. Obama as a tax-and-spend liberal, the Illinois senator said he wants to ease taxes on middle-income wage earners, a position that will be a key part of his primetime speech Thursday.

"In Missouri, and other battleground states, Republican ads say I would raise taxes… but my plan would provide three times more tax relief to the middle class," he said. "I don't think people realize that, and I hope that message will be absorbed by the electorate."

Sen. Obama stopped today at an airplane maintenance base in Kansas City, Mo., where stock clerk Bill Edwards said he is about to be laid off for the second time in recent years. "There's no way we can afford another four minutes, much less four years, of this attack on the middle class," Mr. Edwards said/

Sen.Obama spoke to a crowd of about 200 workers assembled in a big hanger with commercial airliners on either side of him. He told the workers to pay attention to both the Democratic convention this week and the Republican convention next week. "I want you to be well informed when making your decision," he said before launching into a litany of problems he linked to the Bush administration.

"Just remember this, over the last eight years, you've been falling behind," Sen. Obama began. "Over the last eight years, your lives are less secure. Over the last eight years, you are more likely to have lost your health insurance. Over the last eight years you are more likely to not be able to save. Over the last eight years your home values have started to drop. That is the track record."

Sen. McCain, he said, "is not promising to do anything different than George Bush did. So if you think that the last eight years have been good, then you need to go ahead and vote for John McCain. But if you think that we need to change this country fundamentally, then I think that you need to get involved in this campaign and help us bring about the kind of change America is looking for."

The themes are ones he is likely to sound on Thursday night. An Obama adviser said he has been using recent campaign events to road-test points he wants to make in his acceptance speech.

:corn:

HPo

Round 3 of MSNBC infighting came Tuesday night during coverage anchored by Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann. After Joe Scarborough squabbled with Olbermann and Matthews — and then with David Shuster — this time it was the two anchors who revealed the tension within the MSNBC camp.

Discussing Hillary Clinton's upcoming speech, Matthews began talking about women 's reactions to Hillary. His producers, likely wary of any more cries of sexism against the host and the network, presumably tried to get him to wrap, as he said, "I'll wrap in a second, I'll wrap in a second."

Olbermann then tried to attribute Matthews' point about women voters to Rachel Maddow, to which Matthews said, "Good ideas can be shared."

Then, when introducing Steny Hoyer, Olbermann mocked Matthews for "[going] off at the mouth" and made a hand gesture implying that Matthews talked forever.

"You make that sound, Keith," Matthews said. "I can do the same to you. That's what I thought. And I said it."

In other MSNBC-related tension, Page Six reports that Keith Olbermann is trying to ban Tom Brokaw from the network over claims he's made about the fine line Olbermann and Matthews walk as anchor-commentators:

Insiders say Olbermann is pushing to have Brokaw banned from the network and is also refusing to have centrist Time magazine columnist Mike Murphy on his show.

"The idea of anyone trying to ban Tom Brokaw is ludicrous," said one MSNBC-er. Brokaw was on MSNBC for an hour yesterday afternoon. Murphy, who was bumped from Olbermann's show on Monday night, told us, "They told me technical problems and I have no reason not to believe them."

YouTube - Matthews

That network is imploding. Their ratings are abysmal. Nobody over there likes Olbermann, except maybe Maddow and the few select people ever on his show, yet he's running the whole thing, and can hire and fire people as he pleases.

Almost as bad as "Hillary needs McCain to win for her 2012 plans" plan or the "I don't like the opposite party candidate but I won't vote for anyone" attitude people use in elections.

"Yadda yadda yadda da da da yabba dabba do AND THAT IS WHY I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!"

*CHEER LIKE IDIOTS*

That network is imploding. Their ratings are abysmal. Nobody over there likes Olbermann, except maybe Maddow and the few select people ever on his show, yet he's running the whole thing, and can hire and fire people as he pleases.

Your feelings towards MSNBC are irrational. You have no idea who likes who, and neither do I, and the notion that Olbermann is 'running the whole thing' or that he can 'hire and fire people as he pleases' is absurd. And the network is not imploding at all.

You know, I can't stand O'Reilly or the Fox crew, but I don't waste my time actually following a site dedicated to smearing the guy at all costs(like you clearly do with olbermannwatch.com) waiting for a report on every little thing the guy does so that I can pounce on him. It's silly. You are reading irrational, sensationalistic garbage written by people who are clearly way over-the-top in their hatred of Olbermann and MSNBC and are more interested in painting him/it in a bad light by exaggerating every little thing to the point of absurdity than in actually delivering any accurate, constructive critique of a news network, and you are using that irrational, sensationalistic garbage to form and justify your equally irrational posts on the topic here.

Honestly, get over it.

Um, moving on...

August 26, 2008, 5:13 pm
Conventions: On Opening Night, Democrats Draw at Least 22 Million
By Brian Stelter

Updated at 5:40 p.m.: At least 22 million television viewers watched the Democratic convention Monday night, when Michelle Obama spoke about her husband and her family, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Television ratings are often used to judge the amount of attention Americans are giving to the political conventions. The numbers for the first night suggest that slightly more viewers are watching this year than in 2004, when the first night of the Democratic convention drew an average of 18 million viewers to the three broadcasters and three cable networks.

Those six networks attracted 21 million on Monday. This year, Nielsen is including BET and TV One, two cable channels primarily for African Americans, in its estimates, because both channels are showing parts of the convention. Including those two channels, the Nielsen average audience is 22.3 million.

The ratings show viewers drifting toward cable news: CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC posted double-digit increases in audience over the 2004 convention, while the broadcast networks declined (with the exception of NBC, which benefited from a lead-in of 7.5 million viewers for “America’s Toughest Jobs”).

The broadcast networks NBC, ABC and CBS attracted an audience of 12 million, with NBC leading the pack with 4.7 million viewers. (”Deal or No Deal,” at 8 p.m. on NBC, averaged 11 million viewers.) In another sign of the increasing popularity of cable channels for news coverage, CNN attracted more viewers — 4.2 million — than ABC or CBS for the hour. ABC drew 4.17 million and CBS averaged 3.46 million at the same hour.

On cable news, the Fox News Channel had an average of 2.92 million viewers for the hour, while MSNBC averaged 2.1 million. CNN, usually the second place cable network behind Fox News, was also top-rated during the Democratic convention in 2004.

The combined audience was a few million shy of NBC’s prime time average during the Olympics this month. Including the audience on PBS, C-SPAN and other outlets, Mrs. Obama’s speech may have reached 25 million viewers, but ratings for the 10 p.m. hours of those networks were not available Monday afternoon. An untold, but likely smaller, number of viewers watched Webcasts on DemConvention.com, CNN.com and other sites.

PBS estimated that it averaged 2.8 million viewers for the duration of its coverage from 8 to 11 p.m. During the same time frame on cable news, Fox attracted 3.02 million, CNN averaged 3.7 million, and MSNBC drew 2.15 million.

I love Rachel Maddow, I think she is a rare shining star.

When Maddow was 19, two years after she came out of the closet, she watched with horror as Pat Buchanan took the podium at the 1992 Republican convention and called for a culture war against such liberal notions as "homosexual rights."

"I felt my country was declaring war on me," she says.

On Monday night, seated on a makeshift stage overlooking Denver's train station, Maddow recalled that experience on the air, turning to her left -- where Buchanan, her fellow MSNBC analyst, sat.

Pat Buchanan isn't good enough to hold her shit in a shovel, much less sit next to her.

Pat Buchanan isn't good enough to hold her shit in a shovel, much less sit next to her.

i remember that speech. it was terrifying. absolutely terrifying.

who knew that, 16 years later, i'd come to actually kind of enjoy good old Pat in all of his paranoid nativism. at least he's consistent.

Pat Buchanan is an MSNBC analyst? That's like telling me Bill Maher just got his own show on FOX News.:lol: Does anyone have a transcript of this speech? Even though I was only 4, I actually remember my mom and dad watching the Democratic Convention, the Clinton inauguration and all that. I highly doubt they would've ever watched the Republican one. Since both of them think Buchanan's a class A douchebag, I don't think either of them would know about it.

How did they possibly come up with the 30% number?
Most of the polling I've seen on that topic puts it around 20%. That works out to about 2.6% of the electorate--not enough to swing anything unless they were all concentrated in one or two swing states, which they aren't.
i remember that speech. it was terrifying. absolutely terrifying.

who knew that, 16 years later, i'd come to actually kind of enjoy good old Pat in all of his paranoid nativism. at least he's consistent.
He's always reminded me a bit of Sharpton in this way--one moment you see him ranting wildly and think "OK that does it, I'm permanently writing this guy off as terminally, dangerously out of touch with reality," then six months later you see him on some debating panel and think, "Damn, he's the only one here who's actually offering an internally coherent, logical argument."

But ultimately, not trustworthy.

Back
Top Bottom