Dark times ahead for Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neenie

War Child
With the election next year and the opinion polls now showing Tony Abbott as preferred prime minister makes me think the majority of Australians should hang their heads in shame. Former Prime Minister Paul Keating was right the other week when he said Australians will deserve a kick up the bum for wanting to vote in this capuchin. How people think this monkey is fit for government is beyond me. He wants to give Gina Rinehart and Clive Palmer tax cuts. Has no concern about the poor, the homeless and the disabled. Wants to kick the mentally ill off welfare. There is racism in the liberal party and most of his supporters/voters are well off. Doesn’t believe in workers’ rights and his views on women are from the 50’s. Stop the boats, stop the welfare, stop the gays, is all he bangs on about. Mr Abbott has no policy ambition. :down:

Completely agree, but they have played the media much better than Labour. Now everyone is on the "JULIAR" train the ALP look pretty screwed, despite all the good they've done.

Would be good if this thread got a good following from all the Aussies (and expats, Lisa ;)) over the coming year.

Who does believe in workers' rights on the Australian political scene?

But yes, I would have to agree, Abbott is a piece of shit.

You know, Danny, the government isn't necessarily an organisation intending to give freedom to the people. ;)

But which major Australian politician actually cares about workers' rights? This is what I want to know.

OP mentioned it. I could not think of a politician who supported it. I am also curious to know what his definition of workers' rights is.

Sorry I should have worded it better, I was meant to say Tony Abbott wants to bring back work choices although he hasn’t said it clear cut yet. It seems he is preparing to legislate away the rights of working people . The Liberals want to attack penalty rates , week end rates Public holiday rates, hours of work, split shifts, etc Abbott gives glimpse of industrial law revamp - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Another thing he wants to do is take people with mental illness off the Disability support pension. It’s easy for him to say they can be easily treated, but I know someone with schizophrenia and that person is not fit for full time work because of the treatment of medication. The medication for mental illness can be very sedative for people.

Can't claim any great expertise, but I do have my suspicions that the Abbott ascendancy has been and gone. This guy conveniently contributes to my view in this matter.

Back
Top Bottom