Dangers of Low-Energy Light Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont understand how a halogen/fluorescent light would cause more problems than a regular bulb.

But if its proven, then I dont see why sufferers shouldn't be allowed normal bulbs. Im sure they can import them.

I have used 'low energy' light bulbs for years and have never had this problem.

I do know that flo/halo bulbs contain some toxic gases, and apparantly our UK ones had no warnings on. (You should evacuate the room for at least 15 mins after breaking one apparantly)

But...I just dont see what difference there should be in ANY bulb (bar UV) that would have one cause more or less light-related skin problems.

Large retailers have already stopped selling conventional 100-watt bulbs, the most popular size.

People actually use 100-watt bulbs in their house? I don't have anything higher than 40. :crack:

!

People actually use 100-watt bulbs in their house? I don't have anything higher than 40. :crack:

f*ck yeah
were Americans

we got 150 watts,
daylight at midnight !

teamamerica_wideweb__430x269.jpg

The only damage a light bulb has done to me (or ever will do) is when one broke in my hand.

My mother told me just recently about a friend of hers who had problems with low energy light bulbs. His shoulder would hurt anytime he sits under his reading lamp where he just changed to a low energy bulb and his doctor told him he should try if it also hurts when he uses a normal bulb. It didn't.
When you are less than a meter away from the bulb you may react to the radiation it emits. So for some a reading lamp shouldn't be equipped with such bulbs. But for normal lamps it shouldn't be a problem as you are sitting in a big enough distance to it.

This issue only affects a small minority of people, and only from one type of alternative bulb, CFLs. It's ultimately because, unlike the incandescent bulb, they emit a small amount of UV radiation, so those who suffer from severe sensitivity to sunlight will have an issue with CFLs. LED-based bulbs will not have this problem, although, at this point, they are far less common.

In other words, this is a legitimate concern, but only for a small minority of people with abnormal conditions. The vast majority of people can be around CFLs with no problem whatsoever.

I guess it's one of those one in a million problems. So far I've not heard of a second person having such problems. As melon said, it's only likely if you are extremely sensitive to UV rays.

i actually try to live my evenings by candlelight, no joke.

much easier when you're in a 1-bedroom apartment, but i think there's something to be said for the gradual loss of light during the day that prepares you for sleep. light pollution is incredibly disruptive to our natural rhythms (however admittedly necessary it is). i find that lighting a room full of candles around when i get home from work and the gym around 9:30 or so is every bit as relaxing and detoxifying as a glass of wine.

just saying. and no energy wasted. and soft bulbs with lampshades and dimmers are good, too. flattering, even.

I used to use candles in college, especially for reading. It was really relaxing. Only problem now is that I have more than enough chores and things to do to keep me busy until dawn!

Low lighting is nice.

Pet hate: people who feel the need to floodlight their entire property at all hours. Even if they're home. I know, I know, it's cause of all the burglars and terrists and stuff, but really... the boogeyman won't be stopped by mere electricity. You're still going to die.

Back
Top Bottom