Confederate History Month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course, I was making a rhetorical point, as neither one of us supports the Iraqi resistance, though to be fair to you the majority of Iraq war supporters don't even seem able to make the distinction you just made, i.e., they see it thusly:

Iraq citizens who are against the invasion = bad eggs, terrorists
Iraqi citizens who are in favour of the invasion = good eggs, freedom lovers

And to extrapolate upon that point in order to put into context of this thread one could reason the same attitude toward Confederates:

Confederates who are against the invasion of the United States into their country= bad eggs, racists

Confederates who are in favor of the invasion (my guess there weren't too many of these) = good eggs, non-racists

And to extrapolate upon that point in order to put into context of this thread one could reason the same attitude toward Confederates:

Confederates who are against the invasion of the United States into their country= bad eggs, racists

Confederates who are in favor of the invasion (my guess there weren't too many of these) = good eggs, non-racists

Invasion into THEIR country? Really?

For almost four years, there was a Confederate States of America. This is the country the "men in gray" believed they were defending.

Yes but you made it sound like it was a legitimate country beforehand and then the Union invaded.

The states seceded, and actually cited that Slavery was the most compelling reason for seceding, and then the Civil War started a month later.

The sececession isn't even deemed legal, except of course by the South, so your comparison is a little off.

Yes but you made it sound like it was a legitimate country beforehand and then the Union invaded.

I was offering the point of view of the Confederate. If you recall, Virginia did not secede until Lincoln called up to 75,000 volunteers to invade the South.

For the record, I'm not a Confederate sympathizer. My bloodline fought for the Union even though they lived in a very Confederate region of Kentucky. However, I do respect and honor the heroes of the Confederacy despite their flawed thinking on some issues – in the same way I respect Lincoln even though he told “darkie” jokes before cabinet meetings and believed the white man was inherently superior to the black man. I try to look at history objectively, and I try to place myself into the time period I’m studying.

Yet, I do question the need for government involvement in declaring special days and events. People should be free to celebrate, BBQ, dress up, re-enact battles - just as they do at the Renaissance Fairs. There’s no reason for the state’s involvement.

So we should eliminate all "special days"?

Interesting idea. :hmm:
No, not eliminate – just limit the government’s involvement. I would still celebrate Christmas whether or not the government removed its declaration of it as a national holiday.

Back
Top Bottom