Chris Rock's 4th Of July Tweet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really can't stand the term 'unamerican'.

I have a monopoly on what it means to be American. For I understand what those brilliant fore fathers who were sent here by God meant for this country, even 200 years later. I have a monopoly on morality. When I want government in your personal life its for YOUR own good, therefore it's not "big". I believe in freedom for all, unless you are one of those unamerican type of humans then you must conform to get your freedom.

I am an unelitist christian conservative, therefore 100% American.

So in a related 'Celebrity says something stupid' moment what do you think about Nugent's comment that it may have been better if the South won the Civil War?

NUGENT: Turncoat Roberts - Washington Times

Pretty much the same as Chris Rock; he says things that he knows will get attention. His musical career has sunk to the point that he's playing the side stage at rural state fairs, so he has to keep his name in the news somehow.

Comedy, especially stand-up when done right, is one of the few places in today's society where we actually can talk through and try to deal with taboo issues that blowhards on the left and right make a big effort to "take offense" to.

IronHorse seems to have taken the remark too seriously and genuinely made an effort to educate, which is kind of missing the point but sweet at the same time.

His musical career has sunk to the point that he's playing the side stage at rural state fairs, so he has to keep his name in the news somehow.

Yeah, I actually find it absolutely hilarious that he has somehow became the "rock celebrity" mouthpiece for the right. I mean here's a party that tries to claim a monopoly on morality and the only music spokesperson they can get outside of country is a washed up has been that once took legal guardianship so he could continuing screwing a 17 year old, has several kids out of wedlock, and has penned such christian songs as 'Wang Dang Sweet Putang' and 'Yank Me Crank Me'. I guess you just take what you can get :shrug:

Yeah, I actually find it absolutely hilarious that he has somehow became the "rock celebrity" mouthpiece for the right. I mean here's a party that tries to claim a monopoly on morality and the only music spokesperson they can get outside of country is a washed up has been that once took legal guardianship so he could continuing screwing a 17 year old, has several kids out of wedlock, and has penned such christian songs as 'Wang Dang Sweet Putang' and 'Yank Me Crank Me'. I guess you just take what you can get :shrug:

People with a particular political affiliation block out less desirable elements of their own party all the time and vote with blinders on. It's what you have to do if you want to be politically-active in a two-party system.

Fiscal conservatives ignore fundamentalist Christians, urban liberals ignore the crazy fucks at Greenpeace, and so on.

National holidays never instilled a feeling of pride into me. Maybe I'm just bitter because of what people have twisted the origin of this country into. What I mean by that isn't so much political as it's about facts being changed for the sake of instilling more patriotism in us. History books lying about what happened to the natives (not all, but some do this, including mine), constant misrepresentations of the founding fathers to suit whoever's need (quotes out of context...

claiming this is a "christian nation" after so many lives were lost fighting to keep religion OUT of government, etc)... and political shows twisting stories about the revolution for their own gain.

What history book are you reading?

Let tyrants shake their iron rods. And slavery clank her galling chains.
We fear them not, We trust in God. New England's God forever reigns.

The foe comes on with haughty stride, our troops advance with martial noise,
Their veterans flee before our youth, and generals yield to beardless boys

What grateful offerings shall we bring, what shall we render to the Lord,
Loud Hallelujahs let us sing, and praise His name on every chord.

--Chester the anthem of the Continental Army

First Prayer of the Continental Congress, 1774

O Lord our Heavenly Father, high and mighty King of kings, and Lord of lords, who dost from thy throne behold all the dwellers on earth and reignest with power supreme and uncontrolled over all the Kingdoms, Empires and Governments; look down in mercy, we beseech Thee, on these our American States, who have fled to Thee from the rod of the oppressor and thrown themselves on Thy gracious protection, desiring to be henceforth dependent only on Thee. To Thee have they appealed for the righteousness of their cause; to Thee do they now look up for that countenance and support, which Thou alone canst give. Take them, therefore, Heavenly Father, under Thy nurturing care; give them wisdom in Council and valor in the field; defeat the malicious designs of our cruel adversaries; convince them of the unrighteousness of their Cause and if they persist in their sanguinary purposes, of own unerring justice, sounding in their hearts, constrain them to drop the weapons of war from their unnerved hands in the day of battle!

Be Thou present, O God of wisdom, and direct the councils of this honorable assembly; enable them to settle things on the best and surest foundation. That the scene of blood may be speedily closed; that order, harmony and peace may be effectually restored, and truth and justice, religion and piety, prevail and flourish amongst the people. Preserve the health of their bodies and vigor of their minds; shower down on them and the millions they here represent, such temporal blessings as Thou seest expedient for them in this world and crown them with everlasting glory in the world to come. All this we ask in the name and through the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son and our Savior.

Amen.

Reverend Jacob Duché
Rector of Christ Church of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
September 7, 1774, 9 o’clock a.m.

We're still a great country to live in, but we often don't know what we stand for anymore. People get far too defensive when America is subject to criticism.

People get defensive at history revisionism.

By the way, that inscription on the Liberty Bell... is it religious or secular in origin?

I can't imagine how shitty it must be for you guys to have your political process so muddied by religious gobbledygook

Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli perhaps?

There's a lot of revisionism on both sides (see the history of the Pledge of Allegiance, etc.).

INDY500 said:

By the way, that inscription on the Liberty Bell... is it religious or secular in origin?

You tell them! All our forefathers were Christian, especially Jefferson.

Jefferson was a Christian. I believe he called himself a Unitarian.
But this is a never ending argument.

The one thing we can say without a good amount of confidence is - whether they were Christian or Deist, they were also secularists.

And there are two extremes that often refuse to acknowledge one of those two things.

The one thing we can say without a good amount of confidence is - whether they were Christian or Deist, they were also secularists.

And there are two extremes that often refuse to acknowledge one of those two things.

You're wrong.

I believe, as the founders did, in a secular government administered by, and for, a religious people.

INDY500 said:
I believe, as the founders did, in a secular government administered by, and for, a religious people.

I guess I'll go take my rightful place as a second class citizen for daring to not be able to find evidence of a god

You must not be very happy with the Republican or Democratic parties at the moment, then.

How does it feel to have your secular government slapping you in the face with "one nation under god" printed on every piece of paper currency you pass through your hands? Every time kids in your state pledge allegiance to "one nation, under god?"

If you support a secular government than you do not support any current form of state or national government in the U.S., where legislative sessions begin with prayer, for fuck's sake.

You must not be very happy with the Republican or Democratic parties at the moment, then.

How does it feel to have your secular government slapping you in the face with "one nation under god" printed on every piece of paper currency you pass through your hands? Every time kids in your state pledge allegiance to "one nation, under god?"
Actually that's "In God We Trust," the official national motto, on our money. And I'm so offended by that I choose it as my Indiana license plate.

If you support a secular government than you do not support any current form of state or national government in the U.S., where legislative sessions begin with prayer, for fuck's sake.

Do you think a secular government means one free of any religious influences?

Absolutely. Religious influence in government is one of the worst things about our government.

And please don't try and prop up an argument about the law and the Ten Commandments or whatever. Murder is a crime with or without religion.

This argument reminds me that the Girl Guides here in Oz recently got rid of the "pledge allegiance to God" part of their pledge. Thank goodness. I couldn't think of anything more antiquated than Guides having to pray before a session. In the years I did Scouts I hated being forced to pray and pledge allegiance to a God I didn't believe in.

Do you think a secular government means one free of any religious influences?

I think a secular government means that everyone in it can personally follow any religion they please. They can go to church on their own time, if they want to read their respective religious texts before bed at night, that sort of thing, I don't care.

But they cannot use their religious beliefs to create our laws. Things get really sketchy when that starts happening, for both non-religious AND religious people.

What does any of this have to do with the star of "Grown Ups 2" sending out some tweet pissed off at the white audiences he has sold out to?

Everything is part of the culture war. Everything. Even something like climate change(d). For some people, your position on it is determined not by science but on whether or not you think abortion is murder.

And the "one nation, under god" anti-commie BS was one of the first shots fired.

What does any of this have to do with the star of "Grown Ups 2" sending out some tweet pissed off at the white audiences he has sold out to?

Because conversations have a natural flow and if we were forced to stick to the exact topic in every thread, this would be the most rigid and boring forum on the internet. Why does someone have to bring this up in every time?

Presumably not religious people, but religious people of a certain persuasion.

Because every thread here has to somehow come around to religion? Even something that is a far fetched relation. It is tiresome.

Anyway- I don't know about sold out to white audiences but, tragically, Grown Ups 2 is currently filming in MA. Shaq even has a part in it. I wonder if Adam Sandler is still married to Salma Hayek. Only in Hollywood. It will still be better than the one where he played his twin sister (I sat through that for free) or the one he just had out that was a total bomb (wouldn't even sit through that for free). That's my random far fetched relation.

Back
Top Bottom