Chris Lane's Murder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WWII veteran Delbert Belton survived being wounded in action during the Battle of Okinawa only to be beaten and left for dead by two teens at the Eagles Lodge in Spokane on Wednesday evening

How very, very sad.

I'm still trying to find these statistics to see if they are real. If so - I think it's time it gets brought into the mainstream for some real discussion.

After researching the FBI numbers for “Suicide of a Superpower,” this writer concluded: “An analysis of ‘single offender victimization figures’ from the FBI for 2007 finds blacks committed 433,934 crimes against whites, eight times the 55,685 whites committed against blacks. Interracial rape is almost exclusively black on white — with 14,000 assaults on white women by African Americans in 2007. Not one case of a white sexual assault on a black female was found in the FBI study.”

Though blacks are outnumbered 5-to-1 in the population by whites, they commit eight times as many crimes against whites as the reverse. By those 2007 numbers, a black male was 40 times as likely to assault a white person as the reverse.

If interracial crime is the ugliest manifestation of racism, what does this tell us about where racism really resides — in America?

And if the FBI stats for 2007 represent an average year since the Tawana Brawley rape-hoax of 1987, over one-third of a million white women have been sexually assaulted by black males since 1987 — with no visible protest from the civil rights leadership

article

Great. Turn this into a Conservative issue. Not into the Hate crime that it is. A black kid wanted to kill a white guy and he did. Why was that? Where is the Liberal outrage? He had hatred for the white man and killed another person. He should be hung not given life. Where were his parents? How on earth can you blame Republicans on this one? Wow you are real far from reality.

hanged

Just a wonder, but what are laws regarding knives like in the states? Can you conceal carry a switchblade for instance? Can you walk about with a knife in public?

Just a wonder, but what are laws regarding knives like in the states? Can you conceal carry a switchblade for instance? Can you walk about with a knife in public?

As far as I know, there are only laws on the length of blade you an carry around. Pretty sure that's what it's like in Canada anyway.

lest we get ahead of ourselves ...

Conservative media have seized on the killing of an Australian student in Oklahoma by three local teenagers as racially motivated.

Twenty-two year old Christopher Lane, a student at East Central University, was shot dead in Duncan, Okla., on Aug. 16. Lane’s death has drawn national attention because the teenage suspects allegedly told police that they shot him because they were “bored and didn’t have anything to do.” Many Australian press reports have have focused on the easy availability of firearms in the United States.

Conservative media however, have honed in on the argument that the three suspects are black and the victim is white. In fact, one of the suspects is white, an official from the Stephens County District Attorney’s office told MSNBC Wednesday. “That is not the case,” the official said when asked whether all three suspects were black. “One is black, one is half-black half-white, the other is white.”

Conservative media appear to have relied on an erroneous report in the Australian media about the identity of the suspects. Right-wing outlets have since singled out tweets from one of the suspects that include derogatory language aimed at white people.

Local officials have not presented evidence yet that the killing was related to or based on race, but for many conservative outlets, the assumed race of the suspects was proof enough that Lane’s killing was racially motivated. National Review posted a since-uncorrected summary to an Australian news site wrongly identifying the suspects with the headline, “Three Black Teens Kill White College Student; Racial Grievance Industry Silent.” As Mediaite columnist Tommy Christopher noted, Fox News aired a Fox and Friends segment Wednesday morning erroneously identifying all three suspects as black and asking why Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and Barack Obama hadn’t spoken out.

As Christopher also noted, Daily Caller blogger Sean Medlock, who writes under a pseudonym, wrote a post titled “black teenagers kill white jogger for sport.” Medlock initially posted a picture first published by an Australian media outlet that wrongly identified the white suspect as black. Although Medlock has since posted an image with the correct identifying information, he has not altered his headline or corrected the post.

Referring to Obama’s remarks following the shooting of Trayvon Martin in 2012, Townhall columnist Katie Pavlich identified the suspects as black and asked sarcastically, “If Obama had a son, would he look like Chris Lane?” Pavlich later corrected her post. Obama’s remarks about Martin, which set off another conservative firestorm in 2012, were intended as a gesture of sympathy towards black parents who fear their children may be mistakenly profiled as criminals and harmed as a result.

Even after learning that one of the suspects was white, conservative media insisted the killing must have been motivated by anti-white racism. “They got bored and said, ‘Let’s go shoot a white guy!’ Folks, I gotta tell you, there’s something else about this. This is Trayvon Martin in reverse, only worse,” Rush Limbaugh told listeners Wednesday. “No matter where you look in the media, it’s not a racial event. Nothing about it is racist. This is the epitome of media irresponsibility.”

Limbaugh, along with conservative media maven Matt Drudge, has been diligent in highlighting instances of violence with white victims since Obama took office, incidents seen as part of a trend he blames on the president.n Obama’s America, the white kids now get beat up with the black kids cheering,” he said after one incident in 2009.

Limbaugh’s remarks also underscore how the right has been seeking to elevate Lane’s shooting as a point of contrast with media coverage of the shooting of Trayvon Martin, who was shot and killed during a confrontation with George Zimmerman in Sanford, Fla., last year. Zimmerman, who said he shot Martin in self-defense after the teen attacked him, was acquitted in July of second-degree murder and manslaughter. Conservatives see media coverage of the Martin case as having been unjustifiably sympathetic to the dead teenager and his family.

Much of the initial public outrage regarding Martin’s shooting had to do with the lack of charges against Zimmerman. Unlike the suspects in the Oklahoma shooting, Zimmerman was not initially charged with any crime. Martin was shot in February of 2012; Zimmerman was initially let go by Sanford police based on lack of evidence and not charged until April. According to the charging document filed by local prosecutors in Oklahoma, the three suspects were found and apprehended hours after Lane’s death and charged the next day.

Martin’s death left many in the black community feeling that Martin had been profiled based on race, something Zimmerman has denied doing, and that the initial failure to arrest Zimmerman was based on a sense that Martin’s life was not valued because he was black. If incorrect, that feeling is nevertheless motivated by centuries of American history that include chattel slavery, Jim Crow, and mass incarceration. “I think it’s important to recognize that the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away,” Obama said shortly after Zimmerman was acquitted.

On the one hand, that prism includes a history of institutionalized racism against black people that went on for most of the republic’s existence. On the other, Obama’s been president for five years and conservatives don’t like him much. In some corners of the parallel universe of conservative media and talk radio, these experiences are roughly equivalent narratives of harrowing racial oppression, except we haven’t overcome the latter yet.

‘This is Trayvon Martin in reverse, only worse,’ right-wingers say — MSNBC

If we're making concessions for "half white" here...

Just sayin'

For the record, I don't know why this is getting dragged into the Trayvon shit show, I'm just trying to stay consistent

Switchblade laws vary from state to state. Here in CA, they are illegal.

certain types of knives are illegal, but there would be nothing stopping you from carrying around a folding 5" blade, correct?

certain types of knives are illegal, but there would be nothing stopping you from carrying around a folding 5" blade, correct?

California allows us to carry a concealed folding knife with no limit to the blade length. Switchblades and daggers are not allowed.

There are some other restrictions for schools, public buildings and events...

There are laws regarding the length of the blade and if the blade is fixed/ lockable or not.

I was just curious to know whether they were more heavily regulated than fire arms or not.

I'm all for some increased gun control. But I don't think that would have prevented the two tragedies we've highlighted in this thread. It doesn't appear the weapon that was used to murder Chris Lane was an assault rifle - and the elderly veteran was beaten to death with flashlights.

Why? is that a myth about the black male?

It took me a while to figure out why diemen found it disturbing. I read it as support for the death penalty, which isn't exactly unheard of. But then I realized in the car (why was I thinking about interference in the car?) that the image of a black person being hanged probably has a little more baggage tied to it than any other form of capital punishment. I'm not sure that's the way tim intended it, however

For good reason from what I've heard :crack:

I thought switchblades were nation-wide illegal. As far as I know, they are definitely illegal in Indiana.

I remember my parents warning me to stay away from lawn darts when I was a kid. I still remember some slightly older kids playing with them in the park. What a terrible idea for a leisure activity

I blame the guns.

There's plenty of outrage on this subject, and it's a nations embarrassment. Race is a component of this, but the real issue is, as always, the ease of accessibility to handguns.

Also, there is specific criteria for something to be considered a hate crime. We'll see if this meets that criteria. From what I've read, a gang initiation seems a likely explanation.

Tourists don't fear our black people. They fear Americans with guns.

But rest assured, Australia -- the murder rate is at a 40-year low. It's safer to visit American now than in any of our lifetimes.

It's just unfortunate that the masturbatory gun fantasy results in crimes like this one that could only ever happen in America, not inly but primarily because of our gun laws.

You blame the guns?

Explain this:
Teen charged, second sought in beating death of WWII vet, 88, in Spokane, Wash. - U.S. News

And please explain why you ignore the following:

-The destruction of the famliy

-Children being raised without fathers

-Song lyrics that glorify violence

-The elevation of self as a god and pleasure as all

You seem to have a lot of background information on these suspects, Iron Horse... or are you just making vague, blanketing statements?

Funny how people on here were screaming for Zimmerman's head and crying RACISM RACISM, but now when the tables are turned (twice in a couple days) everyone here is dead silent.

Oh that's right, I forgot to put my liberal cap on. Only white people are racist.......

I rather enjoy the more measured approach to the discussion in this thread... but to each his own I suppose

I remember my parents warning me to stay away from lawn darts when I was a kid. I still remember some slightly older kids playing with them in the park. What a terrible idea for a leisure activity

Beer - kids running around - lawn darts....what could go wrong?

And please explain why you ignore the following:

-The destruction of the famliy

-Children being raised without fathers

-Song lyrics that glorify violence

I think these first 3 items are certainly an issue and specific enough to address. However, unless more men like Maycocksean volunteer and "guide" these kids from youth until early adulthood - it's not likely to happen.

We can't make horrible lyrics illegal - otherwise "Sexy Boots" would have been banned....then again, maybe that would have been okay. But leaders within the black community (especially moms) can keep the pressure on the artists...

Back
Top Bottom