Catholic Church & US Republican Party torch big tent and rebuild from obedient ranks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
Catholic Church & US Republican Party torch big tent and rebuild from obedient ranks

Does God Hate the Kennedys? - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

The story in the above link doesn't really match the title of this thread, but it is a worthwhile read. The linked article just reiterates what has been obvious to American (and I suspect all) Catholics for years. That is, the church has absolutely no interest whatsoever in reaching out to any of their ranks who have some disagreements or concerns over some "issues". Instead, the Catholic church has made it clear they've adopted a "love it or leave it approach" to the "universal church". They are happy to see millions leave the faith if that means they can be left with the most obedient and unquestioning ranks that will allow the status quo to continue unchallenged.

Likewise, the US republican party now seems to be adopting the same philosophy. Burn down the "big tent" and rebuild and continue with the most virulent idealists. That's fine. You can always find another political party if you don't like it. But the Church purports to claim dominion over one's eternal soul (and they couldn't care less -- in fact practically encourage the discontented to leave rather than reach out).

I don't have a lot of time to respond, but this also reminds me of the "conservative resurgence/fundamentalist takeover" of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Southern Baptist Convention conservative resurgence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd suggest reading the entire article, because I think this event has been the template for what's currently happening both in the Republican Party and the Catholic Church. Granted, with the latter, nothing substantial happens unless it has the backing of the current leadership--i.e., the Vatican and the Pope.

Thanks. I read the entire article. I agree that there is a common theme here. I wonder what became of the scores of "liberal" baptists that were chased away over the past few decades. Were they intimidated into silent submission or did they go to other denominations? Probably the most important lesson I take away from that article is that a church's dogma and direction is ultimately dictated by whomever is in power -- rather than by a set of unalienable and God-given principles. (Just another example of the victors writing the history books).

Back
Top Bottom