Capitalism:A Love Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It must be working out okay for his favorite restaurants. Hopefully the film pulls in plenty of cash though.

[raised quizzical eyebrow] So, an anti-Capitalism movie from the same guy that just made a pro-universal healthcare movie.
Good thing for us that no one in Washington DC, like say those behind the current healthcare reform push, shares that same duality of philosophy. Because that might "fundamentally change our country" or "remake America" or something.

Anyway, since the movie is free (it is free right? because Hollywood is making record profits this year. Hey, hey, ho ho, Big Popcorn has to go), I might just go see it. Besides, the congressman in the clip is my representative... for one more year anyway.

Way to keep that mind open

:wink: I lied actually, Ive seen bits of Bowling For Columbine and Farenheit 9/11, and I watched him on the Colbert Report :D But after just listening to him say "Capitolism is evil," I will not be watching this one. :cute:

He actually does say that in the film, according to a review I read:

Here, as in Sicko, what Michael Moore is really talking about is the collapse of the social contract. That’s a powerful theme, but why did he have to make a movie in which the villain is nothing less than…capitalism itself? He insists on painting the very concept of American free enterprise as inherently unjust. But even if you believe, as many responsible pundits do, that de-regulation in the ’80s went too far, that markets do need to be managed, and that unchecked capitalism is a voracious beast that can consume a culture alive…even if you agree with all that, you may have a hard time swallowing the grand finale of Capitalism: A Love Story, in which Moore trashes our system as “evil” and pushes for nothing less than a citizens’ “revolt,” which he seems to believe (naively) the election of Barack Obama was the first stage of. At its best, Capitalism: A Love Story is a searing and eloquent outcry against the excesses of a cutthroat time. At its worst, it’s dorm-room Marxism — a power-to-the-people bumper sticker that willfully leaves out the people’s own responsibility for the country we all share. Moore almost seems to have forgotten that the politicians he so castigates are the ones that Americans voted for.
Toronto: Why Michael Moore's 'Capitalism: A Love Story' is powerful — and frustrating | EW.com

Michael Moore has been getting progressively worse with each film. His best was Roger & Me. Not watching this one, not even for free. :down:

This is the quote that I've read:

Capitalism is an evil, and you cannot regulate evil. You have to eliminate it and replace it with something that is good for all people and that something is democracy.

Which to me is a little different than just saying "Capitalism is evil" and leaving it at that...

I've never been a huge fan of Michael Moore but I do like his sense of humour every once in awhile, and the way he uses it to make a point.

Essentially we have a law which says gambling is illegal but we've allowed Wall Street to do this and they've played with people's money and taken it into these crazy areas of derivatives

See this makes sense to me, why is one legal and the other not? I do think we need to re-examine our whole system and look at the inconsistencies we have in place, and the devices that we have in place to further divide the uber rich and the dirt poor.

I think much of what he says is hyperbole and not meant to be taken literally. People can think for themselves and do their own research- I highly doubt that anyone takes his movies to be the definitive truth about anything.

It has already done well in limited release. I'm going to see it.

The day Moore starts walking down the street and giving away all his money to poor people is the day I'll start to listen to this guy's view of evil capitalism.

How do you know how much money Moore gives away to the poor? I like people who give and don't advertise.

If you follow that line of reasoning no one has the right to an opinion about anything-because not one of us walks the walk completely. For me personally Jesus was the only one who did that, and I'm sure even Jesus had his flaws.

The day Moore starts walking down the street and giving away all his money to poor people is the day I'll start to listen to this guy's view of evil capitalism.

do you feel the same way about Bono? that he has no right to say anything about Africa until he gives away his 9 figures of worth?

I hope you feel the same way about rich Christians.

The Bible talks a lot more about giving to the poor, not hoarding and the sin of luxuries then about many of the things you try to implement using the Bible.

"Sell your possessions and give to the poor."

I think Moore's idea of replacing it with true democracy is much closer to the Bible than any of your uber-capitalism "christians" you follow.

do you feel the same way about Bono? that he has no right to say anything about Africa until he gives away his 9 figures of worth?

at the 2nd U2 NJ/NY show i was way up 3/4 back ( :lol: actually near where iwas for ZOO-TV) .

So, during one of of Bono's speeches .... s
ome one in my section further up yelled out something along the lines--- Bono & his milllions :blahblah:

SO I yelled back something like.... "that doesn't matter"

BUT what I probably should have said was

"It's what you DO with those millions , that counts!"

I think much of what he says is hyperbole and not meant to be taken literally. People can think for themselves and do their own research- I highly doubt that anyone takes his movies to be the definitive truth about anything.

It has already done well in limited release. I'm going to see it.

Well, MM has dug up some very interesting historical stuff:

I heard part of an interview with him late last week on our local NYC/ tri-state public radio station.

One of the things they FOUND in their research on FDR, is some film footage that was lost in time, so to speak,
of FDR either proposing a new Bill of Rights or something similar--
to reign in the excesses of laize-faire Capitalism.

IN FACT Teddy Roosevelt >a Republican also spoke on what a "LIVING WAGE" should look like!
I've heard it- its.... rather...amazing!

Rush, Savage & Beck would have a cow! :lol:

I hope to go see it- even just to see the FDR footage.

Moore is a very effective filmmaker.

Really? We have more guns then ever, no Cuba-style healthcare system and, despite all the awards lavished on Fahrenheit 9/11, George W Bush was reelected in 2004.

On the other hand, a couple of amateurs with no budget and armed only with a camcorder and a fur pimp-jacket, managed to take down ACORN.

Well, MM has dug up some very interesting historical stuff:

I heard part of an interview with him late last week on our local NYC/ tri-state public radio station.

One of the things they FOUND in their research on FDR, is some film footage that was lost in time, so to speak,
of FDR either proposing a new Bill of Rights or something similar--
to reign in the excesses of laize-faire Capitalism.

IN FACT Teddy Roosevelt >a Republican also spoke on what a "LIVING WAGE" should look like!
I've heard it- its.... rather...amazing!

Rush, Savage & Beck would have a cow! :lol:

I hope to go see it- even just to see the FDR footage.

To the contrary, Glenn Beck has devoted entire segments of his show to the Second Bill Of Rights and the Progressive ideas of Teddy Roosevelt.

I would guess that Michael Moore probably does not understand capitalism, given that he has previously displayed a rather simplistic approach to issues. This is a guy that thinks most people in Ireland supported Sinn Fein/IRA during the troubles. The only way to really understand how a capitalist system works, in my opinion, and I accept this may come as hubristic, is to actively trade the markets, preferably with your own money. There are few things more democratic than trading that I can think of, especially seeing as now it is much easier for small investors to do it, with the technological improvements we have see in recent years (though I say this with the proviso that the majority of small traders, probably the vast majority, lose money).

I haven't seen the film but I suspect that when he critiques capitalism he is really criticising monopolistic and oligopolistic practices - which should indeed be criticised and cracked down upon.

Having said that, he was right about the Buschco oligarchy.

Really? We have more guns then ever, no Cuba-style healthcare system and, despite all the awards lavished on Fahrenheit 9/11, George W Bush was reelected in 2004.

On the other hand, a couple of amateurs with no budget and armed only with a camcorder and a fur pimp-jacket, managed to take down ACORN.

artistically effective, INDY. his effectiveness in inspiring what might be called the Left Wing is at least, if not more, as effective in inspiring animosity on the right. politically, he's a wash. but from a film making perspective, he's very, very good at what he does. he's by far the most successful documentarian in history, and "Roger and Me" remains a brilliant film.

dude, you people have to get over ACORN. it's not much of a story, and the more you beat dead horses like this, the more you continue to look like a marketing movement.

I would guess that Michael Moore probably does not understand capitalism, given that he has previously displayed a rather simplistic approach to issues.

to spin this a bit, but is it kind of like you and religion?

also, when we point out the failures of capitalism, and the free-market true believers get all, "oh, but, see, if capitalism were done correctly, then it would be fine," they sound like Stalin apologists.

Back
Top Bottom