Canadian politics maybe getting interesting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fun Fact: Do you know who told me that the government fell in November 2005? Bono did. I was waiting in the GA line all day, so I was out of the loop as to what was happening in Ottawa. Then, during One, Bono mentioned that the government fell and we would be going to the polls. I was shocked, but not surprised. While my mind was processing that information, Bono said that we had to make sure that whomever is elected promise to help Africa's debt situation. That snapped me back to reality and I thought, "Oh, Bono, please just sing the song. :cute:"
:lol:

U2 concerts can be that way. Bono mentioned during the ZOO TV tour that people looked deflated when they showed video of Bosnia in the middle of the show. U2 has always been political so people shouldn't be surprised. When you go to a U2 concert you get both. I can't imagine a non-political U2 show.

Bono was also pissed off at Paul Martin for looking at taxpayers interests over Bono's. I remember Layton castigating Martin over Bono's comments. I'm thinking "ok Bono has his opinion but really he is a foreigner and there are social demands here in our own country. It's okay to disagree with Bono sometimes Layton."

Like question: have any of you lived out here for 10 plus years??? Do you have family in the oil industry?!? I'd love to know!

Well purpleoscar told us that living in a place is apparently irrelevant when making observations about the region.

I have no idea what having family in the oil industry has to do with anything. My profession actually is one of the single largest beneficiaries of the oil industry, so I am familiar enough with its logistics without needing a father to work on a rig.

And as an aside, no, you two are not the only Albertans here, and the rest don't all agree with you either.

HEY SCREW YOU Red Deer is kinda the bomb for bush parties,life and best buy #1 in the country!:p

Purpleoscar just let it go, We're the only Albertans on here and it looks like we will never win... Like question: have any of you lived out here for 10 plus years??? Do you have family in the oil industry?!? I'd love to know!

I'm from Saskatchewan, my brother lives in Edmonton, my father used to work on the oil rigs in northern Alberta and my mum has lived in B.C. for the past 20 yrs - I'm quite certain that qualifies me as a Westerner and I still tend to agree with the Easterners here :shrug:

Can we take you for New Zealanders?
:wink:

OhSnap-1.jpg

Stephane Dion is resigning on Wednesday at the caucus meeting (and may be gone as early as tomorrow).

It seems about 98% certain that Michael Ignatieff will become the Liberal leader by Wednesday.

Ignatieff is the son of Russian immigrants. He has a BA from the University of Toronto and a PhD from Harvard. He taught at Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, University of Toronto and Harvard and was the director of Harvard's Carr Centre for Human Rights Policy at the JFK School of Government before being elected an MP in one of Toronto's west end ridings. He speaks English, French and Russian and has published extensively.

What an elitist.

HEY SCREW YOU Red Deer is kinda the bomb for bush parties,life and best buy #1 in the country!:p

Purpleoscar just let it go, We're the only Albertans on here and it looks like we will never win... Like question: have any of you lived out here for 10 plus years??? Do you have family in the oil industry?!? I'd love to know!

Another (lifelong) Albertan checking in.

But, sorry, I'd pass on Red Deer, too.

Stephane Dion is resigning on Wednesday at the caucus meeting (and may be gone as early as tomorrow).

It seems about 98% certain that Michael Ignatieff will become the Liberal leader by Wednesday.

Ignatieff is the son of Russian immigrants. He has a BA from the University of Toronto and a PhD from Harvard. He taught at Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, University of Toronto and Harvard and was the director of Harvard's Carr Centre for Human Rights Policy at the JFK School of Government before being elected an MP in one of Toronto's west end ridings. He speaks English, French and Russian and has published extensively.

What an elitist.

That would be fantastic :up:
He'd never get elected in the U.S. :lol:

Where did you hear that? I've been reading at various sources, namely Globe & Mail, that Bob Rae is trying to change the voting selection so it would benefit him. God no :no:

Anyway, I like Ignatieff - at least he's willing to wait and see what will be in the budget before making any hasty decisions.
(and he's handsome to boot :reject: )

It seems most insiders don't believe Rae's proposal will fly.

Why do you say that?

By the way, I've also met him and came away impressed.

I was kind of kidding - I recall during the U.S. election many in this forum said a lot of Americans would rather vote for someone they could picture going for a beer over an intellectual who attended a good university.

I was kind of kidding - I recall during the U.S. election many in this forum said a lot of Americans would rather vote for someone they could picture going for a beer over an intellectual who attended a good university.

That line of thinking never made sense to me. If anything, I wouldn't want someone just like me to run the country. I'd want someone better and smarter so they can make the most informed decisions. It would make me feel better that the country is in capable hands.

By using that line of thinking you're basically reducing an election campaign to a popularity contest. I'm not naive, I know that you need to be likable in order to connect with the electorate. I'm just looking for a balance somewhere.

Two words: Sarah Palin. :yikes:

". . . where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the healthcare reform that is needed to help shore up our economy. Um, helping, oh -- it's got to be all about job creation too. Shoring up our economy, and putting it back on the right track. So healthcare reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, um, scary thing, but 1 in 5 jobs being created in the trade sector today. We've got to look at that as more opportunity. All of those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that."

How could you not be persuaded by such an overwhelming display of intellect? :confused:

:wink:

[/threadjack]

That line of thinking never made sense to me. If anything, I wouldn't want someone just like me to run the country. I'd want someone better and smarter so they can make the most informed decisions. It would make me feel better that the country is in capable hands.

By using that line of thinking you're basically reducing an election campaign to a popularity contest. I'm not naive, I know that you need to be likable in order to connect with the electorate. I'm just looking for a balance somewhere.

Another two : George Bush :yikes:

And I think it's a big factor in explaining why Bush was elected and not Gore (and possibly also in explaining his re-election)

i was hoping ignatieff would succeed martin initially, so i'm pleased with this turn of events. a very educated man indeed.

In a nod to the title of this thread, we are now worthy of Jon Stewart's ridicule hehe. He spent over 10 minutes of the Daily Show yesterday on "Provinces in Peril - Indecision Oh-Eh?" :applaud:

globeandmail.com: Being Michael Ignatieff

this man has fascinated me for some time, and the more i read about him the more i want to know.

quite literally, he'll make everyone else in parliament look like a fifth grader in terms of intellect but will that translate into political gains for himself and the liberal party? i hope so, but i have my reservations.

what interests me most about him at the moment are his views on the iraq war. what many people have been doing is foolishly painting him as being stupid about the whole thing. while i don't agree with him on it, his reasons for supporting it are far more complex than they give him credit for.

can an intellect of his calibre connect with the (stupid) masses? time will tell.

my girlfriend is friends with his daughter, and the stories i've heard are quite interesting... but probably not best served in writing on here.

what i would love more than anything is to see ignatieff tear harper into shreds.

i've got a hardon for intelligence, guys.

but will that make him a great leader?

in almost every sense, he is the polar opposite of sarah palin.

reading my last post, i'm not sure people can tell if i was serious or taking the piss.
i was serious... but i'm obviously a fan boy, so clarity and reason had to be avoided. ha.
ah...

yes.

like i said, i can't wait to hear the casual insults that refer to him as being "stupid". oh how i'll laugh.

My brother has seen him speak many times and really likes him (albeit in the academic sense).

I do fear that he's not ready to fight the schoolyard bully (Harper) the way that Rae would have. For example, right after that budget update was released, his immediate comment was to quote Aristotle. Now don't get me wrong, it was an extremely appropriate comment and it was even beautiful, but is that going to resonate with most people? I don't know.

Regarding Iraq, I thing he was wrong and I think he thinks he was wrong. It's not so much his stance that bothered me, it's his tendency to equivocate which I don't respond to so well.

BUT, let's be honest, he looks extremely presidential, like he was born to lead. He is also a very good public speaker and in times of such extreme economic unrest, I think that people want somebody who is smart and stable to lead them. The only thing I fear is that if/when they go to a general election, he is going to try to win by following the Obama approach, which would not be a great idea since he's not Obama and Harper isn't Bush.

I am fond of intellectuals though, so I do like him overall.

Back
Top Bottom