Canada heads to the polls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think that the resistance to Ignatieff stems from an anti-intellectual movement. All the party leaders are academics after all. It's really as simple as not connecting with the people - not even really inspiring his base. In fact, I dare say that much of the NDP's recent popularity is grounded in disaffected "soft liberals."

The left side of the country is looking for someone with a strong voice, and Micheal's is not being heard. And his staff knows this, as evidenced by his recent "rise up" shtick (which is embarrassing, I think, as it smacks more of desperation and political maneuvering than true passion.)

It does appear that Harper won't achieve his majority, and Layton is increasingly looking to become opposition leader. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the aftermath!

Both the conservatives and liberals will be reviewing their leadership options.

My riding is solidly conservative. There aren't even NDP, Green or independents running.

I don't think that the resistance to Ignatieff stems from an anti-intellectual movement. All the party leaders are academics after all. It's really as simple as not connecting with the people - not even really inspiring his base. In fact, I dare say that much of the NDP's recent popularity is grounded in disaffected "soft liberals."

The left side of the country is looking for someone with a strong voice, and Micheal's is not being heard. And his staff knows this, as evidenced by his recent "rise up" shtick (which is embarrassing, I think, as it smacks more of desperation and political maneuvering than true passion.)

Both the conservatives and liberals will be reviewing their leadership options.

I actually like Ignatieff (as well as the Liberal candidate in our riding) and would have no qualms about voting for them if I hadn't decided early on to let my leftist freak flag fly, and go NDP (I was 90% there before the election was called, and pushed the rest of the way after meeting our NDP candidate).

I was reading this article http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/29/that-jack-hes-the-mack this morning about his failure to connect with voters. The author says that in person, he's an engaging guy, but that it doesn't translate well to tv. I wonder if that's actually the case, or if Harper's 2 years of Ignatieff attack ads did the trick, but resulted in pushing potential Liberal voters toward Layton rather than to himself.

Thoughts?

eta - Oh my.

http://hilltimes.com/dailyupdate/vi...overnment_says_forum_research_poll_05-01-2011

I still don't think the NDP will form the minority, I think that when all is said and done, many people will regress to the mean and vote the way they normally do, but still, this is the most exciting federal election in my memory.

I was reading this article http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/29/that-jack-hes-the-mack this morning about his failure to connect with voters. The author says that in person, he's an engaging guy, but that it doesn't translate well to tv. I wonder if that's actually the case, or if Harper's 2 years of Ignatieff attack ads did the trick, but resulted in pushing potential Liberal voters toward Layton rather than to himself.

Thoughts?

I have met and spoken with Ignatieff and can attest that this is somewhat true. He is different in person, that's for certain. I don't think he's done a good job of reaching the electorate and convincing voters that the Conservatives' attack ads are not who he really is.

I also don't put much stock in polls. I've never been surveyed. but I'm sure there are some people who say one thing knowing they have intentions to vote differently.

So while I think that the NDP will make gains, I'm not sure if it will be as big as some are predicting.

I can't belive this thread involves both the phrases 'passion' and 'canadian politics'. Someone give me an anecdote of where passion was involved in Canadian politics and you can win a prize.

This isn't u2 Live at Red Rocks. Not the passion of the Christ.

I admire Iggys rise up speech but passion just doesn't translate well here.

On a personal level, Iggy is kick ass. He taught at Harvard for chrissakes. maybe him and canada ust don't mix. Too bad, because I like him.

I can't belive this thread involves both the phrases 'passion' and 'canadian politics'. Someone give me an anecdote of where passion was involved in Canadian politics and you can win a prize.

This isn't u2 Live at Red Rocks. Not the passion of the Christ.

I admire Iggys rise up speech but passion just doesn't translate well here.

On a personal level, Iggy is kick ass. He taught at Harvard for chrissakes. maybe him and canada ust don't mix. Too bad, because I like him.

I agreed with you about Ignatieff, I thought for a while that he could be a great leader. Maybe somebody with good and interesting ideas. But, when he got into the Canadian political machine I think he found that it served to his advantage to try and not present himself as an intellectual (due in large part to the years of attack ads, I think that is true). What we got was the "family pack" and a bunch of promises that go the same way as the NDP, but not quite as far. If the Liberals want to get back into the good graces of the Canadian people, they're going to have rethink their platform. And, yes, it would be nice to see a little passion. A little something to show that this person desires to lead, not just because it is leading, but because they think they have good ideas and could make their country a better place.
I know that sounds lofty, but why shouldn't we expect this of a potential prime minister? Must they be so cool and calculated that feeling is lost?
Iggy is using terms like "rise up" because they are words of passion. I just don't think he sold it.

So, I do take exception to your scoffing at the implication of passion in politics. These men and women aren't playing music at Red Rocks, they're supposed to be leading a country and building a democracy.

I think this is an election largely about personality and positivity and less so about policy.

My father is a good example - he is a (small "c") conservative generally, but he refuses to vote for the Conservatives because a) he can't stand Stephen Harper and b) he thinks doing so legitimizes their disregard for democracy and the rule of law. So you'd think that somebody like him would fall into the Liberal camp but instead he is voting for the NDP because he thinks Ignatieff is not a leader.

And there are lots of people out there with the same view. I also think that negative ads and campaigning are not as successful in Canada generally, and while the NDP could be thin on policy in places, they have essentially run a positive campaign compared to the others. Their leader wears funky sweaters and goes to Canadiens games and still knocks door to door in neighbourhoods. By contrast you have somebody who is perceived to be a professorial robot and somebody who won't answer more than 5 questions from the media per day and tosses people from his rallies. Is it any wonder that Layton is ahead personally anyway?

I live in what is probably the most leftist-leaning riding in Toronto, where the NDP will win without much trouble. I am considering voting for the Greens. I'll decide tomorrow.

The Greens have made their point about the environment and believe me it is a really good one. They have changed the agenda. But I really don't see May as a leader.

Some people are 'professional lefties' and May is such a person. Since Canada has First past the Post it really is going to be a wasted vote. Even though there is solid backing and support. Too bad really.

I agree with your fathers stance. The fact harper won't answer questions isn't he hasn't thought of answers. Or that of sceneraios that involve it. A very telling sign.

When the hell is his Coronation?

duceppe0429.jpg

Gilles tries to smile.

wow...some very interesting shifts in the dynamic tonight
as historical as it gets here in Canada

Whats so dorky about that?

Yeah I'm familiar with news organizations voluntarily not releasing projected winners until immediately after polls close in the respective state. But British Columbians can't know how Nova Scotia voted under penalty of law? That strikes me as a little silly.

...So are we looking at another Conservative minority government?

perhaps we are seeing the near destruction of one of the founding parties of this country; the "Natural Ruling Party". So far, it looks like Ignatieff may not even win his riding! Neither may Duceppe.

I'm very interesting in the outcome of all this

Tory majority. NDP official opposition. Libs and Bloc decimated. I even think Iggy might lose his riding!

I am tentatively alright with this, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little wary of a conservative majority. I really do worry about what they will do with such a majority.

But, I'm willing to be optimistic.

The message I take from Canadians here is that we don't want any risky economic measures, but we also don't want to neglect our social programs and duties.

Looks like Harper has finally won his Conservative majority. And where the hell did the NDP come from???? What an exciting night for Canadian politics, and this is coming from a strong Liberal supporter.

Its an agreed understanding. Kinda like an FBI warning above a movie.

BTW, Canadians are generally more gentlemanly less legalistic than the US. For better or worse.

an agreed silly understanding, then.

An opposition-dominated Commons committee has voted to find Stephen Harper’s government in contempt of Parliament – a historic first as parties gird for a possible election call later this week.

The move paves the way for MPs in the House of Commons to find the Harper government in contempt for stonewalling on the full costs of its tough-on-crime agenda including big prison expansions.

Well, looks like Harper got the last laugh. Did the whole contempt thing become a major issue?

Harper did have the last laugh. And my point as above is he really doesn't value democracy or a bunch of other concepts that many hold dear.

Contempt wasn't an issue, nor was the disruptions at the G8. Concepts such as parlimentary tradition are just afterthoughts for Harper and the economy.

don't be so quick to say that a majority of Canadians voted for him, unless 39% is a majority. I think that 60% of the country should be able to hold this guy to account.

now he is going to extend this bs afghan mission and we will have to suffer through crap about 'heros' all of the time

Ignatieff also wanted Canada to stay on in a non-military capacity.

How about everyone chill out and stop with the dire predictions? My facebook was full of moaning about the end of Canada. I think I'm just gonna walk on by that boat.

Yes! Good job Harper! :applaud: Stick to the economy and crime.

As Duceppe accidently stated: Mrs. Ignatieff :therethere: He can go plant trees somewhere like he used to do.

Jack Layton will have to find away to make Quebec happy and stay federalist. That will be his challenge before the next election cycle. Can the Bloc come back or are Quebecois tired of seperatist politics? We will see.

Yay no election for 4 years!

:crack: I'm not a happy camper this morning. Under 40% is not a majority. I am happy with the NDP and that my NDP representative kept his seat.

Back
Top Bottom