Can I rant? (Glorifying the Troubles on ST PATRICK'S DAY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strangefiction

Babyface
ST Patrick's day represents a lot of things. Its a day of celebration. A day for a lot of us to get sloshed and celebrate Ireland but as time has gone on a rather sad part of Irish history seems like its been forgotten.

Sometimes among songs from Punk rocks bands and traditional Irish songs you hear songs of the troubles and when I see some of the newer generation making light of songs like My Little Armalite & Come Out Ye Black and Tans etc etc I get a very sick feeling in my stomach. They have no idea what they are glorifying and its sad how quickly we forget history.

I've told a few people respectfully what those songs represent and while some feel guilty a lot of kids tell me I take things too seriously. Yes I take the death of innocent civilians in the name of resistance very seriously. The Good Friday agreement was signed in the late 90's and nothing much has changed except the bullets have stopped flying.

I'm American first but the Irish roots in my family run deep and most of my family is from the North. We still have friends in Ireland and even after all this time bringing up the troubles you get a lot of very saddening responses. Most Irish want to forget but the divisions are still there somewhat....And I fear will always be there.

We scattered my fathers ashes in Ireland a few years ago and we went within a week or so of Prince Charles visit to the Isle. We saw signs like "Pay for town reconstruction not Royal visits."

Going to the coast we saw fresh pro unionist resistance graffiti and it hit home that the feelings are not gone they are simply dormant.

Bono has touched on it a few times over the years about Americans ignorance over the troubles. And unfortunately its very true even now. I think the idea that we fought against the British empire and won its easy to get pulled into the idea of Ireland fighting against the crown but to romanticize the IRA is and will always be wrong.

Thank God Ireland for the most part has moved away from the past.

I knew a guy whose whole family supported the IRA. Each month they would send money to this pub in Northern NJ that was a front for the IRA.
The guy was also high up in the KKK. Let's just say I stayed clear of this guy.
I bet all those that romanticized the "troubles" never lived through it.
I was all for Irish independence, but not through violence.

Last edited:
I knew a guy whose whole family supported the IRA. Each month they would send money to this pub in Northern NJ that was a front for the IRA.
The guy was also high up in the KKK. Let's just say I stayed clear of this guy.
I bet all those that romanticized the "troubles" never lived through it.
I was all for Irish independence, but not through violence.

Bono - I know that one day my country will be united but not under the Armalite rifle

Back
Top Bottom