California Lifers Leaving Prison At Record Pace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
I didn't want to continue to derail the Boston thread with this sort similar topic of conversation, but I found this article a little interesting/potentially alarming:

California 'lifers' leaving prison at record pace

This is worth noting,

The few studies of recidivism among released lifers including a Stanford University report show they re-offend at much lower rates than other inmates released on parole and none has been convicted of a new murder.

Of the 860 murderers paroled between 1990 and 2010 that Stanford tracked, only five inmates committed new crimes and none were convicted of murder. The average released lifer is in his mid-50s. Experts say older ex-cons are less prone to commit new crimes than younger ones.

You don't see the sad irony in a headline that reads "California Lifers Leaving Prison At A Record Rate"?

One argument I've heard against the death penalty is that it costs more than a life sentence, well sure if a life sentence is closer to 30 years than 60.

One last point: recidivism rates of executed murders leaving prison... zero.

Parole is a completely separate issue, though. Especially when you consider the fact that probably every person arguing against the death penalty would argue that its natural replacement should be life without possibility of parole.

You don't need to ask me about the death penalty again. Just a disgusting institution propped up by conservative shitheads.

You don't need to ask me about the death penalty again. Just a disgusting institution propped up by conservative shitheads.

I'm not a big fan of the death penalty

but this case, even with a botched execution, does not impress me,
after doing just a little checking as to why he got the death penalty and if there is the slightest possibility of a wrongful or over zealous prosecution

nah, this guy is one that could sway in the other direction

To be fair, this is more "red state America" -- lots of states do tnhave the death penalty, and there's one state (TX) that's responsible for the majority of executions.

To steal another person's life from them is a hideous evil act.

If a person who murdered another human being is proven to be
guilty without any doubt, I support the death penalty.

How do we determine the difference between "beyond a reasonable doubt" and "without a doubt"? There is currently no mechanism for it in our justice system. What do you propose?

How do we determine the difference between "beyond a reasonable doubt" and "without a doubt"? There is currently no mechanism for it in our justice system. What do you propose?

Common sense

Is there any doubt that Nidal Malik Hasan murdered 13 people and injured dozens more?

What more evidence do you require to prove this act of evil?

Common sense

Is there any doubt that Nidal Malik Hasan murdered 13 people and injured dozens more?

What more evidence do you require to prove this act of evil?
I'm not sure how we implement a legal system for "common sense." Who decides it's obvious? How do we decide we're more certain that Nidal Malik Hasan is more guilty than Michael Ray Toney?

Back
Top Bottom