Bridging the divide in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varitek

Blue Crack Addict
I think that no matter what we disagree on here in FYM, we can all agree that America has become more and more divided over the last 8 years (and beyond). I could cite nasty campaigning and bigoted messages, or I could try to be less partisan and just cite the deep differences on the issues, the fact that Sarah Palin wasn't far off in discussing the "real" and "fake" America because it really does seem like there are two countries.

On election night Obama's speech showed incredible awareness of this, as did McCain's. I am also cheered by the incredibly positive reaction towards him by many who were McCain supporters, yet still scared of all those who shouted "terrorist" and "kill him" and booed during McCain's gracious speech. Where do we go from here? Can this be fixed just by the rest of us acting with dignity and respect for each other? By Obama trying to lead as president of everyone?

This obviously ties into so many issues - gay marriage, abortion, the "wedges" used to divide us further. The economy seems to have overwhelmed the wedge issues for a majority of voters, so will that be what brings us together? Is that enough?

I dunno where I'm going with this, really, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion to have, and also I needed an excuse to post this link:

from52to48withlove :: zefrank.com

11052008169.jpg

Photo%2045.jpg

from48.JPG

48to52.jpg

Photo_32.jpg

Last edited:
Well, for starters, what specifically are some of the divides most in need of bridging?

I will offer the point of view that the divide between 'Blue' and 'Red' is essentially false.

The real divide is, or should be, between statist and libertarian.

There's a divide between the sane and the insane in this country.

Problem is, each side thinks the other one is the side that's insane. ;)

Back
Top Bottom