Brexit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The markets will rebound. I am willing to make the bet that this, in the long term, ends up being like a Y2K in terms of the markets.

On a selfish note, this is a net posative for America
Bad for European elites, long term better for average British citizen, longer term much better for England.

it is not a loss or gain until you cash it out. and if you are an old bastard the cash out should not be a taxable event

On a selfish note, this is a net posative for America
Bad for European elites, long term better for average British citizen, longer term much better for England.

On a really really selfish note, I hope to watch the GBP nose dive some more into the 1.20s. I'll be the richest student in England with my fancy United States Dollar loan.

it is a positive for America because some capital will leave UK and European markets uncertainty and migrate to American markets.

it is a positive for America because some capital will leave UK and European markets uncertainty and migrate to American markets.

I say we ban all capital until we find out what's going on.

We don't need any more immigrants. That could be mooslim capital.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

it just struck me that Queen Elizabeth II could very likely be the last british monarch ever.

imagine if someone had said that in 2006.
Would this be a bad thing?
They should take the fortune and set up some tourist sites, hire some plain looking actors play the parts.

Last edited:

I think that's true as long as the dollar doesn't get too strong against the tanking currencies. Otherwise, we could end up like the Japanese market.

III, you mean?

Centuries too late.

what the fuck?

i know she's bound to stay out of politics but i'm kinda surprised she hasn't at least expressed an opinion either way about things that affect the foreign policy and stability of her kingdom like this.

I look forward to the pending global economic collapse and fully welcome a Mad Max land of awesome cars and leather as we all will scour the wastelands for fuel. Sure beats working at an office.

Is there a missing Elizabeth we don't know about?

The Phantom Monarch.

what the fuck?

i know she's bound to stay out of politics but i'm kinda surprised she hasn't at least expressed an opinion either way about things that affect the foreign policy and stability of her kingdom like this.

Settle down, I made a mistake.

But yeah, down with the monarchy etc. etc.

Come on, The Queen waited how long to make a statement on matters of national importance like Princess Di dying, and you expect her to make a statement about a tiny little thing like Brexit on the day it happens?

Settle down, I made a mistake.

But yeah, down with the monarchy etc. etc.

:lol: was just confused as shit by that man, it's all good

:lol:

In Vlad's defence, Lizzy has been in charge so damn long it feels like there've been at least two of her.

there have been two queen elizabeths quite recently. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_The_Queen_Mother

“Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!”

Your Republican nominee for President.

"no games!" - donald trump

Megan McCardle's commentary is on-point in many ways. (I'm a fan of hers in general, though I rarely agree with her completely.)

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-24/-citizens-of-the-world-nice-thought-but

"In many ways, members of the global professional class have started to identify more with each other than they have with the fellow residents of their own countries. Witness the emotional meltdown many American journalists have been having over Brexit.

A lot of my professional colleagues seemed to, and the dominant tone framed this as a blow against the enlightened “us” and the beautiful world we are building, struck by a plague of morlocks who had crawled out of their hellish subterranean world to attack our impending utopia.

But there’s a reason that the 19th century architects of superstates (now known simply as “states”) spent so much time and effort nurturing national identity in the breasts of their populace. Surrendering traditional powers and liberties to a distant state is a lot easier if you think of that state as run by “people like me,” not “strangers from another place,” and particularly if that surrender is done in the name of empowering “people who are like me” in our collective dealings with other, farther “strangers who aren’t.”

The EU never did this work. When asked "Where are you from?" almost no one would answer "Europe," because after 50 years of assiduous labor by the eurocrats, Europe remains a continent, not an identity. As Matthew Yglesias points out, an EU-wide soccer team would be invincible -- but who would root for it?

Elites missed this because they're the exception -- the one group that has a transnational identity. And in fact the arguments for the EU look a lot like the old arguments for national states: a project that will empower people like us against the scary people who aren’t."

Back
Top Bottom