Brexit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't wait for him to suggest that America should leave the EU too.

You are not too far off.

Capture.jpg

There's probably a lot of them in Pennsyltucky.
The majority of the state's population lives outside of there, so I'm not too worried.

I did have one uncle from central PA who said he would vote for Trump because he was sure that once he secured the primary, he'd work his way back to the center. That of course has not happened so I don't know where he stands.

Am I correct in understanding that Northern Irish citizens could vote for the United Kingdom to leave the EU, while still having the option to retain their own personal memberships to the EU due to their dual citizenship via the Good Friday Agreement?

Well crap. I'm devastated. My husband and I work at a UK university that is heavily dependent on EU students, EU staff, and EU partnerships and funding. We've been getting reports of some of our EU students receiving racial abuse today. It's just awful. I've not been to Scotland yet but it's looking more and more appealing...

Scotland seceding would still be a bad idea for them, an extraordinarily heavy cost to pay for nationalism. Are they going to leave and then reapply for entry to the EU, hoping to get onto the Euro even though they have little economic prospects on their own? That scenario would actually illustrate wonderfully a major problem with the EU: a willingness to take on states (e.g. Greece) that have no hope of catching up with the larger economies in the area.

What I keep thinking about the EU is that its main benefits can be had even if it didn't exist as a formal entity. There is no reason why Europe can't have free movement and free trade among sovereign states. It could do these things without the single currency and Euro central bank that have caused so much tension.

Am I correct in understanding that Northern Irish citizens could vote for the United Kingdom to leave the EU, while still having the option to retain their own personal memberships to the EU due to their dual citizenship via the Good Friday Agreement?

Yes this is true.

I have and Irish and a British passport and live in London so will simultaneously be an EU citizen and not and EU citizen. The same applies to anyone in the UK (inc N Ireland) with dual Irish/British citizenship.

Yes this is true.

I have and Irish and a British passport and live in London so will simultaneously be an EU citizen and not and EU citizen. The same applies to anyone in the UK (inc N Ireland) with dual Irish/British citizenship.

I just enjoy the idea that Northern Irish people who support a unified Ireland were allowed to fuck over mainland Britain without having it directly impact them.

I also think it's way too simple to say the pro-leave voters are all nationalist xenophobes. The campaign was ugly, but the issues are very complex. Just how are you going to integrate millions of migrants and refugees? There was just an example in the Swiss media the other day about a single mom working two jobs trying to get by and making less than an immigrant family from Ethiopia in which nobody works. Can one really blame people for getting angry?
Just today 4500 people were picked up in the Mediterranean. I want to help as much as the next person but how can this be sustainable long-term?

Today I am reminded of this passage:

“It may well be impossible for people who have lived and prospered under a given social system to imagine the point of view of those who feel it offers them nothing, and who can contemplate its destruction without any particular dismay.” ― Michel Houellebecq, Submission

I just enjoy the idea that Northern Irish people who support a unified Ireland were allowed to fuck over mainland Britain without having it directly impact them.

It's not very many people. And I'm not sure either vote fucks over mainland Britain. Either way, this referendum was England's fault.

I saw a mention of a Guardian article that claimed it seemed to be a fear of immigration driving the Leave vote, not immigration itself, that towns with recent immigration voted for Stay.

I poked around their site but it was hard to tell where to find that article. Anyone see links to that one?

My favourite comment of the day (so many to chose from) came from Wales, they voted for leave but already informed Westminster that now Wales will be missing out of EU money they expect England to make up for it.

From what I am reading, it seems a lot of the economic problems on the horizon from Brexit come down to the rest of the EU making an example of Britain, so as to deter other member states from following suit.

It would be a shame if sour grapes of that sort prevent the UK and EU from carrying on normal trade and financial activity. I think Brexit will only be economically problematic in the long term to the extent that political infighting allows it to be.

It's nothing to do with making an example out of anything.
The EU will be a bigger more important market to the UK than the other way around.
Negotiations will have to resemble this.
I'm sure the US and all other countries will act the same way.

From what I am reading, it seems a lot of the economic problems on the horizon from Brexit come down to the rest of the EU making an example of Britain, so as to deter other member states from following suit.

Plenty of other cute 'exit phrases' are out there from sizable parties in EU member states.

They'll probably wait awhile to see how Britain shakes out, before calling for their own votes.

It's nothing to do with making an example out of anything.
The EU will be a bigger more important market to the UK than the other way around.
Negotiations will have to resemble this.
I'm sure the US and all other countries will act the same way.

'Back of the queue' per the American President.

this is where the value of actively managed investments come in. my company hedged the shit out of every currency except USD and my RSP made money today.

all other times tho yea, total ripoff
My wife, who works for a much larger company , had something similar happen... and our overall portfolio took a slight hit, so we're good overall. My retirement fund lost just under 10%

it just struck me that Queen Elizabeth II could very likely be the last british monarch ever.

imagine if someone had said that in 2006.

Back
Top Bottom