Brexit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is astonishing. I really didn't think they'd do it; I thought that enough people would get cold feet in the polling booth and stick with the status quo. I'm especially aghast that this empowers the xenophobic fuckwittery of Farage & Friends.

Cameron leaves.
Scotland secedes. Maybe Northern Ireland.
EU in complete chaos and disarray.
Massive economic collapse in the UK.

Yep, Scotland's surely gone now. Literally every single district voted to stay in the EU.

I can't even begin to imagine how the North Irish situation is going to play out. That common border is valuable, and of course access to the EU courts is important to the Good Friday Agreement.

Farage literally just said "we've done it all without a bullet being fired"

Except for that time literally a week ago when a member of parliament was literally killed over it

Proof he is a disgustingly awful man.

maybe Morrissey will be so angry he'll call a Smiths reunion, opening with Satellite of Love

:lmao:

Let's play "Help the American understand" ....

What is driving all the talk about the UK breaking up now? Is it because if Scotland were to break away, they themselves could join the EU? And then N. Ireland might reunify because Ireland is in the EU?

Good time to visit. pound vs dollar best rate since 1985.

Markets hate uncertainty so it's going to be a crazy day. Hold onto your butts.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

What is driving all the talk about the UK breaking up now? Is it because if Scotland were to break away, they themselves could join the EU? And then N. Ireland might reunify because Ireland is in the EU?

Scotland now has reasonable grounds to run another independence referendum. Remaining in the EU was a valuable part of staying with the UK.

Northern Ireland leaving the Union Jack for the Republic over the EU is a pipe dream that supposedly I know nothing about.

This is astonishing. I really didn't think they'd do it; I thought that enough people would get cold feet in the polling booth and stick with the status quo.

this is absolutely what i expected too.

*my understanding* (from across an ocean as well) is that with the scotland independence vote being close a couple years ago the fact that all of scotland voted to stay in the eu is only going to push them towards independence. i've read that we can expect scotland to call another independence referendum relatively soon if the leave side won.

i can't say much about what wales and northern ireland will do but i've also read that it's less likely for them to go scotland's route.

but without scotland i really don't think you can carry on legitimately calling it the united kingdom or great britain.

Thanks, both.

This is all really fascinating. I sincerely hope it ends up being more fascinating than horrifying and calamitous.

Good news for me... while I may or may not have just lost my right to live and work in the UK, I probably just saved a couple thousand dollars in student loans and cost of living in England.

as a number of people have pointed out on Twitter, the people who have to live with this decision the longest overwhelmingly voted Remain. those about to drop off the perch voted Exit.

This is what happens when old white people get scared at election time. Take note and fucking vote, America.

This is what happens when old white people get scared at election time. Take note and fucking vote, America.

What I'll mark under the fascinating-and-potentially-dangerous file is how we can draw a lot of parallels to similar divides in other countries. Old vs young, 20th century vs 21st, nationalism vs globalism, urban vs rural, etc.

Glossing over thousands of unique and culturally specific circumstance, to be sure. But it's hard not to view this in the context of the rise of Trump, the rise of the Austrian right, the successes of National Front in France, etc.

But, maybe it's no biggie in the long run? The world is so interconnected to begin with, and cities like London (and NYC and Paris and Frankfort and ...) seemingly belong to the globe now.

I'm curious to see who voted for what and where. I'm hungry for demographics from which to draw sweeping conclusions!

What seems like the safest generalization is that global trade has produced its share of losers and discontents. Through no fault of their own.

Maybe? We'll see.

I realize I'm doing massive generalization, but hey. I'm in fascinated knee-jerk mode tonight. Thanks, Twitter!

I should go to bed, but I'm actually watching CNN for the first time in at least a year and can't seem to tear myself away.

Are there Brexit Bros? Should I book a trip to London for my husband's big birthday coming up this fall since the pound will now be like the peso?

Decisions!

Can we now call David Cameron the worst PM in at least modern history?

I used to respect the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom