Brexit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, Theresa May made that clown foreign minister? And fired George Osborne?

Jesus, what an awful way to begin her term. And I thought she was reasonable.

Really. Boris Johnson. BORIS JOHNSON. I thought we were out of the woods with him.

Europe is no longer allowed to pretend that the US is the crazyland of Western democracy, unless we elect Boris's buffoon-pal Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Wait, Theresa May made that clown foreign minister? And fired George Osborne?

Jesus, what an awful way to begin her term. And I thought she was reasonable.

Really. Boris Johnson. BORIS JOHNSON. I thought we were out of the woods with him.

Europe is no longer allowed to pretend that the US is the crazyland of Western democracy, unless we elect Boris's buffoon-pal Trump.

I thought she was the furthest thing from reasonable, but I know little of her. Just what I've read on her voting record.

She reminds me of Dolores Umbridge.

I thought she was the furthest thing from reasonable, but I know little of her. Just what I've read on her voting record.

She reminds me of Dolores Umbridge.

I did almost no research on her before today so I suppose it's not terribly surprising that the little research (i.e. read 25% of her Wikipedia page) I did gave me the wrong image.

Hem-hem.

tumblr_oab4gp8uve1qienp2o1_1280.jpg

so, unless the decision is overturned by the Supreme Court Appeal, it looks like Parliament will have to decide on Article 50, good news for democracy at least as any kamikaze decisions will be scrutinized and debated...

the countdown is on.

i don't think england and scotland are coming out the other side of this united anymore. it'll be interesting to see how the coronation of george vii (charles) goes without any scottish involvement - the last time an english sovereign was crowned without simultaneously being crowned sovereign of scotland was elizabeth the first in 1559.

the only monarch they could crown with any kind of conceivable historical legitimacy would be from the stuart dynasty. the last stuart king, james ii/vii was deposed in 1688 by his protestant daughter and her dutch husband because he was a catholic and was raising his newborn son (the heir to the throne) as a catholic too. the last direct descendant of this royal line of the stuarts died over 200 years ago. the most senior member of the house of stuart now, who is not a direct descendant of any scottish or british monarch, is the duke of bavaria.

so unless the 83 year-old duke of bavaria ends up becoming king francis ii of scotland, they're going to be a republic.

There's really no need for monarchies in the 20th century, let alone the 21st. I would hope not.

not a chance in hell a newly fully-independent scotland is going to ask a monarch who rules from london to be their head of state.

not a chance in hell a newly fully-independent scotland is going to ask a monarch who rules from london to be their head of state.

Why not? It's not like there's not a precedent for it - joining the Commonwealth doesn't seem like a radical proposition.

Even more interesting to me than Scotland is Northern Ireland. Nobody's going to particularly like a closed border with the Republic, I imagine, but there's no way around it from the UK's standpoint if the Republic is in the EU and has the EU's freedom of movement policies.

What's more important on that topic is that there's not exactly a negative sentiment towards the queen in Scotland. It's indeed positive. They're still very much so... British.

what on earth would be the point of seceding from a kingdom only to turn right back around and ask that king to be keep being your king?

i accept that i could be wrong but i'd be quite surprised if scotland turned into anything other than a parliamentary democracy if it actually goes through with secession. sure, they could certainly join the commonwealth (and remain in the eu) for the trade and historic ties, but that doesn't require the queen to be the head of state. south africa and india are both presidential republics in the commonwealth.

Tradition? The British are incredibly traditional. Inclusive of the Scottish. That's just how people are, there. They absolutely love the queen, for reasons I still don't understand.

Tradition? The British are incredibly traditional. Inclusive of the Scottish. That's just how people are, there. They absolutely love the queen, for reasons I still don't understand.

as a Brit, i think the Queen is lovely, but the monarchy is just completely outdated and excessive in this day and age - i would be happy for the monarchy to end after Lizzie passes - really wouldn't be bothered about Charles taking over tbh

i think Britain is fairly split over the monarchy...

charles grew up in the environment of "the crown" and has waited long enough that he'll definitely be king, unless he dies before his mother does. as far as william and george go, i'm not entirely sure either of them will be king, although i think it is more likely than not that the monarchy is here to stay until it stops making so much money for britain.

brexit is utter, utter madness.

the UK is in complete shambles with the political landscape a clusterfuck of toffs trying to rip apart the state, rivalled only by labour and their complete inept leader.

a terrible shame, i see no positive way out of this. keep in mind that within 2 years, the uk will have had to establish the following:

a) a new economic pact with the EU, requiring the vast majority of EU members to sign off on

b) a solution the the northern ireland border with the republic

c) a small matter of the tens of billions of pounds the UK is presently obligated to pay the EU in the form of existing and ongoing projects (infrastructure initiatives, etc), pensions, etc

and nevermind many other "smaller" issues such as the fact that so much of existing UK law (such as regulatory measures on health and safety, etc) is mirrored on EU law, sensitive government data sharing with regards to terrorism/threats from Russia, etc...

at the end of the day, i expect no deal to be put in place and that WTO rules on tarrifs will be in place. this doesn't benefit anyone.

argh. absolutely fucking stupid...

i'm sure this has already been posted, but this makes for interesting reading: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...eat-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

as for the monarchy in scotland, should they leave, there has been a fair bit of talk of sturgeon and co holding a referendum on it.

i think that's relatively fair, even though referendums (and indeed elections) are typically decided by cretins, morons and douchebags.

Watching Theresa May nearly get laughed out of Parliament for saying that she has "listened very carefully to what has been said" and claiming there was "broad support" for her Brexit plan was pretty entertaining.

Were it not for the Trump presidency, this would be the greatest slow motion disaster in modern political history.

Theresa May's biggest error was throwing in the notion and entertaining the prospect of a 'no deal' at the start of her premiership. From the very outset of the referendum result it should have been made clear that 'no deal' would not be an option due to the horrific economic consequences it would produce. But to placate her back benchers she has left it on the table. And we're in the situation, merely three months or so from 'exit day' where no deal is still a possibility. And that is really scary.

You hope that she will come to her senses and make sure, under any circumstance, that no deal won't happen and that in the cold light of day the choice becomes simple. Either take the deal that is now on the table or eradicate Article 50 and stay in the EU. Any talk of going back to Brussels to renegotiate and get further gains or to get a 'better deal', from both May and Corbyn, only serves to delay the process longer and with it make the prospect of no deal more possible.

The Tory backbench obviously want a no deal so they can impose their radical agenda - a USA plus that would make even Trump blush what with its privatised healthcare,protectionism galore along with a desire to see the social front move back to the days of when gay marriage and abortion was illegal and our authorities were aggressively racist and sexist.

However, you sense Corbyn wants a no deal so he can impose a more radical agenda in amidst economic and political chaos - Venezuela plus. Remember, that man has spent most his life getting off on romanticised imagery of social and economic chaos and red flag waving extremists rising up and overthrowing the establishment...all predicated from the foundations of his own private school upbringing of course. Thankfully, his MPs are wiser than he is and would never allow something like that to happen.

But as the clock ticks closer to exit day it's obvious that we're not being led by politicians. As disparaging as that profession has become in recent years, it is too kind a label to tag onto these individuals. We are being led by psychopaths who actually see opportunity in all this chaos. That's the most shameful thing in all this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom