Breaktime Whatever Number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Just a break. Answer if you'd like.....

1. Where do you go to discuss things besides fym?

2. What part of the newspaper do you read first? What part do you never read?

3. Describe a moment when you had an epiphany.

4. Describe a moment when you stopped believing in something.

5. What is your greatest fault in/your greatest contribution to fym?

6. If you left a religion, is there anything you miss from it and if so, what?

7. What have you gained from the advances in technology? What have you lost?

8. Do you speak another language other than your native tongue?

9. What is your most natural way of learning something?

Huffington Post, hence why I'm not pleased about their new comments policy.

I don't read newspapers

I've had a lot. I guess when I realized that I was holding to anger far past the expiration date. I was so figuratively struck by lightning, I could say I literally was.

When I was in high school, I realized that not everyone is genuinely nice and many have a ulterior motives. A black cloud hung over me for many years, and still comes around now and then.

My greatest contribution is interest in a wide range of topics, and not being afraid to start threads about them. My weakest? Other than overreacting too much? :D

I kind of left Catholicism in a way that I stopped attending mass. I did miss feeling like I was part of a tribe, and I had to be careful that I didn't cross myself during prayer services at other Christian gatherings so I wouldn't draw attention to myself.

Meeting people and sharing ideas I wouldn't have done any other way. Plus finding jobs, blogging, so many other ways. But I feel that my social skills haven't improved since I first went online in high school.

No, but I wish

Unfortunately, diving in without reading the directions or the how-to booklet. In life, I actually research more and I'm results oriented.

1. Friends, certain co-workers. Nowhere online.

2. Crossword puzzle. But I haven't done one in a couple years.

3. Can't really think of anything too interesting off the top of my head.

4. I figured out Santa Claus wasn't real when I was 4.

5. Greatest fault was coming into fym in the first place. I haven't contributed anything yet.

6. Not applicable.

7. Gain: ease of access to information. Loss: zomg the power is out, what am I going to do!?

8. Sometimes. Mostly I just read and write and eavesdrop on conversations, though.

9. Reading about it if it's informational, doing it if it's an actual thing to be done.

These remind me of the quizzes on the 'bulletin board' that I always used to do on Myspace back in the day.

Twitter, facebook, superthread, occasional conversation with friends who aren't complete idiots

Usually sport, but quite often news/opinion as well. The gossip pages (which is strange, because I used to read them).

Getting praise from higher-ups at work.
Thinking about homeless people who don't have the resources to deal with mental health issues.

Repeated scandals over the years have brought sports stars down from the pedestals I put them on.

Not knowing nearly enough about most issues/talking more about Australian-specific stuff with the likes of Axver, Kieran, vlad etc

I am baptised, but I don't think I was ever really part of the religion, even though I attended a Catholic school, went to Mass, ate the Eucharist, etc. I've moved further away from it since leaving high school, and don't really miss much. Taking Theology in high school was real interesting though.

Just a ridiculous amount. For example last night I was at a sports medal ceremony and I got along quite well with a bunch of opposition journos I'd never met simply because of Twitter. I use technology an awful lot

I studied Italian for over a decade... but I've lost my ability for it in recent year :(

Hands-on.

just political stuff or anything? political stuff is usually facebook or in person.

i don't have time to read as much as i'd like to, but when i do, i go in order. never read the stock portfolio shit.

to try to do a bit more of the forgiving and forgetting. i may not talk to them anymore, but telling them i forgive them is what's important.

shit has made me stop believing that friends exist in this world.

i'm sure most would say that i contribute at all is my greatest fault. but i'd like to think i have a unique viewpoint that i bring to the table.

i never have

the ability to talk to a computer screen in my room instead of being alone with my thoughts. i've lost a lot of free time.

i'd hope that people think i speak german, as it's one of my majors in school. if not, well phooey.

having something broken down into parts and explained to me like i'm an idiot, but not in a condescending manner. and to bring it all home, try an activity to reinforce the learning of the material. if all else fails, plagiate.

having something broken down into parts and explained to me like i'm an idiot, but not in a condescending manner. and to bring it all home, try an activity to reinforce the learning of the material. if all else fails, plagiate.

Haha this is me too! Especially true given I've just moved out of home. I had to ring mum to ask her how to make spagbol lol

The only way I can learn a damn thing is to read the same account of it four or five times from different sources. Then it sticks. Maybe.

1. Where do you go to discuss things besides fym? reddit

2. What part of the newspaper do you read first? What part do you never read? I only read cnn.com these days - I start with world news and usually avoid the Entertainment section

3. Describe a moment when you had an epiphany. Can't say I've ever had one. I learn and change my mind gradually.

4. Describe a moment when you stopped believing in something. Same as #3

5. What is your greatest fault in/your greatest contribution to fym? My greatest fault that I can sometimes use an extreme example to make a point - and this can hurt feelings. I'm not sure what I contribute other than being a voice that leans "conservative" on many of the hot button issues (which facilitates discussion...)

6. If you left a religion, is there anything you miss from it and if so, what? I left the Southern Baptist denomination. I still go to a non-denomination church with my wife, but I borrow a little something from the Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants in my own practice.

7. What have you gained from the advances in technology? What have you lost? A gained career (I've been in IT for about 20 years). I lost/miss board games.

8. Do you speak another language other than your native tongue? I took Latin in college. I try to teach myself Spanish every now and then...

9. What is your most natural way of learning something? Read, read, read...eventually something sticks...

I prefer face to face discussion with friends and colleagues.

I take the LA Times and read it inside out (whatever section is in the center, I read first, ending with the Main section). I usually give the Sports page the least amount of attention. I also scan through on-line versions of the NY Times, Washington Post, NPR, CNN and Time. I find it is better to review (i) multiple sources and (ii) sources that have an opposing political bent as it helps me distinguish between fact and editorial commentary in an article.

Aside from coming to faith, everything else has been a process.

No monumental moment. Life, as a learning experience, necessarily involves a cessation in believing one thing and understanding something else.

My goal is to provide reasoned analysis to any given subject free from partisan political narrative. My fault is getting caught up in the repetitive political narrative and responding when I should ignore.

Born again since 1988.

I’ve gained quick access to information. The downside is that I am no longer tested in deductive reasoning skills needed when doing a manual, tactile search through books. Google does too much thinking for us.

Limited Spanish and Japanese.

I am a tactile learner and work better turning a page (with pen and paper) rather than scrolling down a screen or listening to an information source.

I’ve gained quick access to information. The downside is that I am no longer tested in deductive reasoning skills needed when doing a manual, tactile search through books.

It's interesting you point this out. I've been thinking about this since watching the movie Se7en again. Remember the part when Morgan Freeman goes through library and gathers a stack of books and does his research on the seven deadly sins? It was a statement to the very point you are mentioning - the importance of old school, arduous, but ultimately more thorough deductive reasoning skills. This is compared to Brad Pitt's character who relies on Cliff's Notes (or today he would probably do a few Google searches and read the headlines to absorb the gist of it).

My kids still bring home those fat and colorful Biology textbooks and they have to beg me to give them back...

occasionally with friends, if we're talking about politics. but i've found the older i get the less interested i am in discussing the issues, unless it's with someone who is much more informed than i am about a topic (i.e., listening to someone tell me about local DC politics, or hearing what it's like to actually be a gay man living in Moscow). i find it's really not productive, and i can also find myself getting heated or angry, so it's just not worth it. occasionally i'll get into a discussion on Facebook, but it's always someone else's page. i try to keep mine free of politics.

i almost never read newspapers anymore, though i used to. back when i had a longer metro ride, i'd read the "Express," which is the free, abbreviated version of the WaPo. when it comes to websites, i go to the WaPo, NYT, WSJ, and several different blogs. i tend to read arts/entertainment, then news, then opinion, and then local news. i also make it a point to read lots of right wing websites so i get a variety of opinions, but reading the comments section is viscerally terrifying and exciting, like you just can't look away. i get most of my hard news from NPR, and i'll sometimes watch MSNBC for entertainment.

hmmm, not too many moments of epiphany i'm afraid. i've had profoundly affecting experiences, good and bad, and the usually result in existential crises about life and death and the human condition. i daily confront the issue of violence and the worst of human behavior, but i can't think of a single moment that's changed everything.

i am, however, very skeptical of these moments, of any kind. to me, having the alcoholic's proverbial "moment of clarity" leads to a fundamentalist mindset whereby everything that follows said moment is shaped and bent in order to fit through the prism of that experience. i'm deeply suspicious of certainty and the inability to process ambiguity.

again, no real moments, just a gradual process or a gaining of understanding as one becomes an adult and more mature. lots of childhood heros have crumbled, including the most important ones of all, and revealed themselves to be nothing more than struggling, flawed, decent human beings, just like the rest of us. the same can be said of institutions. there's both disappointment and also relief in finding out how imperfect we all are, and nothing is more admirable than those that get up every day and do the best they can with what the have.

fault: i can be quick to anger, i can be too quick with snark, i often post really quickly without re-reading and occasionally regret what i've posted

contribution: i don't think i'm ever boring, i think i'm able to spark discussion, and i think i'm able to both think and feel through an issue

i don't think i ever really "left" catholicism, but i do miss the feeling of being part of a congregation engaged in a weekly ritual. there's something beautiful and comforting about it.

i've gained access to a wide variety of perspectives and news. we can read newspapers from Israel to India to Indiana. we can also see any part of the globe we want, there's literally almost no factual question you can't have answered in seconds.

i've lost the ability to turn off. i have to ban myself from my laptop at night or else my brain keeps firing rapidly long past bedtime. my reading is broader, but shallower. and the scattershot nature of "links" doesn't help my mild ADD. i'm very much like, "squirrel!"

at one point i spoke very simple French reasonably well. a lot of that is gone.

i'm a big picture person. i need the big picture and then the details gradually fall into place. tell me the overarching principle or goals, and then everything will fall into place for me. i can't work from detail alone. i'm a very strong ENFP:

Myers-Briggs description

ENFPs are initiators of change, keenly perceptive of possibilities. They energize and stimulate others through their contagious enthusiasm. They prefer the start-up phase of a project or relationship, and are tireless in the pursuit of new-found interests. ENFPs are able to anticipate the needs of others and to offer them needed help and appreciation. They bring zest, joy, liveliness, and fun to all aspects of their lives. They are at their best in fluid situations that allow them to express their creativity and use their charisma. They tend to idealize people, and can be disappointed when reality fails to fulfill their expectations. They are easily frustrated if a project requires a great deal of follow-up or attention to detail.

Champions delight in novelty. They are optimistic, enthusiastic, and vivacious, craving expressions of strong emotion. With a dramatic flair, they share their experiences with others, hoping to reveal some universal truth or win others over in support of a cause. Attuned to possibilities, Champions scan their environment, probing the emotions, needs, and motivations of others. This sensitivity sometimes conflicts with their intense drive for personal authenticity. Spontaneous and personable, they attract others to their company. Champions (ENFP) are full of energy and can spend great amounts of time discussing ideas and possibilities with others. They always look to find meanings in the world, and are more likely to be the champion of causes rather than of individuals. Living fully in this way is extremely important to them and it is their nature. Champions observe all that is going on around them and are quick to bring peace to any unpleasant interaction. They are not afraid to speak up and defend what they think is right and correct, just, or fair.

ENFP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i'm a big picture person. i need the big picture and then the details gradually fall into place. tell me the overarching principle or goals, and then everything will fall into place for me. i can't work from detail alone. i'm a very strong ENFP:

You know - I used to ignore the myers-briggs stuff, but over time I've learned that it helps me understand/relate to other people. It's not perfect science - but I think there's something to it.

You know - I used to ignore the myers-briggs stuff, but over time I've learned that it helps me understand/relate to other people. It's not perfect science - but I think there's something to it.

Someone told me its not a measure of who you are, but an indication of what you like and are good at.

I think that's accurate.

I was obsessed with the Myers-Briggs tests back in college, when I was trying to figure out my major and also who the hell I was. I took the test so often that I think I came up with five different results, because I would do something that didn't fit one result so I took the test again thinking I made a mistake somewhere.

Nowhere, really. Lately Facebook has been filled with things, but it's even starting to bug me so I'll stop. I don't mind real life chats, but I don't really do those often.

Top stories, world news, national. I never do sports or comics. Not really celebrity etc either.

I had some kind of weird actual one a few years ago. I won't bore you all with details, but fatigue caused me to have a really bizarre thing at about 3am. I was pregnant and suffering from a long list of complications. It was so, SO hot and I couldn't sleep as usual. I went to the bathroom and suddenly this blurry light seemed to appear and I felt relief. Suddenly, I felt it would all be ok. 3 years on, he is doing ok :) you'd have to look closely to realise what kind of start he had, lol.
Another was when I went from being agnostic to atheist. That struggle to find religion just vanished, and I relaxed. And I didn't care anymore. I felt free. I think it was the opposite to what born agains feel. I'm not worried about it being right anymore. I still don't 'know', obviously, but I am relaxed in genuinely thinking there is nothing. We are so microscopically small and that is phenomenal in this unmeasurable vastness.

I've had others, I'm sure, but they are important.

See epiphanies, lol.

Greatest fault is joining. I left for a while though. You're welcome. Lol

Never had a religion. I used to want one so I could feel that love and community and all that. But I've already got all that.

I gained an insulin pump. The last 28 years of my life with diabetes have seen soooo many changes, it's been amazing. And while I am resigned to being a slave to pharmaceuticals, I am now on one injection every three days instead of 5 per day. THAT kicks all kinds of arse.

I speak fluent bogan.

I love the value of a great teacher. I learn best when I am being taught by someone, with discussions, reading, listening, watching. Interaction.

1. Where do you go to discuss things besides fym? Facebook mainly, although I never bring up topics myself. Like Irvine I tend to avoid bringing up political issues on Facebook but I may join an ongoing discussion. I actually don't like to discuss politics, religion etc face-to-face except with certain people. I don't like to upset people and I tend to look for common ground whenever I can rather than highlighting differences. There are a few people: my wife, and couple of close friends (a few of which are more conservative than I--something I value deeply) who I feel I can get into those kinds of discussions, and then it is very rewarding.

2. What part of the newspaper do you read first? What part do you never read? We get the Columbus Dispatch three days a week and most of the time I never look at it. When I do, I tend to look at the front page first and then skip over to Arts and Leisure. I get most of my news from NPR which I listen to in the car and Time magazine which I've had a subscription to for the past twenty years or so. I also check to see what people are talking about here in FYM and I get e-mail updates from The Week and The Huffington Post which I read daily.

3. Describe a moment when you had an epiphany. This question and the following one were why I delayed answering these questions as long as I did. I just wasn't sure of the answers. I remember the moment when my faith experience with Jesus became real to me--the spring of 1994. Also in the spring of 1994 I finally woke up to how emotionally unhealthy a friendship I'd had for the past few years had been for me and I let that friendship go. I had an epiphany this past June when I realized that teaching really is my calling and my passion.

4. Describe a moment when you stopped believing in something. I don't know that there's ever been a moment. It's always a gradual process. My personal beliefs about some fundamentalist beliefs about the Bible are very different from the standard teachings of my church, but those changes have been gradual. I do remember that reading "Under the Banner of Heaven" in the mid-2000s shook my faith to it's core, though ultimately I ended up with a stronger faith in working through that. It's around that same time that the U2 albums "Pop" and "Zooropa" went suddenly from being unlistenable to among my favorites.

I know it's a bit vain, but I think I'm a pretty good contributor to FYM. I can't think of any real faults :reject: I'm sure others can quickly identify some and that'll bring me down a few notches. My greatest contribution is one of my greatest strengths in general, my ability to see things from others point of view.

I haven't left a religion, and what changes I've made in my personal belief I don't miss.

The ability to stay in touch with people that I love and appreciate from all the many stages of my life. I'm terrible at staying in touch and Facebook is deeply rewarding to me because it allows me to keep wonderful people in my life. Like Irvine I've lost the ability to "turn off." Although I wouldn't say that I've lost it so much as that technology enables that. I've never been very good at just sitting still and letting my mind be. If there wasn't technology I'd just always have a book at the ready so that in any "down" moment, my mind would be occupied. This can't be be good, I'm sure.

8. Do you speak another language other than your native tongue? I wish. The only thing I wish more is that I played a musical instrument.

9. What is your most natural way of learning something? Reading. Academically, that's how I best retain information. Practically, I am a big fan of reading and following instructions. I'm terrible with anything hands-on. I have found that I tune out very quickly if someone is talking (unless they are entertaining). My teachers, professors, educational superintendent etc have always found me annoying because I was always the guy with a magazine open on my lap during class (in the old days) or sneaking a glimpse at Slate.com on my phone or the laptop on which I'm ostensibly taking notes (these days).

A break? I've been on holidays for years.

Many, well one, place.

None and none. I read online and am directed secondhand, if at all, to newspapers.

No.

No.

No.

Well, I didn't, so, I don't know.

A bit, not much.

No.

Dissection.

We have very long and rewarding political and economic discussions at work. Pub gatherings with certain friends lend themselves to conversations in FYM territory. As for online, Facebook occasionally.

I don't read a physical newspaper, but in terms of online, I'll skim the headlines, see if anything leaps out, repeat for the opinion sections, then thoroughly scour sport before heading back for an in-depth look at the national, international, and opinion sections.

I never read the awful fucking car sections. Ugh, newspapers for bogans.

I like Irvine's answer.

My process out of believing in anything was always gradual, with no single moment I can pinpoint.

I like to think I contribute meaningfully to Aussie/Kiwi stuff. I know a bit of a fault of mine is an outright refusal to engage with any right-wing views I perceive to be extreme.

I had a brief but intense flirtation with Christianity, in which I passed through various forms before emerging out the other side the same atheist I was beforehand. I miss absolutely nothing about religion. What a complete waste of my time.

My research interests in my career are only possible thanks to technological advances. Whether I consider that a gain or a loss depends on my mood and how well work is going!

Unfortunately not.

Reading, absolutely. Nothing else even compares.

Back
Top Bottom