Brazilian President Blames Whites for Financial Crisis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Brazil's president blamed "white people with blue eyes" for the world economic crisis and said it was wrong that developing countries should pay for mistakes made in richer countries, sparking accusations of racism.

President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who has criticized the European Union and the US for tariffs on products from developing countries and has advocated a bigger say for developing countries in decisions on the world economy, pointed a finger to Western bankers.

"This crisis was caused by the irrational behavior of white people with blue eyes, who thought they knew everything and now show they know nothing," Lula da Silva said after a meeting with the UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown in the country's capital of Brasilia.

Lula da Silva's comments were widely reported in the press drew charges of racism from message boards and CNBC viewers.

When challenged about his claims, Lula said: "I only record what I see in the press. I am not acquainted with a single black banker," according the Guardian newspaper.

Brazil President Blames 'White People' for Crisis - AOL Money & Finance

OK, so yes, white people run the banks and they screwed up. But is it really necessary to make that comment? Considering the fact that there are plenty of blue eyed whites living in Brazil, that makes Lula's comment down right stupid.

I've never looked for their eye color. Interesting observation. :hmm:

Are they blond and tall as well?

Arrr, zhat's gut genes. ;) Just don't become a banker.

Does that mean, if all Wall Street bankers etc. had been not white and not blue-eyed the world would be in good shape these days?

Considering the fact that there are plenty of blue eyed whites living in Brazil, that makes Lula's comment down right stupid.
Had he been speaking as the leader of a much smaller, poorer and ethnoracially homogeneous country, then I'd likely just think, 'Eh, this is just another way of angrily protesting how this crisis originated with the wealthy and supposedly oh-so-financially-savvy Western countries, yet the poorest countries will almost certainly pay the highest price in terms of human suffering.' Which, after all, is true. But yeah, when the leader of a huge, economically mid-tier and resource-rich, and very ethnoracially diverse country (with deep class divisions) says something like this, it's hard not to hear in it an ugly style of populism with potentially dangerous reverberations in his own country.

President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who has criticized the European Union and the US for tariffs on products from developing countries and has advocated a bigger say for developing countries in decisions on the world economy, pointed a finger to Western bankers.

When challenged about his claims, Lula said: "I only record what I see in the press. I am not acquainted with a single black banker," according the Guardian newspaper.

As a member of the group Lula is attacking, I say we should include Brazil in the "Axis of Evil" and push for regime change.

058powell_228x289.jpg
(not a banker or money changer)

Lula would do well to remember not everyone with blue eyes is evil!

Had he been speaking as the leader of a much smaller, poorer and ethnoracially homogeneous country, then I'd likely just think, 'Eh, this is just another way of angrily protesting how this crisis originated with the wealthy and supposedly oh-so-financially-savvy Western countries, yet the poorest countries will almost certainly pay the highest price in terms of human suffering.' Which, after all, is true. But yeah, when the leader of a huge, economically mid-tier and resource-rich, and very ethnoracially diverse country (with deep class divisions) says something like this, it's hard not to hear in it an ugly style of populism with potentially dangerous reverberations in his own country.

The comment was indeed unfortunate, but you know, even if Brazil is a mid-tier economy, poverty is still rampant as it is in the rest of South America to a higher or lesser degree depending on the country. So I think it can still fit the "angry protest" profile.

I live in Argentina, which though not as industrialised and not as heterogeneous racially, is similar to Brazil to an extent. In this part of the world, while middle and upper classes (in general white) like to think of themselves as "Europeans" or "Americans" (from the US), most people wouldn't read such a comment as racist. In fact paradoxically they wouldn't take it as being in any way related to them. Maybe conservative minorities would react to the populist overtone, media would play the politically correct card, but most people would approve the criticism to the first world countries - since "the greed of the West" has always been, not so mistakingly, a favourite scapegoat to the socioeconomic troubles these countries have always lived with.

As a member of the group Lula is attacking, I say we should include Brazil in the "Axis of Evil" and push for regime change.

:lol:

I live in Argentina, which though not as industrialised and not as heterogeneous racially, is similar to Brazil to an extent. In this part of the world, while middle and upper classes (in general white) like to think of themselves as "Europeans" or "Americans" (from the US), most people wouldn't read such a comment as racist. In fact paradoxically they wouldn't take it as being in any way related to them.
Interesting...well maybe this is a case where looking at it from an American perspective is causing me to misread things a bit. When I was in college, I did have a few friends who were foreign students from various Latin American countries and, unsurprisingly I guess, tended to be from very well-off backgrounds. And I noticed exactly what you're saying about their self-identification--that they tended to emphasize that they were 'pure European' or things to that effect. I always found that puzzling, and because I got the impression (perhaps wrongly) that they meant "European as opposed to 'Hispanic' " rather than, say, "European as opposed to Peruvian/Salvadorean/etc.," I just assumed this was primarily a racial comment, that it was more or less a way of insisting "I am white" and that this was important to them for some reason. But perhaps it was meant strictly with reference to social hierarchies within their own countries, and nowhere else?

Interesting...well maybe this is a case where looking at it from an American perspective is causing me to misread things a bit. When I was in college, I did have a few friends who were foreign students from various Latin American countries and, unsurprisingly I guess, tended to be from very well-off backgrounds. And I noticed exactly what you're saying about their self-identification--that they tended to emphasize that they were 'pure European' or things to that effect. I always found that puzzling, and because I got the impression (perhaps wrongly) that they meant "European as opposed to 'Hispanic' " rather than, say, "European as opposed to Peruvian/Salvadorean/etc.," I just assumed this was primarily a racial comment, that it was more or less a way of insisting "I am white" and that this was important to them for some reason. But perhaps it was meant strictly with reference to social hierarchies within their own countries, and nowhere else?

It's a rather complicated issue. Latin American people, except perhaps native Latin Americans (meant as a "Native American" counterpart), in general don't have a clear identification with their countries further than pulling out flags when their national football teams play. Similarly to the US, these countries have grown on immigration, mainly from Europe, but differently from the US these immigrants, for a number of reasons have not set roots in these countries in the way immigrants to the US did. There was always a nostalgia in them, a desire to return to the homeland, possibly because these countries, while giving them opportunities never made them feel at home and never gave them anything to be proud of, something which of course they, as part of the society, didn't contribute much to, but naturally would never recognise.

This results in a lack of true identity and a desire to belong. In some way white Latin Americans are like adolescents: they don't know exactly who they are and want to be part of the "cool" group, which to them is not home but rather the first world. But then, while they revel in their first world fantasy (brand clothes, technology, etc.), they know, though they'd rather not, that they are still Peruvian, Brazilian, Argentine, etc. and that's how people in the first world see them. Maybe to Europeans and Americans this fact is not necessarily pejorative, but to the great majority of white Latin Americans it is, as a result of their own perception of their homeland. And this leads to the resentment part: "we want to be like them but they, with their policies don't let us".

About asserting their "whiteness", there is something to it because there is a strong racism in these countries, especially towards natives, probably because they remind them where they really come from. But then of course everybody, with typical first world political correctness will be utterly horrified at the mere idea of discrimination, though in the safety of their trusted circles will be nonchalantly deprecating the "negros de mierda" (literal translation: "fucking niggers").

"This crisis was caused by the irrational behavior of white people with blue eyes, who thought they knew everything and now show they know nothing," Lula da Silva said after a meeting with the UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown in the country's capital of Brasilia.

Mr. President, it's true we're mostly white.

But some of us have brown or even green eyes.

check your passport

i've checked. I really want my italian passport right now. thanks God I'm more european than brazilian. but what can I do if i was born here... and NOW WITH THIS BRILLIANT PRESIDENT!
i hate him, I REALLY HATE HIM! i've shame of him... :reject::reject:

Guess I better invest in those brown contact lenses. :shifty:

i've checked. I really want my italian passport right now. thanks God I'm more european than brazilian. but what can I do if i was born here... and NOW WITH THIS BRILLIANT PRESIDENT!
i hate him, I REALLY HATE HIM! i've shame of him... :reject::reject:

You shouldn't be worried about single stupid statements by your President too much.

No, HE'S STUPIED.
You don't have ANY idea... Really... he CAN'T EVEN SPEAK PORTUGUESE RIGHT... He says things that you wouldn't believe...
:sigh:

Sounds strangely familiar.
I was also referring to your "Ashamed to be..." comment. I mean, your President might not be the greatest, in your eyes at least, but you don't have to apologize for him or for being Brazilian.

Sounds strangely familiar.
I was also referring to your "Ashamed to be..." comment. I mean, your President might not be the greatest, in your eyes at least, but you don't have to apologize for him or for being Brazilian.

I know but... I can't understand why he does this kind of thing... He said that Brazil wouldn't have ANYYY problem with the financial crisis. COME ON. WTF IS WRONG WITH HIM?

I know but... I can't understand why he does this kind of thing... He said that Brazil wouldn't have ANYYY problem with the financial crisis. COME ON. WTF IS WRONG WITH HIM?

He's a brazilian poltician. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom