Bono on "Huckabee" Saturday night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If someone is offended by Mike Huckabee they gotta get your head checked. He seems like a down-to-earth reasonable man who can listen and carry a conversation on many topics. He is very far from 'foaming at the mouth' types.

I don't understand how you can state that earlier that you are "an outsider" and then act like you know enough about Huckabee to make such a statement like this.

Yes he's likeable, but there's plenty about Huckabee as a presidential candidate that makes him scary. I suggest you do a little research.

I agree, that's quite an onedimensional view. Human beings are more complex than that and I wish more people would follow Bono's example to do as much in life as possible - in Bono's case with the benefit of helping others. "Being a rock star" surely can be considered to bring fulfilment in life for some people, but I'm glad Bono isn't one of them. As a person and as an artist, his political work is what shapes him and I think that's quite special in a world where so much is superficial and hedonistic.

Please don't lump all 'religions' in the same pile.

I'm not dumping any religions in the same pile. Some people might have an issue with the way he mixes religion and politics, at one point years ago he said there should be no separation. I'm just trying to tell you why some people might have issues with him. That is what you asked, isn't it?

Here's a picture of Bono with Tim Tebow, to make people feel better-or maybe not.

TebownBono.jpg

Not sure if you're being glib or not, but this is probably true in many ways. At least he's more conservative than he used to be.

You haven't heard Bono, who sits on the board of a private equity firm, say anything about Occupy Wall Street. And you won't.

I was just joking, but yeah, most celebrities can't say anything about the Flea Party protests because they're in the evil 1%.

Rachel D. said:
I was just joking, but yeah, most celebrities can't say anything about the Flea Party protests because they're in the evil 1%.

Many have said something about it. Some have said they are part of the 1% and understand their fight while others have mocked them such as yourself.

Armstrong's currency as a celebrity included the rapport he had built up with "the enemy". Had he not done that, noone would have paid attention to him. He leveraged his position for good. Bono's currency as a celebrity isn't much different.

You can retain your soul and your street cred with your people (or, fans) all you want...but if you want the majority of the world to pay attention when you speak, you have to have attempted to bridge the gap between you and them beforehand. In so doing, there will always be people who will call you a sell out/uncle Tom, etc. That's how regressive minds work.
Fair enough. You may be right! I'm glad someone has taken time to actually engage with the issues I raised. Compliments.

Their motivations don't matter, what matters is the result.
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying, earlier -- it essentially comes down to an "ends vs. means" disagreement. If -- and it's a big "if" -- this is as simple as life vs. death, as you think, then of course I'll take your position and accept the means as justifying the preferable ends. But I don't think it's that simple, as I tried to illustrate earlier by way of analogy. There does come a point in negotiating and in forming strange bed-fellows where the goals of the end get lost in the means, I think. Not necessarily with politicians (which Bono is not), but particularly with artists. Personally, I think it is important for artists to lead by example of honesty and truth, rather than to lead by cleverness and negotiation. The U2 of the 1980s would probably agree with me, and Bono today would clearly agree with you. I don't profess to have the answer to this issue, but I simply think it's worth discussion, whereas your reactionary position precludes even this.
I'm sorry, but in this instance your way is wrong
Again, I don't have a "way". I'm not arguing for anything, and I'm not hopeful of swaying Bono (or you). I'm simply willing to engage in a discussion about an interesting issue. By contract, you have literally turned your brain off to even considering any alternate positions.

For Last Unicorn and BVS:

This was BVS's exact statement: "But one thing I've learned, is that fans would rather their rock stars to look cool than be effective."

As you see, BVS referred to "rock stars", not to people in general. If I'm going to talk about, for example, plumbers being effective, are you going to assume that I meant an effective plumber is someone who is good at origami?

The Panther said:
For Last Unicorn and BVS:

This was BVS's exact statement: "But one thing I've learned, is that fans would rather their rock stars to look cool than be effective."

As you see, BVS referred to "rock stars", not to people in general. If I'm going to talk about, for example, plumbers being effective, are you going to assume that I meant an effective plumber is someone who is good at origami?

Words escape me, that's truly some one dimensional thinking. Bravo :applaud:

Words escape me, that's truly some one dimensional thinking.
Of course it is! It's my attempt to explain your and Last Unicorn's mis-interpretation of my remark. In order to make it clearer, I made a one dimensional statement. However, you've still missed it.

By the way, what was the point of your post, other than to insult me?

The Panther said:
Of course it is! It's my attempt to explain your and Last Unicorn's mis-interpretation of my remark. In order to make it clearer, I made a one dimensional statement. However, you've still missed it.

By the way, what was the point of your post, other than to insult me?

My point is that you underhandedly attack others for not engaging, yet that's exactly what you're doing here by pretending like you didn't understand the context of this discussion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom