Bono on "Huckabee" Saturday night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's much braver and effective than just ranting and mocking from the stage. But one thing I've learned, is that fans would rather their rock stars to look cool than be effective. :shrug:

I missed it, but if Bono wasn't being sardonic when he said that...Jesus. Just incredible how a man could change so much in 20 years (I realize he said Regan the Statesman and not Regan the politician, but still...)

It is possible to recognize qualities of your opponents without necessarily agreeing with everything about them.

As an a outsider to the US, I don't see Huckabee as a crazy and why people on the left don't embrace him. I see him as a Republican I would actually vote for. (If I were to vote Republican). What has he done that is so wrong?

nothing scandelous per say...its more about him being a dumb minister from arkansas. media doesn't really care for your intelligence if you get your advice from the bible as opposed to some esteemed professor from an ivy league think tank.

seems nice 'nuff, but country boys aren't meant for politcs in the US.

I don't think what he said at the end was any sort of big deal. I heard it more as of a bland statement to be vaguely complimentary of Huckabee in a manner his viewers could get behind without actually saying anything vs "gosh, I sure liked that Reagan and what he stood for."

I presume Bono believes that partisanship and divisiveness is luxury stance that some can afford. Whereas team work and cohesion is much more difficult. If politicians don't co-operate on some issues then in essence it isn't much more than bad theater.

I am not sure why U2 fans are not giving him full support on what he is doing in Washington. No one should have any gripe with him being apolitical and working on real human development issues.

As an a outsider to the US, I don't see Huckabee as a crazy and why people on the left don't embrace him. I see him as a Republican I would actually vote for. (If I were to vote Republican). What has he done that is so wrong?

I don't know about "wrong" but possibly his religious bent, saying that Obama grew up in Kenya, his "glorifying out of wedlock children" comments about Natalie Portman. I'm sure there are other things you could find online. Probably because he's on Fox he automatically engenders a certain opinion.

I didn't see it but my take on Bono is that it might be the typical Bono tendency to get emotionally and verbally carried away in the moment. Honestly who knows how much he even knows about Huckabee other than what he was told by some other politician (s) , Googled, whatever. I hardly think he's mellowed so much that he would be a Reagan supporter or apologist.

Is there a way to watch this interview online? I had no idea Bono would be on TV again. Great to see that we have another controversy based on something Bono said. It has been a while, like, what, a week?

Yes, I think from everything we know about Bono, there should be no doubt that he is an absolute republican Reagan fan and anti Obama :wink:

U2 fans tend to lose their faith quite easily.

Reagan is considered by many conservatives (and some democrats) to be the standard for modern day president, politician, or statesman. Faux Newts is very conservative leaning, despite that their calling card is "fair and balanced".

Huckabee, despite what people here think about him, is adored by his viewers and appears "father-like" and perhaps "grandfather-ly" to some if not many.

Bono has a serious life or death message that he wants to get out to as many people as possible. Getting on Faux Newts is just another outlet to champion his message, which obviously has a higher calling, and should appeal to anyone with a heart bigger than their lust for greed.

I believe Bono even alluded to the fact in the interview that as he's grown up he's learned to see things differently, or take a different approach, etc. Don't remember his exact quote. Given all of this, and the fact that he's truly doing a noble cause tremendous justice, i have absolutely no problem with his comment.

Huckabee is no Reagan, but im sure that comment made him "aww shucks" goofy and it made up for the banjo jingle bells act that followed. Since Huckabee gave him air time it didnt hurt to butter him up a little bit.

Thanks for posting the links, watching part 1 now. Great interview so far, always good to see Bono being so passionate and also so knowledgeable about the causes he's promoting. But I think the question about why dying children in Africa concern him as a human being is just stupid. :huh:

Reagan is considered by many conservatives (and some democrats) to be the standard for modern day president, politician, or statesman. Faux Newts is very conservative leaning, despite that their calling card is "fair and balanced".

Huckabee, despite what people here think about him, is adored by his viewers and appears "father-like" and perhaps "grandfather-ly" to some if not many.

Bono has a serious life or death message that he wants to get out to as many people as possible. Getting on Faux Newts is just another outlet to champion his message, which obviously has a higher calling, and should appeal to anyone with a heart bigger than their lust for greed.

I believe Bono even alluded to the fact in the interview that as he's grown up he's learned to see things differently, or take a different approach, etc. Don't remember his exact quote. Given all of this, and the fact that he's truly doing a noble cause tremendous justice, i have absolutely no problem with his comment.

Huckabee is no Reagan, but im sure that comment made him "aww shucks" goofy and it made up for the banjo jingle bells act that followed. Since Huckabee gave him air time it didnt hurt to butter him up a little bit.

I haven't watched the interview yet, but this post is totally :up:

his "glorifying out of wedlock children" comments about Natalie Portman.

I think that is being to hyper-sensitive.

I don't know about "wrong" but possibly his religious bent

Please don't lump all 'religions' in the same pile.

If someone is offended by Mike Huckabee they gotta get your head checked. He seems like a down-to-earth reasonable man who can listen and carry a conversation on many topics. He is very far from 'foaming at the mouth' types.

Bono about running for president: That would be a very scary moment for the world :lol:

Great interview overall, I have no opinion on Huckabee cause I don't know the guy, but the last comment about Reagan was a bit strange, I felt that Bono may be overstretching it a bit with his empathy. But then again, he might have been sarcastic here, following his comment about himself running for president.

Bono about running for president: That would be a very scary moment for the world :lol:

Great interview overall, I have no opinion on Huckabee cause I don't know the guy, but the last comment about Reagan was a bit strange, I felt that Bono may be overstretching it a bit with his empathy. But then again, he might have been sarcastic here, following his comment about himself running for president.

You have to be born in the US to be President. Bono was born elsewhere.

The fact that Bono will talk to anyone, conservative or liberal, and treat them w/respect is one of the things I admire and like most about him. I'm glad he isn't reduced to a cliche' like most celebrity "activists", w/their hyper partisan (and typically ignorant) ranting. Bono has also been effusive in his praise of George Bush (even when he doesn't have to be), which I'm sure also annoys many (including some of his fellow band members).

I'm not a particularly big fan of Huckabee, but the smug condemnation by some because Bono went on his show is kind of sad (and revealing), IMO. The same people who have a problem w/this would likely cheer Bono going on, for example, Keith Olbermann's show, which only illustrates how smart Bono is in avoiding the small time political pettiness that some of his fans apparently cant.

He cares more about his cause and reaching people than the pathetic party politics that dominate the political debate, and this only stregnthens his credibility and sets him apart. If he became associated w/only one political ideology, a lot of the doors that are open to him now would close, and his effectiveness (and stature) would be greatly diminished.

So everyone's getting their shorts in a knot over Bono saying something non-negative about Reagan? That just shows that he's above taking pot shots at people he doesn't agree with in order to remain nonpartisan for a greater good, which is more than can be said about most people, famous or not.

The fact that Bono will talk to anyone, conservative or liberal, and treat them w/respect is one of the things I admire and like most about him. I'm glad he isn't reduced to a cliche' like most celebrity "activists", w/their hyper partisan (and typically ignorant) ranting. Bono has also been particularly effusive in his praise of George Bush (even when he doesn't have to be), which I'm sure also annoys many (including some of his fellow band members).

I'm not a particularly big fan of Huckabee, but the smug condemnation by some because Bono went on his show is kind of sad (and revealing), IMO. The same people who have a problem w/this would likely cheer Bono going on, for example, Keith Olbermann's show, which only illustrates how smart Bono is in avoiding the small time political pettiness that some of his fans apparently cant.

Well said. :up: This is especially ironic since Bono was just on The Daily Show and many here thought that was fantastic. But now that he's on a non-liberal show? Horrors!

It's much braver and effective than just ranting and mocking from the stage. But one thing I've learned, is that fans would rather their rock stars to look cool than be effective. :shrug:
Effective at what? A rock star's job is to be effective at being a rock star -- i.e., at making music.

Whether Bono or Justin Bieber or Mary J. Blige is a shrewd humanitarian or not is neither here nor there when it comes to their "rock star" cred.

When I say I don't personally enjoy seeing Bono chatting up dodgy politicians and right wingers, I don't say it to condemn Bono the rock star. I say it because I'm not convinced that doing it the way he does is the right way.

Effective at what? A rock star's job is to be effective at being a rock star -- i.e., at making music.

Whether Bono or Justin Bieber or Mary J. Blige is a shrewd humanitarian or not is neither here nor there when it comes to their "rock star" cred.

When I say I don't personally enjoy seeing Bono chatting up dodgy politicians and right wingers, I don't say it to condemn Bono the rock star. I say it because I'm not convinced that doing it the way he does is the right way.

Which part do you think has not worked out so well for Bono...the rock star thing or the activist thing?

And he doesn't even belong in the same sentence w/the other "celebrities" you mentioned.

And if he didn't spend time chatting up "dodgy politicians and right wingers", there would likely be a lot more dead Africans today. So you decide what's more important...Bono catering to the political sensitivities of his fans, or saving lives?

Back
Top Bottom