Bono confronts Obama, America on Israeli-Palestinian conflict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Obama's comments yesterday, in appointing (former) Senator Mitchell special envoy to the Middle East. 'Bolder' than anything Bono said and, whaddya know, Washington didn't come apart at the seams when he said it!

Now, just as the terror of rocket fire aimed at innocent Israelis is intolerable, so, too, is a future without hope for the Palestinians.

I was deeply concerned by the loss of Palestinian and Israeli life in recent days and by the substantial suffering and humanitarian needs in Gaza. Our hearts go out to Palestinian civilians who are in need of immediate food, clean water, and basic medical care, and who've faced suffocating poverty for far too long. Now we must extend a hand of opportunity to those who seek peace. As part of a lasting cease-fire, Gaza's border crossings should be open to allow the flow of aid and commerce, with an appropriate monitoring regime, with the international and Palestinian Authority participating. Relief efforts must be able to reach innocent Palestinians who depend on them. The United States will fully support an international donor's conference to seek short-term humanitarian assistance and long-term reconstruction for the Palestinian economy. This assistance will be provided to and guided by the Palestinian Authority.

Lasting peace requires more than a long cease-fire, and that's why I will sustain an active commitment to seek two states living side by side in peace and security. Senator Mitchell will carry forward this commitment, as well as the effort to help Israel reach a broader peace with the Arab world that recognizes its rightful place in the community of nations. I should add that the Arab peace initiative contains constructive elements that could help advance these efforts.

Last edited:
I know I'm very late to this party but staying on a friend's couch in DC and traveling back home and such afforded very little internet access.

I was so, so proud of Bono for his Palestine remark. It made me really happy. That is all.

Would the Israelis be upset that Bono hinted that it's controversial to wish this for Israelis?

I think it was controversial because the US tends to support Israel's side, and so what Bono did was challenge conventional American thinking. And he's right, of course; the Palestinians need to have their voices heard, too.

No offense intended at any Israelis here. I'm not taking sides.

Of course not. But did you notice him rocking out to everyone else, and him sitting completely stoned face/pissed during Pride? Bizarre. And by the way, HBO edited out his reactions in the replays.

BTW, I just watched it again and HBO didn't edit anything out.

In fairness mostly the discussion has been another Israel/Palestine thread, only tangentially related to Bono or what subtle geopolitical hints he may or may not have dropped out there.

I know I'm very late to this party but staying on a friend's couch in DC and traveling back home and such afforded very little internet access.

I was so, so proud of Bono for his Palestine remark. It made me really happy. That is all.

Same here, and I noticed when watching Bono perform. He received a huge cheer from the folks who were there. I don't think anything that Bono said was confrontational. In fact, he was very respectful. To President Obama and the American people.

We have survived a horrible eight years, starting with 9/11 and Bono knows this. He also knows, the average Joe or "Joe the Plumber" wants to see peace in this region and better U.S. foreign policy, where as, we are willing to listen to both sides and to act with diplomacy.

last I heard, the actual Joe the Plumber had different feelings on the way forward. Of course he's not really holy, Joe or a plumber, but that's by the by.

Go to You Tube and watch the rehersal of U2 performing at the "We are one" concert. Bono says "Palestinian dream....cease fire." It's pretty cool.

Go to You Tube and watch the rehersal of U2 performing at the "We are one" concert. Bono says "Palestinian dream....cease fire." It's pretty cool.

I noticed that as well. He DID NOT say "Israeli dream" during rehearsal - it's as if he was obligated to say that during the real thing.

I think he was told to say "an Israeli dream", so he wouldn't piss off some of the American Press. But, I think he should have been allowed to say "cease fire." Because, he has been knocked in the right wing press, as coming off as too simplistic, like yeah Bono, all they have to do is dream. And the bang, bang and bombs will just go away. They treat him as though he is stupid. I don't think he is.

He also said "a South American dream." Wonder why, this was changed to a "European dream?" Perhaps to controversial for Rush Lumbaugh and friends?

The ceasefire was declared on the 17th, the concert was on the 18th.

Why do you think he says "an American dream" instead of "an African-American dream"?

Good question, yolland.

Honestly, I don't know the answer to this. What are your thoughts?

I want to retract my previous statement. I don't think anyone told Bono what to say.
He speaks from his heart. I admire this about him.

Back
Top Bottom