Biological sex and gender identity: differences and overlaps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

INDY500

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Facebook sex changes: which one of 50 genders are you? - Telegraph

Facebook sex changes: which one of 50 genders are you?
The list of 50 gender options in full
Agender
Androgyne
Androgynes
Androgynous
Bigender
Cis
Cis Female
Cis Male
Cis Man
Cis Woman
Cisgender
Cisgender Female
Cisgender Male
Cisgender Man
Cisgender Woman
Female to Male
FTM
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Male to FemaleMTF
Neither
Neutrois
Non-binary
Other
Pangender
Trans
Trans Female
Trans Male
Trans Man
Trans Person
Trans*Female
Trans*Male
Trans*Man
Trans*Person
Trans*Woman
Transexual
Transexual Female
Transexual Male
Transexual Man
Transexual Person
Transexual Woman
Transgender Female
Transgender Person
Transmasculine
Two-spirit

The world only spins forward. Dissent is not an option.

Who fucking cares?

What kinda attitude is that? Isn't choosing one's gender a civil right? Well it soon will be and apathy will not be an option. You will be shamed, bullied or indoctrinated into caring.

You wanted a consequence of same-sex marriage and its insistence on the interchangeability of the sexes?

Here ya go.

Although that list is pretty fucking ridiculous, who gives a shit what someone wants to identify as? INDY, if you are implying that you would be outraged if someone from the other side of the country decides to call themselves one of those 50 genders, you need to take a long hard look at yourself. It's not you, and it doesn't affect you.

You wanted a consequence of same-sex marriage and its insistence on the interchangeability of the sexes?

Here ya go.

you keep saying you're not ignorant, but then you go and post things like this.

you have no idea what you're talking about.

again, are you confused? do you think because i'm gay i'm also transgendered?

Well gosh, if it wasn't for same-sex marriage being legalized, no one would even think to identify as transgender or anything other than just plain ol' male or female!

Apparently there have never been any transgender people before this!

I don't see anything wrong with the Facebook thing, it's good. Although a lot of the genders listed are essentially the same thing, no? (ie. Cis Male and Cisgender Male) It comes down to which term one prefers.

I do not see why this whole facebook thing has to be mentioned here. INDY, if you want to start a discussion on the whole transgender community and facebook, be my guest but start a new thread.

Since transgenderism has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Facebook has caught the gay. I cant even open up the app and not feel confused about who I am and what I like.

Consequences guys, consequences

Apparently, the gay can spread virtually. The internet needs to be quarantined until we get this gay thing all sorted out.

I'm confused... Male and Female aren't on that list. Are they just a given, or is there some other way it's being phrased? One of the acronyms I don't recognize? I'm sincerely asking this question....

Before this Facebook change, I was fairly certain who I was/am.

Now it's apparent gender is a choice.

I have to rethink my whole life

I imagine they did a massive study just to make sure not to step on any toes by including every last desired gender title but one.

No, it's a common term in gender theory circles. It means, people who identify as the gender they were assigned at birth. It's an effort to normalize people who wear all these other identities by pointing out that the most common gender identification model is in fact an identification model, not a natural state, and refusing to call it the 'normal' one.

Is this concept of cisgender a new one? Because this Facebook thing is the first I've heard of it.

i heard about cisgender just a few weeks ago, like i wasn't aware of it as a term as recently as 2013, and i've had some exposure and experience with transgendered individuals.

anyone who's ever met someone brave enough to live out the gender they identify with when it's opposite the one they were given at birth is incredibly brave and deserving of empathy and support. it's an incredibly difficult thing -- can you imagine growing up and feeling incredible discomfort not with how your own body looks (as we all do) but with what it actually is? to think that anyone takes it lightly is insulting.

trans individuals have a journey much harder than that of gay folk, and i can't pretend to know their struggle, not just with themselves, but because of how acceptable it is to ridicule them and how often they are targets of violence, not just by men but by women as well.

No, it's a common term in gender theory circles. It means, people who identify as the gender they were assigned at birth. It's an effort to normalize people who wear all these other identities by pointing out that the most common gender identification model is in fact an identification model, not a natural state, and refusing to call it the 'normal' one.

That says it all. Normal is now a pejorative in "gender theory circles." Normal is "just an identification model." Normal is not inclusive you see.

Now some of us are more than satisfied with the two biological sexes and think this all the nonsensical theories of gender studies post-grad dissertations*. An early April Fools joke. But alas, as I said, this is our future. The next civil right. The Left needs a new supply of victims to illustrate the inherent bigotry of America. The Left needs to remove the Adam and Eve notion of the sexes from the conversation.

* Which is not to say there isn't a very, very small percentage of the population that truly struggles with this and deserves empathy, counseling and reassignment surgery or hormone therapy when warranted. This can be done on a personal level however.

Now some of us are more than satisfied with the two biological sexes and think this all the nonsensical theories of gender studies post-grad dissertations*. An early April Fools joke. But alas, as I said, this is our future. The next civil right. The Left needs a new supply of victims to illustrate the inherent bigotry of America. The Left needs to remove the Adam and Eve notion of the sexes from the conversation.
This is some "Bush did 9/11" YouTube comment type shit.

Here I thought cisgender was a pun, seeing as in Chemistry you have Cis and Trans configurations of molecules. :reject:

Cis is a Latin prefix meaning this side of, where trans means the other side or across. Trans meaning you identify as a different gender than the sex you were born As and cis the same. So yeah it's a similar idea to cis and trans in chemistry.

I work at a university, not in academia, so I've been familiar with the terms for a while. Also, this is obviously not the correct thread to discuss sex versus gender.

I'm sorry to continue the discussion, but I'm just more confused now. What's the difference between identifying as Male and identifying as Cismale?

Back
Top Bottom